Tld for swords?

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Re: Tld for swords?

Post by smile0784 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:01 pm

Hosery wrote:
scott__henning wrote:I’d do your best to get a tiagra 50, they have the same drag plate as the 80 and you can adjust the drag to suit, whereas the TLD will crumble under the same strain.

Out of Vic, you are just as likely to hook a 200kg+ fish as you are a 100kg fish, and 8kg of drag just wont cut it, those sword are stubborn and you are asking for a loooooong fight otherwise.

You should be able to pick up a second hand reel already spooled up with braid if you have a good look.

The last thing I’d wanna do is spool the TLD up with $250 worth of braid and your rig only to have it fail on a fish and loose the lot.

When you consider that you’re probably going to use $200-300 worth of fuel just to get out there, $500 for a second hand tiagra is worth it.
That is the plan to get a bigger outfit that is designed for the job. Just with my wedding and honey moon in a couple of months any that’s where all my savings are going to. So was hoping to get by with the tld for 1 or 2 trips than upgrade next season.

Fair point on loading a tld with $200 od of braid and wasting that aswell. Might just have to put the dream on the back burner for another season.

I read a few reports of you having a crack at a sword. Any luck yet? Or having another crack at them shortly?
If you only need for only a once or twice use in a year can you borrow from a mate?

scott__henning
Has liked: 1 time

Post by scott__henning » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:15 pm

I’ll be heading out of lakes I’d say. Longer run offshore but bit easier to do a day trip cos it’s only a 2 hour drive to the ramp from home

Hosery

Post by Hosery » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:58 pm

smile0784 wrote:
Hosery wrote:
scott__henning wrote:I’d do your best to get a tiagra 50, they have the same drag plate as the 80 and you can adjust the drag to suit, whereas the TLD will crumble under the same strain.

Out of Vic, you are just as likely to hook a 200kg+ fish as you are a 100kg fish, and 8kg of drag just wont cut it, those sword are stubborn and you are asking for a loooooong fight otherwise.

You should be able to pick up a second hand reel already spooled up with braid if you have a good look.

The last thing I’d wanna do is spool the TLD up with $250 worth of braid and your rig only to have it fail on a fish and loose the lot.

When you consider that you’re probably going to use $200-300 worth of fuel just to get out there, $500 for a second hand tiagra is worth it.
That is the plan to get a bigger outfit that is designed for the job. Just with my wedding and honey moon in a couple of months any that’s where all my savings are going to. So was hoping to get by with the tld for 1 or 2 trips than upgrade next season.

Fair point on loading a tld with $200 od of braid and wasting that aswell. Might just have to put the dream on the back burner for another season.

I read a few reports of you having a crack at a sword. Any luck yet? Or having another crack at them shortly?
If you only need for only a once or twice use in a year can you borrow from a mate?
Na not really a option. All my mates either have no boator a little tinny so don’t have big gear. Only option is a mate has big old banger think it’s a diawa sealine. It would be a 50 size but with a massive line capacity. No idea on if it would stand the test it is old

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:25 pm

Would you consider a penn senator 9/0.

How would that size reel go?

Something like this
https://m.ebay.com/itm/PENN-Senator-9-0 ... SwvGlac8HK

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:12 pm

smile0784 wrote:Would you consider a penn senator 9/0.

Something like this
Parts for those could be hard to come by if they aren't officially distributed in Australia.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:14 pm

Can ordrr part from usa only takes 3 weeks to get here

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:16 pm

Something like this
They were good reels but the spool to frame gap is large so not well suited to braid.

Drag is also small, less heat capacity but works well though.

We have several of them and no longer use them.

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:03 pm

Hosery

Post by Hosery » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:29 pm

Something like this
That baby looks like it was built before I was thought of. No idea on what’s it’s like but if I was buying another outfit it will be a tiagra moats likely. Only considered running my tld so I can have a crack and not wait till next season 12 months down the track.

Hosery

Post by Hosery » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:38 pm

smile0784 wrote:How about trolling triton series

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Shimano-Triton-t ... 2924449988
That to me looks much the same as a tld just in a 80w.

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”