Shimano Stella

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Re: Shimano Stella

Post by purple5ive » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:59 pm

rb85 wrote:
purple5ive wrote:rb85, out of curiosity mate, what sort of gear do you own.
you seem to be of the opinion that the expensive gear is a waste of money. so what in your opinion is value for money for bread and butter species.
I own a range of gear from Stradics, Salinas, Azores, Daiwa Revros, Bait runners, Charter specials. These can be used for fishing for Snapper, Gummies etc and even for casting lures or trolling small skirts for Pelagic Species. These would be mid range product which will last a lot longer than entry level gear for the amount of fishing I do but also don't break the budget.

Expensive gear is not a waste of money for the right application Purple. If I take up Game fishing and am going to do it regularly I won't purchase TLD's will be Tiagras or Makaira's.

The construction and Drag system of a reel like a Stella is created for game like performance in a spin reel and anyone who targets calamari knows you don't need a reel to perform at the level a Stella was built for.
i cant speak for the others, but the daiwa revros is a crap entry level reel and to me im wasting my money on those sort of reels, id buy a caldia/gen black/freams as a budget reel.. it will still do everything you want it to do.

as for the stella on calamari, daiwa market the emraldas as a egi reel, it has 8kg of drag (for squid, wtf for??) and the emeraldas collosal, and few other models have hyper digigear (almost the very best of gearing) and are very highly sought after.
why bother with those reels when all your trying to catch is squid or bread and butter, well the feel you get when using a high end is obviously the reason, not the extra drag, or made for bigger species, but just the pure factor of FEEL. they certainly do feel a lot nicer to use than a reel that will do the same job for 1/4 of the price.
i certainly will never do it, as i cant justify the cost, but if others can afford to do then it then so be it.

and ps im going with cheap game setups, i certainly will never ever buy a dogfight mainly due to me not fishing game enough, but what i have got should still handle the fish that i plan to use it on. so just because its cheap doesnt mean it cant do the heavy stuff either.
i have the BG6500 and BG4000 and they come with carbon drag as std, plus some higher gear ratios than normal, time will tell how reliable they are...

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:42 pm

VooDoo wrote:Bugger Me .. All these mentions of Stella bring back memories - bloody should have done her when i had a chance :) Now i feel like an effing fool!!!

Thats gold.

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:55 pm

VooDoo wrote:Bugger Me .. All these mentions of Stella bring back memories - bloody should have done her when i had a chance :) Now i feel like an effing fool!!!
Stella!
Won't you tell me your name
I've been waiting here for hours
On the pier by the light towers
You're so shy
So just open your eyes
The little fish all form a line to be caught out in time
A long, long, long, long time ago

yepi'mon
Has liked: 36 times

Post by yepi'mon » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:45 pm

rb85 wrote:
Funny that but many fisherman share my view on people purchasing Stellas or other high end tackle when more budget friendly alternatives would be suitable. Don't know what draws you to the conclusion my view is skewed.

Circumstance and personal enjoyment have absolutely nothing to do with whether a reel is going to be used to suit it's potential or a cheaper alternative will be sufficient.

If Matt Black said he wanted a spin reel to cast lures at surface feeding pelagics for example Barrel Bluefin Tuna then a Stella would be a good recommendation. Never did I suggest I was enlightened I posted my honest opinion pure and simple after Cador asked me a question following from my sledgehammer inch nail remark. Seems that a few people didn't like the answer big deal it's not the first time doubt it will be the last.

FYI I own a range of reels and rods some cheaper others more expensive and all from various manufacturers I'm not brand loyal cost, application and the amount of use it will get are all taken into account before I buy.

I understand where you are coming from mate and have no issues with the theory or the discussion of it (any advice is good advice). What I do find annoying is your judgement on people who do decide for themselves that circumstance and personal enjoyment are part of the equation and purchase gear with it in mind. If you have the money and it provides you with an emotional benefit then why not?

The way you go about speaking your opinion's on here makes me think you are that guy at the boat ramp who loves to sit there and laugh at other blokes with comments like "all the gear and no idea" instead of lending a hand. Personally, I can't stand that bloke.

VooDoo
Has liked: 165 times

Post by VooDoo » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:51 am

blacklab99 wrote:
Na VooDoo
Ya didn't miss much mate, she wasn't that good........... :rofl:
Good to know .. Stella was very high maintenance wanted me to fork out 1K even before i get to know her well!!

Ended up chasing after See Ei Fo from Japan instead - didn't cost me an arm and a leg to date her and she have never let me down on all our outings so far.

Saw her lighter coloured cousin Efffie Jay recently ... she's good too and i have dated her as well .. as good as her cousin See Ei Fo but much younger :)

Btw ... heard you want to get rid of your Stella ... she mist be that bad heh???? :)

"VooDoo .... WhoDoo .... YouDoo .... VooDoo" The Bug (Bugatti) S.A. [2019]

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:07 am

barra mick wrote:

Thats gold.
I thought they were talking about beer, stella = commonly known as wife beater in the uk

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:53 am

There's stella and then there's the next step.
If you thought $800 for a reel for squidding was bad enough. Spare a thought for this poor bloke trying to justify his asking price .
I never got the whole balancer thing either.

Screenshot_2017-09-05-11-26-25.png
2017-09-05 11.29.12.png

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:24 pm

Braid for $200?

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:34 pm

Fish-cador wrote:Braid for $200?
Only if it magically fits 1000m on a 2500... Ocea isn't cheap, but it's not that bloody expensive

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:14 pm

cobby wrote:
Fish-cador wrote:Braid for $200?
Only if it magically fits 1000m on a 2500... Ocea isn't cheap, but it's not that bloody expensive
Compleat Angler might give it a nudge
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”