Kastking Reels

smokin_reels
Has liked: 308 times

Re: Kastking Reels

Post by smokin_reels » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:45 am

Left hand retrieve all the way,
No switching hands after casting for me as i cast with my right.
There is always more to learn , fish to catch , places to see and friends to make.

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:40 pm

scott__henning wrote:I would strongly recommend sticking with the right hand setup. I'm left handed and wind with my left hand usually, but all my overheads are right hand wind. Took a bit of getting used to but didn't take long, it's by far the better way to go, especially if you go up to game gear where everyone will run right hand setups, or use other people's gear
I've heard of other guys saying this.. That baitcasters are better with a right hand retrieve. I don't understand why?

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:47 pm

Although I start casting & retrieving with the right hand
I always change hands at 100.

Gra

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:03 pm

Just checked, all my reels are interchangeable.
Probably because they're/I'm old

Gra

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:15 pm

M9085 wrote:
nmgar wrote:I'm right handed but I always wind with my left hand.

I want my dominant hand to hold the rod and control the fish.

It amuses me watching fishing shows and seeing the rod being passed from the left hand to the right when the fish gets difficult.
Ditto
how exactly do you wind the reel if its a right hand wind in this case????

Id love to see a left hand wind guy suddenly have to use a baitcaster or game reel cause most of them are right hand wind... :-D

Broomstick
Has liked: 2 times

Post by Broomstick » Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:44 pm

purple5ive wrote:
M9085 wrote:

It amuses me watching fishing shows and seeing the rod being passed from the left hand to the right when the fish gets difficult.
Ditto

Id love to see a left hand wind guy suddenly have to use a baitcaster or game reel cause most of them are right hand wind... :-D
I reckon most people can wind a reel with both hands - that's the easy part. It's the casting and manoeuvring the rod that's difficult. Hold the rod with your dominant hand, and wind with your non-preferred. It's a no-brainer, unless the majority of your fishing is game fishing. But even then, when game fishing there isn't any casting and often less rod manoeuvring (eg: if you're strapped into a chair) so the hand you wind with isn't so important. I wind left-handed and cast right, but have never had any issue winding with my right when game fishing.

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:36 pm

Broomstick wrote:
purple5ive wrote:
M9085 wrote:

Ditto

I reckon most people can wind a reel with both hands - that's the easy part. It's the casting and manoeuvring the rod that's difficult. Hold the rod with your dominant hand, and wind with your non-preferred. It's a no-brainer, unless the majority of your fishing is game fishing. But even then, when game fishing there isn't any casting and often less rod manoeuvring (eg: if you're strapped into a chair) so the hand you wind with isn't so important. I wind left-handed and cast right, but have never had any issue winding with my right when game fishing.
Same as Pat for me. If you are getting a baitcast reel definitely spend the time to find a left hand wind model.
As for changing hands it takes me 20 mins of using a right hand wind reel to get used to it but there are plenty of places I fish where you couldn't retrieve your lure if you were swapping hands.
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:41 pm

Broomstick wrote:
purple5ive wrote:
M9085 wrote:

Ditto

Explain to me how switching a rod from your left hand (which means the reel on it is right hand wind) to tour right hand and then trying to wind the reel with your left hand works???

Im speaking generally in reply to the comment i quoted . Re - swapping hands from left to right when fish misbehaves. ..

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:48 pm

They don't steve, that's part of why it's funny.
The fish goes for a big run or a strong lunge for structure and they swap the rod to their right hand to help fight the fish and then back to the left as soon as they need to wind again
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:37 pm

Yeah well thats one easy way to loose a fish. All it needs to do is shake its head or make a big run towards you..
Absolutely useless if you cant use the reel at that stage..

Im right handed but use the rod in my left hand and reel with my right. .

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”