Alvey Reels Australia Closing Down

rb85
Rank: Gummy Shark
Rank: Gummy Shark
Posts: 1799
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:08 pm
Location: The Ocean

Re: Alvey Reels Australia Closing Down

Postby rb85 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:58 pm

Texas wrote:We can't compete with third world countries
I could get "alvey" reels made overseas, pay the workers double the standard and still sell them in Australia for 1/10 of alveys price. Keeping the quality the same.

Just saying
Gra


You are right in that respect so whats the answer shouldn't the Government and Preceding Governments be protecting Australian manufacturers from overseas competitors?

In the case of fishing Reels it's probably not as critical as steel industries or the auto industry. Cannot think of any other Australian reel manufacturer either.



Remove these ads.

User avatar
mingle
Rank: Australian Salmon
Rank: Australian Salmon
Posts: 339
Joined: Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:27 pm
Location: West Gippy

Re: Alvey Reels Australia Closing Down

Postby mingle » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:17 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TimUZZidIYk :-)

Had a muck around with one of these the other day. Didn't do this to it, but they're a rock-solid investment...

Paul Foot
Rank: Cephalopod
Rank: Cephalopod
Posts: 129
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:06 am

Re: Alvey Reels Australia Closing Down

Postby Paul Foot » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:39 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhhtF4mV9XE&list=PLUdGDRLpSjsmxbEMsKMaGOtNPbbQr2Wrv&index=1

The Alvey fishing videos are very informative and this guy still makes me laugh.

Paul Foot
Rank: Cephalopod
Rank: Cephalopod
Posts: 129
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:06 am

Re: Alvey Reels Australia Closing Down

Postby Paul Foot » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:26 am

Just watched the new ep of "Talking Fishing". not one mention of Alvey closing but spent 15 minutes talking about an identical Canadian company called Petez.

rb85
Rank: Gummy Shark
Rank: Gummy Shark
Posts: 1799
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:08 pm
Location: The Ocean

Re: Alvey Reels Australia Closing Down

Postby rb85 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:41 am

Paul Foot wrote:Just watched the new ep of "Talking Fishing". not one mention of Alvey closing but spent 15 minutes talking about an identical Canadian company called Petez.


Got to remember the motivation of a program like this.

All 3 hosts work at Tackleworlds.

User avatar
4liters
Rank: Premium Member
Rank: Premium Member
Posts: 4331
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:05 am

Re: Alvey Reels Australia Closing Down

Postby 4liters » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:58 am

To be fair those are some pretty boss looking reels.

Maybe Alvey should give in, start playing the game and send the hosts of the big fishing shows shitloads of hookers and coke like I assume the other big brands do
2015/16 Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm



Remove these ads.

rb85
Rank: Gummy Shark
Rank: Gummy Shark
Posts: 1799
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:08 pm
Location: The Ocean

Re: Alvey Reels Australia Closing Down

Postby rb85 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:17 am

4liters wrote:To be fair those are some pretty boss looking reels.

Maybe Alvey should give in, start playing the game and send the hosts of the big fishing shows shitloads of hookers and coke like I assume the other big brands do


Ha ha classic every man has their price for some it's cheaper than others I suppose.

User avatar
Kimtown
Rank: Premium Member
Rank: Premium Member
Posts: 899
Joined: Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:29 pm

Re: Alvey Reels Australia Closing Down

Postby Kimtown » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:42 pm

So I'm working away in Sale near the 90 mile beach and with the weather being the way it is I thought it would be rude not to go fishing. Only problem is I left all my gear at home so thought I'd just go to the local tackleworld here and get a cheap surf combo.

$400 later I walk out with a yellow alvey surf reel and a 12" daiwa rod plus some tackle.

I'm sad about splurging $400 like that, but at the same time I have my first alvey reel and get to see what the fuss is about. A few kind comments to make feel better about splashing so much cash would be nice lol

User avatar
ratbag
Rank: Premium Member
Rank: Premium Member
Posts: 548
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:41 pm
Location: Melbourne Eastern Suburbs
Contact:

Re: Alvey Reels Australia Closing Down

Postby ratbag » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:06 pm

Kimtown wrote:So I'm working away in Sale near the 90 mile beach and with the weather being the way it is I thought it would be rude not to go fishing. Only problem is I left all my gear at home so thought I'd just go to the local tackleworld here and get a cheap surf combo.

$400 later I walk out with a yellow alvey surf reel and a 12" daiwa rod plus some tackle.

I'm sad about splurging $400 like that, but at the same time I have my first alvey reel and get to see what the fuss is about. A few kind comments to make feel better about splashing so much cash would be nice lol


Great investment! Did they have much Alvey stock?
quid est quod eum

User avatar
Kimtown
Rank: Premium Member
Rank: Premium Member
Posts: 899
Joined: Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:29 pm

Re: Alvey Reels Australia Closing Down

Postby Kimtown » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:43 pm

ratbag wrote:
Kimtown wrote:So I'm working away in Sale near the 90 mile beach and with the weather being the way it is I thought it would be rude not to go fishing. Only problem is I left all my gear at home so thought I'd just go to the local tackleworld here and get a cheap surf combo.

$400 later I walk out with a yellow alvey surf reel and a 12" daiwa rod plus some tackle.

I'm sad about splurging $400 like that, but at the same time I have my first alvey reel and get to see what the fuss is about. A few kind comments to make feel better about splashing so much cash would be nice lol


Great investment! Did they have much Alvey stock?


The very last alvey reel they will ever have in that store apparently.



Remove these ads.


Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests