Tiagra vs Talica vs Saltiga

scott__henning
Has liked: 1 time

Re: Tiagra vs Talica vs Saltiga

Post by scott__henning » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:13 pm

canned_tuna wrote:
scott__henning wrote:Pretty simple. Tiagra if you want mono.

Talica if you don’t mind backing with braid.

I just sold a tiagra to buy a talica, they are leaps and bounds ahead of the tiagra in terms of weight, power and size
Sorry to hijack the post...Scotty have you sold the old boat yet or is it for sale again??
Nah mate the bloke who bought it had a health issue and has to sell.

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:34 pm

young_buck wrote:Thanks for the suggestions and advice.

No real preference to run braid or mono, however, the general vibe is Talica and Tiagra's very similar quality wise. The Talica may be the option being a little smaller and lighter.
Would the Talica 25 be able to handle a 100Kg+ tuna or worth going up to the 50? Would much rather be prepared than be stuck cursing the fishing gods.

Really appreciate the reply's though!

Cheers
25 is fine for barrels. A 50 is what you'd use deep dropping for swords

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:28 am

yepi'mon
Has liked: 36 times

Post by yepi'mon » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:50 am

ducky wrote:The question you have to ask yourself is “do I want to run braid or mono”

The Talica is a popular reel for those that run heavy braid with a mono topshot. It’s also a lot more comfortable to handle due to it’s smaller size.

The tiagra is the best mono reel you can buy. You do have the option of running braid on it for ridiculous line capacity.

I know very little about the saltiga overheads but I thought they were more jigging reels than trolling? Take that with a grain of salt.
Best mono reel for what reason? Line capacity?

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:17 pm

I have several Tiagra 50WLRS and my brother has a Talica.

Talica is lighter, (from memory I think narrower), smoother (slightly) and has an open top frame.

After using the Talica I would go for the Tiagra when using braid for 2 reasons.

Tiagra has lower gearing which gives you more grunt particularly helpful for Tuna.

Tiagra is a lot cheaper, $600ish vs $900ish for the 50 size.

But I would probably buy a Talica 25 over a Tiagra 30W.

Paulanderson
Has liked: 50 times

Post by Paulanderson » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:43 pm

Something I suggest you need to consider is that you have no control over what ends up on your line - a BFT may be 20 kg, 100 kg, 150 kg or even larger. While a Tiagra may be bulkier and heavier than some other options it is designed to cope with protracted fights with large game fish. I prefer Penn Internationals anyway and never had one lock up during many years of game fishing but Tiagras are also good game reels.

Food for thought.

Paul

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:29 am

Paulanderson wrote:Something I suggest you need to consider is that you have no control over what ends up on your line - a BFT may be 20 kg, 100 kg, 150 kg or even larger. While a Tiagra may be bulkier and heavier than some other options it is designed to cope with protracted fights with large game fish. I prefer Penn Internationals anyway and never had one lock up during many years of game fishing but Tiagras are also good game reels.

Food for thought.

Paul
Great point Paul I was grateful the day my 215 kg blue marlin took the lure of my mates 50 tiagra spooled with 36 kg mono we were almost down to the spool when we started getting line back. If you put out a large bait you never know what will take it I am happy with my tiagra,s and don’t find them cumbersome unless you try casting them

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”