purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Re: Daiwa mag seal

Post by purple5ive » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:54 pm

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:11 pm

AE092 wrote:3 mag sealed reels for; 2 Luvias and 1 Exist and no problems. I service and clean sporadically and no issues (yet). One of the Luvias is three years old
have you replaced the magseal fuid at any stage yet??

meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Post by meppstas » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:04 pm

purple5ive wrote:adrian, do you have a link to the seller on ebay.
and do they give you instructions where to use the oil, its not something you can just put anywhere
Just go onto Ebay and type in magnetic oil for Daiwa and it will bring up the list of sellers..

Here's one from You tube on where to place the oil..

cheers
Adrian

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYgakH4LZ30
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:22 pm

meppstas wrote:
purple5ive wrote:adrian, do you have a link to the seller on ebay.
and do they give you instructions where to use the oil, its not something you can just put anywhere
Just go onto Ebay and type in magnetic oil for Daiwa and it will bring up the list of sellers..

Here's one from You tube on where to place the oil..

cheers
Adrian

Thanks i seen that video as well, but forgot to link it here, its a lot better and shows closeup nicely.
cheers

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:25 pm

Video adrian posted, also shows you how it seals from water , should put the worried at rest for now..

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:04 pm

frozenpod wrote:
cobby wrote:
frozenpod wrote:Magseal is a great idea not sure why there is so much negativity around it.
Because those of us who self service can't (couldn't) get the oil to replace it when it inevitably 'fell' into the reel itself.

I've got Daiwas, Sols, Luvias, Certates. All of them pre mag seal. I haven't and won't buy a mag sealed reel
I service all my own reels but even if I couldn't get the oil you can use regular grease and oil and just loose the magseal feature. It becomes like every other reel.
And you end up losing something you actually paid for which defeats the purpose of buying that specific reel. R&d money that could be better spent on the actual alloy mixes used for better corrosive resistance, or or how to have a tool that actually removes casting imperfections on bail arm ends that ultimately corrode no matter how well looked after and a design team that drops the wank factor out of (most) of their designs.

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:29 pm

i personally bought the reels i have for their lightweight properties, magseal is a bonus, but if it fails i wont be worried about it. as long as it doesnt ruin the gears/bearings by leaking into them. (which has happened on the saltigas from alan hawks reviews)
i should open up one of my reels and see if the oil is still there or not.

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:39 pm

cobby wrote:
frozenpod wrote:
cobby wrote:
frozenpod wrote:Magseal is a great idea not sure why there is so much negativity around it.
Because those of us who self service can't (couldn't) get the oil to replace it when it inevitably 'fell' into the reel itself.

I've got Daiwas, Sols, Luvias, Certates. All of them pre mag seal. I haven't and won't buy a mag sealed reel
I service all my own reels but even if I couldn't get the oil you can use regular grease and oil and just loose the magseal feature. It becomes like every other reel.
And you end up losing something you actually paid for which defeats the purpose of buying that specific reel. R&d money that could be better spent on the actual alloy mixes used for better corrosive resistance, or or how to have a tool that actually removes casting imperfections on bail arm ends that ultimately corrode no matter how well looked after and a design team that drops the wank factor out of (most) of their designs.
Perhaps try one before being so negative about it.

The way I see it salt water protection for reels either involves seals which add resistance or grease which adds resistance and needs to be regularly flushed and replaced.

Magseal provides the reduced resistance of oil whilst providing the seal.

Mine is probably 4 years old now (purchased when you couldn't buy the oil) and still works perfectly with minimal servicing (clean and drop of magseal oil).

I would have purchased the reel regardless of magseal and the price was slightly more than the previous model of the same reel without magseal.

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:11 pm

Do you actually use the magseal oil FP??
Ive never serviced any reels myself that magsealed but id like to of its readily available nowdays.
My reels are generally well.looked after so i dont see the need to open them up every year

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:30 pm

Yes, I bought some on ebay it is not Daiwa branded but it was magetic oil that was talked about on Alan Tani forum. Ferrofluid from memory.

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”