Rods for baitfishing

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Rods for baitfishing

Post by mazman » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:39 pm

Reading through a ms shimanos rod selection thread and not wanting to completely derail it I thought I would pose the question that it brought to the forefront of my mind.

What benefits does a high end rod give you when baitfishing off a boat (assuming no or limited casting is done).

99% of my fishing is done with artificials and then the little baitfishing I do is either using surf rods or live baits so I've never really had a play around with what you are really looking for in a bait rod.

Cheers Alex
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

Fish-Hunter

Re: Rods for baitfishing

Post by Fish-Hunter » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:57 pm

I am primarily a bait fisho, I actually prefer pure Fibreglass rods with Unsanded blanks, the less the blank has been tampered with the better, an example is Snyder Glas -

For Estuary, a slow taper

Rock, Surf, piers, a multi taper

Boat Snapper, medium/fast taper

You dont need rods that are seriously expensive, but quality rods do cost more even for bait rods. :water:

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:13 am

Personaly I prefer longer rods for landbased in the boat I use 7ft rods which I think is spot on although there is a trend now to go longer on boats up to 10 ft. For landbased 9 ft and upwards when you strike you lift more line with a longer rod to take the bow out of the line, on the boat it is usually straight up and down or the bow in the line is removed with the current

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:03 am

None that I am aware of. Even with my Kmart gummy rods I was able to detect pretty small bites and if you get a mid range glass rod like an Ugly Stick or a Silstar Power Tip reliability shouldn't be an issue.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:16 am

mazman wrote:
What benefits does a high end rod give you when baitfishing off a boat (assuming no or limited casting is done).

Cheers Alex
Funny enough for the kayak my 2 favourite light gummy rods are a pair of Sambo 8 - 10 kg OH glass boat rods 1 cost $ 9 and the other $ 18 they are matched to a couple of 501 Penn Jigmasters loaded with 20 lb mono

they would have pulled a few hundred gummies by now and the only thing I have replaced are a few end runners - now these have been high sticked and abused but still work fine

same for my ligher bait gear all the rods are cheap and are matched with Penn slammers ( 1 of the cheaper reels that holds up well for kayak fishing were most others fail )

I guess the biggest benefit to high end gear is bragging rights that you own them as for catching fish with bait there is probably little difference
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”