Shimano game spinning outfit?

Millzee
Has liked: 42 times

Re: Shimano game spinning outfit?

Post by Millzee » Sun May 27, 2018 9:12 am

The OPFTS77m is an awesome bit of gear. Rated at PE 5, 2.31m, it's strong enough for most fishing yet is sensitive enough to feel flaties when bottom bashing and the length is very easy to use in a small boat. I an a 8k reel on this rod and it was a true favorite. The PE 6 OPFTS82MH is a much longer and heavier rod. Although only going up from a pe5 to 6, you soon notice the extra length being 2.48m but can control the rod well enough. I run an 18k on this rod and it becomes a great outrigger style set up out the side of the boat to help spread the lures. This rod is a real work horse and would handle everything around our oceans nd again, still sensitive enough to pick up nibbles from smaller fish while bottom bashing but not as fun to use as the lighter 77M. The extra length isn't an issue around the boat and makes it more versitle, eg. casting off the rocks ect. If you don't want to spend too much another great rod to look at is the GT Special from the Bluewater series. It's a PE 8 and strong as an ox. Cats huge lures with ease and is my go to when the bigger barrels are around off Portland. I stick a 25k Saragosa on it for trolling and have confidence that I'll land whatever decides to take the lure.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Sun May 27, 2018 3:27 pm

It will be mainly used for marlin and tuna
I already have 3 x 15 to 30lb terez for bottom bashing.
So smallest the new rod will be used for is kings or gummys

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Sun May 27, 2018 5:37 pm

You need a short rod 5ft ish. You will never apply enough drag pressure with an 8ft rod or you will be in a world of hurt.

The older Stellas were good the new ones not so much. The Saltigas are better than Stellas.

Overheads are better again.

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Sun May 27, 2018 5:44 pm

frozenpod wrote:You need a short rod 5ft ish. You will never apply enough drag pressure with an 8ft rod or you will be in a world of hurt.

The older Stellas were good the new ones not so much. The Saltigas are better than Stellas.

Spot on. The girls like long rods but they end up hurting the angler fighting a big fish. 6ft would be the absolute longest i'd go

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Sun May 27, 2018 6:32 pm

frozenpod wrote:You need a short rod 5ft ish. You will never apply enough drag pressure with an 8ft rod or you will be in a world of hurt.

What are good short spinning rods?

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Sun May 27, 2018 6:39 pm

Depends on if you’re hooking them on the cast or on the troll. If trolling go short. If casting all day you’d want 7’ minimum.

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Sun May 27, 2018 6:40 pm

Sinsemilla wrote:

Spot on. The girls like long rods but they end up hurting the angler fighting a big fish. 6ft would be the absolute longest i'd go
I have only over heads at the moment 2 tld 50s on 5 foot rods and 2 tld 30s 6 foot rods.

Am i better getting a spinning outfits or just another overhead?

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Sun May 27, 2018 6:41 pm

ducky wrote:Depends on if you’re hooking them on the cast or on the troll. If trolling go short. If casting all day you’d want 7’ minimum.
Never cast for game fish.

Presume your talking about using stick baits?

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Sun May 27, 2018 7:56 pm

smile0784 wrote:
Sinsemilla wrote:

I have only over heads at the moment 2 tld 50s on 5 foot rods and 2 tld 30s 6 foot rods.

Am i better getting a spinning outfits or just another overhead?
I thought he might have been referring to Calcutta casting reels or something.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Millzee
Has liked: 42 times

Post by Millzee » Sun May 27, 2018 10:40 pm

If your never going to cast with it and want a short rod, invest in a Wilson Live fibre Venom, awesome range of rods.

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”