'Cheap' rods and reels

ChrisTaylor
Has liked: 27 times

'Cheap' rods and reels

Post by ChrisTaylor » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:37 pm

First, some context:

I'm a primary school teacher. To cut a long story short, next year my role expands to include science (I already teach technology). Our school is within walking distance of a branch of the Dandenong Creek (there's a reserve). Being of a 'hands on' mindset, I'm planning for my biology unit to be mostly based around our local environment. We'll focus on animals and plants that live in the local area. I'm especially interested, of course, in aquatic animals -- in part because carp, for instance, are a nice way of talking about how some animals have evolved in such a way that they'll out-compete almost anything, and will not only survive but flourish in glorified puddles.

Basically, I'm taking students fishing (and ponding and etc). With the exception of carp, everything caught -- eels, redfin, goodness-knows-what-else (three-eyed fish, etc) -- will go back into the drink after we take some pix and maybe rock out the measuring tape.

I want cheap rods and reels. A decent number of 'em, too. I'd prefer they weren't entirely crap, so I'm actually asking for advice as opposed to hitting the fishing section of Kmart. They'll be used by children, and one of my 'costs of doing business' is knowing at least one reel will be fully immersed at some point. I have a budget that also has to pay for a lot of other stuff, so I can't go 'cheap' in the sense of a shopping trolley full of Shimano Siennas. It's certainly part of my vision that there's, at minimum, 10-12 of these setups (i.e. in a worst-case-scenario, the gear would be shared on a one-between-two basis when a class visited the reserve). Basically, I can't justify 10-20 * a $50 reel for something each grade might do once or twice in the year (it's possible a select group of interested students might end up spending more time down there, and I'd like to use the gear again in following years). It has occurred to me that if I knew what I wanted, it might be worth asking a local tackle store -- we're not too far from a decent one -- if they could cut us a sweet deal, given we'd be buying in quantity.

Suggestions?

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Re: 'Cheap' rods and reels

Post by 4liters » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:58 pm

I'd just get Jarvis Walker combos from Kmart unless a tackle store is willing to do it cheaper. Take the handle screw out of each one and put some loctite on it because kids are great at pulling them off and losing both the screw and the handle. You might need to give them a quick service next time you use them if they're going to be sitting around gathering dust for 12 months after the first trip because reels don't like long periods without use.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

ben475
Has liked: 161 times

Post by ben475 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:56 pm

$10-12 kmart Jarvis walker combo's aren't too bad.
Got one for my son, the rod is ok, the reel is bit ordinary but still works ok! can't ask for much more for $12.
I will put a better reel on it oneday, the rod is fine for ordinary use though.

KeenAds
Has liked: 23 times

Post by KeenAds » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:11 pm

I was envolved in something similar not long ago with our local youth group I volunteer at occasionally. We used handlines and we picked them up for $3 each from kmart allready rigged and ready to go. Also got some cheap jarvis walker tackle to re tie rigs and lines incase of tangles and snags. The good thing is there is nothing to break and after a quick rinse off they can be used over and over again in years to come.

Nightwish

Post by Nightwish » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:22 pm

Earlier this year l was on the gold coast with my son for a futsal tournament and had a chance to fish in the canals up there but didn't have a rod so l bought a telescopic rod from Kmart for $15 which had a reel and line on it and actually caught some nice bream so that would get my vote for your students.
:cheers:

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”