Rod recommendation- 20-60gm stickbaits

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Rod recommendation- 20-60gm stickbaits

Post by Mattblack » Thu May 03, 2018 10:20 am

Hi Guys,
Can anyone recommend a good rod for throwing out 20-60gm stickbaits? I'm wanting to pair it up with a Shimano Saragosa 10000 and will mainly be used from a boat. Budget would be around $200'ish

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Re: Rod recommendation- 20-60gm stickbaits

Post by purple5ive » Thu May 03, 2018 11:17 am

i am currently using a NS amped offshore series rod for this, but can only cast upto 50gm with it.
i have the older model one piece 701XH, theres a newer 2 piece out now that can do a bit better

https://www.motackle.com.au/ns-amped-rod.html

this is the newer model
https://www.tacklewarehouse.com.au/rods ... -rods.html

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Thu May 03, 2018 11:19 am

I recently bought a t curve king Mack spin to replace a rod that was stolen. I use to with a 10000 saragosa and love it. It’s slightly dearer $299

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Thu May 03, 2018 11:42 am

Thanks guys (not too sure what to do here, you have both given me great advice in the past!)...is 7ft the best length?
Last edited by Mattblack on Thu May 03, 2018 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Thu May 03, 2018 11:55 am

King macks are a great rod too, I used to own one.
Theres also the revolution offshore series and also the terez from shimano, the Demon blood and saltist series from daiwa but the prices go up.
crucis hoodlum is another one.
generation black has a rod that can cast 50gms and also the atomic arrowz has one of the same rating.

I went for the NS because it was a lot skinnier than most others which have quite large/thicker grips which I wasn’t comfortable with

yeah 7 foot would be ideal size, not too short or too long where it can get tangled with other **** if your on a smaller craft

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Thu May 03, 2018 1:01 pm

I used a Daiwa salty on the latest Portland trip, the skipper used a kingmack, (Yeah Steve, it got christened yesterday lol). They load and behave very differently, as per usual, the Daiwa loads up right through the blank, whereas the kingmack is a lot stiffer, and relies more on a tippy sort of action.
I reckon the kingmack is better for a sweeping movement when retrieving stickbaits, but it's all down to personal preference I guess.

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Thu May 03, 2018 2:03 pm

purple5ive wrote:i am currently using a NS amped offshore series rod for this, but can only cast upto 50gm with it.
i have the older model one piece 701XH, theres a newer 2 piece out now that can do a bit better

this is the newer model
You follow rod cast weights that closely?

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Thu May 03, 2018 2:08 pm

Sinsemilla wrote:
purple5ive wrote:i am currently using a NS amped offshore series rod for this, but can only cast upto 50gm with it.

this is the newer model
You follow rod cast weights that closely?
to a certain degree yes, specially if your belting out cast after cast.
i will still cast heavier lures but i wont load it up as i would a lighter lure.
if you have seen the NS rod i have in person you will mistake it for a whiting rod hahaha its that skinny, so i cant afford to take chances with it.

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Thu May 03, 2018 2:18 pm

I can't say I've ever had a problem. I've spent days casting heavier than rated lures. Especially from a boat. I can see land based fishos trying to get every last mm out of their casts so really loading a rod up with a bigger than rated lure might be dangerous. I'd also say that the rating isn't a maximum before the rod breaks. Its the weight rating that the rod works the best at. If you snap rods from casting a bit heavier than rated lure i dare say its either the rod or the technique of the person casting

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Thu May 03, 2018 2:42 pm

Sinsemilla wrote:I can't say I've ever had a problem. I've spent days casting heavier than rated lures. Especially from a boat. I can see land based fishos trying to get every last mm out of their casts so really loading a rod up with a bigger than rated lure might be dangerous. I'd also say that the rating isn't a maximum before the rod breaks. Its the weight rating that the rod works the best at. If you snap rods from casting a bit heavier than rated lure i dare say its either the rod or the technique of the person casting
what sort of lures are we talking about that you have no issues casting that are heavier than rated? and how far are you casting said lure?
i have always stuck to what the rods been rated to whether that be bream, squid or pelagics
i have pushed it, but not by much.

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”