Amazon

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Re: Amazon

Post by 4liters » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:11 am

Www.amazon.com.au
If anyone was expecting a bonanza of cheap fishing gear prepare to be disappointed (for the moment)
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:55 am

yep first thing i searched for was Daiwa :o_0: , I am dissapoint son !!!

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:38 pm

4liters wrote:http://Www.amazon.com.au
If anyone was expecting a bonanza of cheap fishing gear prepare to be disappointed (for the moment)

How can you be disappointed when you can now buy this!!
41ZJacuWmqL__AC_AA218_.jpg
41ZJacuWmqL__AC_AA218_.jpg (6.71 KiB) Viewed 1088 times

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:03 pm

Mattblack wrote:
4liters wrote:http://Www.amazon.com.au

How can you be disappointed when you can now buy this!!
41ZJacuWmqL__AC_AA218_.jpg
Not a bad idea

mingle
Has liked: 1 time

Post by mingle » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:59 pm

I was hoping for a lot of stuff to be as cheap as it is on the US-based site, but no go - I can get everything I searched for cheaper on ebay...

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:11 pm

mingle wrote:I was hoping for a lot of stuff to be as cheap as it is on the US-based site, but no go - I can get everything I searched for cheaper on ebay...
Yep heard thatnon the news
Not much of discounts

4liters

Post by 4liters » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:16 am

I saw someone pointing out that the thing with Amazon in the US was that it was the first major online store so it was a gamechanger for the retail sector over there. Here, in most sectors online shopping has been around for a while now so to a certain extent the retailers are used to it and perhaps won't be as affected as people thought.

The other thing is that prices of the big brand tackle are reasonably tightly controlled so I doubt there will be anyone flogging decent gear at a massive discount because as soon as the sales reps find out who is behind it they'll crack down pretty hard. Already there's a bunch of no brand crap up there, good luck to anyone who wants to take a punt on any of those reels.

Where I think it will shine is for guys like Rig Master and Downrigger Shop who bring in their own stuff. Amazon gives them a great platform for promoting that kind of business so they might be able to win a number of customers away from the traditional outlets.
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:10 am

Some online retailers seem to be the way to go with cheaper prices but i cant vouch for the long term quality

skronkman
Has liked: 4 times

Post by skronkman » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:18 am

4liters wrote: The other thing is that prices of the big brand tackle are reasonably tightly controlled so I doubt there will be anyone flogging decent gear at a massive discount because as soon as the sales reps find out who is behind it they'll crack down pretty hard.
I agree this is happening. I've even been told by a tackle store owner that a particular big fishing brands rep told him to remove a discount they advertised for a reel because it was too low, or risk the consequences. It's called "retail price maintenance" and is illegal. A wholesaler cannot tell a retailer what price to sell at. I hope amazon has some positive effect on competition in Australia.

https://www.accc.gov.au/business/anti-c ... ale-prices

Bricks and mortar Retail is already suffering big time in Australia, and amazon will no doubt exacerbate the decline. It's all part of progress and the disruption caused by technology. I know it's not necessarily a stores fault that they are forced to charge huge markups (in some cases) to cover rent and wages but I personally am tired of the paying the Australia tax and welcome Amazon with open arms and high hopes that the added competition will benefit consumers.

4liters

Post by 4liters » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:51 am

I didn’t know that was illegal. I think a few distributors might be in the poo if the ACCC decided to have a bit of a sticky beak

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”