Cleaning reels

Bartnmax

Re: Cleaning reels

Post by Bartnmax » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:18 am

1 Lock up the drag on yer reel
2. Wash down with soapy water & rag (including line)
Make sure you use a very mild soap - I like velvet brand soap flakes disolved in warm water (NEVER use hot water)
3. Rinse with clean fresh water (Do NOT spray with high pressure water & do NOT immerse the reel in water)
4. Remove the spool (ensureing you don't loose any components) & dry both reel & spool with a good lint free cloth/towel
5. Allow to air dry out of direct sunlight.
6. Apply a drop or two of reel oil (do not use products not specifically designed for reels) to various critical areas such as the line roller, etc.
7. Spray reel & spool all over lightly with a suitable spray such as CRCs 'Tackle Guard' or Peter Pakula's 'Maintenance Silicon Spray' (make sure you whipe any excess off).
8. Re-install the spool on the reel & store out of direct sunlight.
9. MAKE SURE YOU GET YOUR REELS SERVICED ANNUALLY OR AT LEAST BI-ANNUALLY.

Time Poor

Post by Time Poor » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:13 am

Rod - after rinsing I wipe fly rods with furniture polish, makes the line flow smoother. I do the same with spinning rods, can't see it making a difference but at least they look clean.
There is no such thing as a stupid question, only a stupid answer.

Bartnmax

Post by Bartnmax » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:16 pm

One thing that is often over-looked is the line itself.
Yet it's THE single most important piece of tackle you'll use IMO.
Yeah we all give it a good clean, etc when we use it but what else.
I remove the line from my spools each year & run it through warm water with a towel holding the line in the water, to remove any built up salt (do it more often if I think it's a problem). This also helps fight any memory which may work against you when fishing.
Whilst doing this I can also run the line between my fingers to check for nicks & cuts as well as any joiner knots (I usually re-tie em at this time).
If there's any nicks/cuts found - throw it out & re-spool with new line.
Yes, depending upon circumstances you can cut/join but anymore than two joins (not counting leaders) in the main line & it's time for new line IMO.

davjak
Has liked: 13 times

Post by davjak » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:55 pm

Fish-cador wrote:warm, delicate wash, no spin cycle.
I felt like I was on facebook for a moment.. I was looking for the "likes" button :)

Eug1

Post by Eug1 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:40 am

Thanks for asking the question Raulfc7, as a newbie to fishing I've been wondering about this as well. Now I know! Thanks to everybody for their replies. At least my el cheapo gear might last just that little bit longer.
Eug

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”