Daiwa

User avatar
bowl
Rank: Premium Member
Rank: Premium Member
Posts: 5663
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:30 pm
Location: Wyndham Vale

Re: Daiwa

Postby bowl » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:37 pm

Saltist Nero they have 4500 series 1 at anaconda for 100$.
I have 2



Remove these ads.

User avatar
Kimtown
Rank: Premium Member
Rank: Premium Member
Posts: 899
Joined: Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:29 pm

Re: Daiwa

Postby Kimtown » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:55 pm

Really appreciate the posts, especially redfish14 who put what I needed to hear in laymens terms for someone that isn't a fish gear guru

Redfish14
New Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:24 pm

Re: Daiwa

Postby Redfish14 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:35 pm

Thanks kimtown and good luck with the purchase. Remember money can’t buy happiness, but it can buy fishing gear and it’s basically the same thing!

cobby
Rank: Gummy Shark
Rank: Gummy Shark
Posts: 2045
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:39 pm

Re: Daiwa

Postby cobby » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:16 am

Redfish14 wrote:There really is no comparison to the gosa, it’s the clear leader in the segment. Saltists are upgraded BG’s with magseal shaft, line roller and Airbail. The gosa is cheaper than a saltist, sealed and has stronger gears. The bg is no slouch and a terrific reel for the price, it’s just a lower price point reel than the gosa.

For a comparison to a Sedona try the new exceler lt reels. They’re the new spool sizing and model. I haven’t tried one myself but would be my pick of the cheaper daiwas


Bog standard Saltists don't have mag seal but the Saltist Nero does...

For offshore reels
BG - Spheros
Saltist Nero - Saragosa
Catalina - Twinpower
Saltiga - Stella

Light spin
Sienna - Revros
Sedona - Aird or new Excellor
Nasci - Gen Black
Stradic - Sol
Stradic ci4 - Luvias
Twinpower - Certate
Exsence/Stella - Exist/Steez

rodderslw
Rank: Cephalopod
Rank: Cephalopod
Posts: 110
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:09 am

Re: Daiwa

Postby rodderslw » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:29 am

Kimtown wrote:Dont know much about Daiwa models.. used a friends one on the weekend and it was really nice. Might look into them. Can someone make a direct comparison to Shimanos?
What in the spin series is equivalent to Saragossa and Sedonas? How is the quality and durability compared to Shimano/Penn?

Also any other brands worth looking at other than Shimano/Penn (which are all my current spin reels)


Daiwa and shimano are the big players in the market. They own their own factories and have better design and research capabilities. Some other brands get their reels from genrric factories that make reels and put their branding on them.
I have generally liked Daiwa for rods and Shimano for reels but the new LT series seem really nice and have larger and improved main gears. Their sizes now fall in line with Shimano sizes. I bought a Daiwa Exceller 2000 LT recently and am impressed by the build quality for a $120 reel. Will need to see how it goes long term.

purple5ive
Rank: Premium Member
Rank: Premium Member
Posts: 5644
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:59 pm

Re: Daiwa

Postby purple5ive » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:57 am

cobby wrote:
Redfish14 wrote:There really is no comparison to the gosa, it’s the clear leader in the segment. Saltists are upgraded BG’s with magseal shaft, line roller and Airbail. The gosa is cheaper than a saltist, sealed and has stronger gears. The bg is no slouch and a terrific reel for the price, it’s just a lower price point reel than the gosa.

For a comparison to a Sedona try the new exceler lt reels. They’re the new spool sizing and model. I haven’t tried one myself but would be my pick of the cheaper daiwas


Bog standard Saltists don't have mag seal but the Saltist Nero does...



All current model saltist ( saltist, saltist LTD and Saltist Nero) have magseal.
Small Fish Specialist :-D :-D :-D



Remove these ads.

User avatar
ducky
Rank: Premium Member
Rank: Premium Member
Posts: 3719
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:17 pm

Re: Daiwa

Postby ducky » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:55 am

The way it pretty much stands is. For sub $350ish reels Shimano is spanking daiwa. Above that it’s pretty break even. 5 years ago it was a different story but daiwa has lost its way a touch and Shimano have left them for dead.

As for the others. They are miles off.

cobby
Rank: Gummy Shark
Rank: Gummy Shark
Posts: 2045
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:39 pm

Re: Daiwa

Postby cobby » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:16 am

purple5ive wrote:
cobby wrote:
Redfish14 wrote:There really is no comparison to the gosa, it’s the clear leader in the segment. Saltists are upgraded BG’s with magseal shaft, line roller and Airbail. The gosa is cheaper than a saltist, sealed and has stronger gears. The bg is no slouch and a terrific reel for the price, it’s just a lower price point reel than the gosa.

For a comparison to a Sedona try the new exceler lt reels. They’re the new spool sizing and model. I haven’t tried one myself but would be my pick of the cheaper daiwas


Bog standard Saltists don't have mag seal but the Saltist Nero does...



All current model saltist ( saltist, saltist LTD and Saltist Nero) have magseal.


They've gotta get onto their website then.

Magseal :down: we really need an eye roll smiley in here

purple5ive
Rank: Premium Member
Rank: Premium Member
Posts: 5644
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:59 pm

Re: Daiwa

Postby purple5ive » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:25 am

cobby wrote:
purple5ive wrote:
cobby wrote:
Redfish14 wrote:There really is no comparison to the gosa, it’s the clear leader in the segment. Saltists are upgraded BG’s with magseal shaft, line roller and Airbail. The gosa is cheaper than a saltist, sealed and has stronger gears. The bg is no slouch and a terrific reel for the price, it’s just a lower price point reel than the gosa.

For a comparison to a Sedona try the new exceler lt reels. They’re the new spool sizing and model. I haven’t tried one myself but would be my pick of the cheaper daiwas


Bog standard Saltists don't have mag seal but the Saltist Nero does...



All current model saltist ( saltist, saltist LTD and Saltist Nero) have magseal.


They've gotta get onto their website then.

Magseal :down: we really need an eye roll smiley in here


yeah its on there, just not on the preview.

i agree about the magseal, i dont buy my daiwa reels for that though, if its there well and good, otherwise its no biggie..

and agree with ducky too, shimano have been releasing some decent stuff recently.
Small Fish Specialist :-D :-D :-D

User avatar
Kimtown
Rank: Premium Member
Rank: Premium Member
Posts: 899
Joined: Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:29 pm

Re: Daiwa

Postby Kimtown » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:33 am

Ok it sounds like I should just stick to saving up for a gosa

Thanks guys lel



Remove these ads.


Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests