Alvey Reels Australia Closing Down

Paul T

Re: Alvey Reels Australia Closing Down

Post by Paul T » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:06 am

Hi guys,
What Alvey Reel should I match up with a 600 Rod?
Its kinda confusing me because theres so many variants?
Theres still a few reels in town, 600BT 625B 650B 650BT?

Any help would be much appreciated

Fish-Hunter

Post by Fish-Hunter » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:47 pm

Paul T wrote:Hi guys,
What Alvey Reel should I match up with a 600 Rod?
Its kinda confusing me because theres so many variants?
Theres still a few reels in town, 600BT 625B 650B 650BT?

Any help would be much appreciated
The Rod600 is a light beach/estuary rod, go a 600BT with 6kg mono, it will be balanced nicely.

Fish-Hunter

Post by Fish-Hunter » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:57 pm

Quote below from Alvey Reels Aust -
Here's a link to a thorough interview that Bruce Alvey did with the abc radio yesterday. You may find it interesting to hear some of the battles Aussie manufacturers face everyday. Best listened to on a PC with speakers, however if the play button doesn't work for you, just click download MP3. Cheers, Rob

http://www.abc.net.au/radio/brisbane/pr ... ls/8759660

Fishing fanatics have taken to social media accounts of Brisbane based Alvey Reels to share their disappointment about the companies impending closure.

The company have been in operation for 97 years and will cease trading due to a lack of demand and increasing energy prices.

Alvey Reels owner Bruce Alvey has told Steve Austin that his energy prices have doubled in recent years.

"Our electricity bill, a $5000.00 dollar bill a month."

"The part that irks you is six hundred dollars is for electricity the rest of it is fees and government charges."

Paul Foot

Post by Paul Foot » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:34 am

I will listen to the podcasts later but that electricity gouging is shocking.

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:11 am

4liters wrote:
frozenpod wrote:With the quality of Alvey manufacturing it is a shame that they didn't extend themselves to overheads.

How awesome would it be to have a top quality Australian made line up overhead game reels for Tuna, Marlin ect.
This.

They could easily be an Aussie equivalent to Avet or something.
Exactly what I was thinking.

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:27 am

Fish-Hunter wrote:
Alvey Reels owner Bruce Alvey has told Steve Austin that his energy prices have doubled in recent years.

"Our electricity bill, a $5000.00 dollar bill a month."

"The part that irks you is six hundred dollars is for electricity the rest of it is fees and government charges."

By global standards Australia has had comparatively cheap energy which has been one advantage for Australian manufacturing. Sadly the cost of energy has increased significantly recently and will increase significantly in the new couple of years.

Perhaps Alvey could invest in a solar system, I work for a small manufacture who was spending 2k per month on electricity. Installing solar reduced the bill to around 2/3rds on average and the payback period was just over 2 years.

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:43 pm

We can't compete with third world countries
I could get "alvey" reels made overseas, pay the workers double the standard and still sell them in Australia for 1/10 of alveys price. Keeping the quality the same.

Just saying
Gra

Fish-Hunter

Post by Fish-Hunter » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:31 pm

I would have to say the last few weeks have been the most emotional times for the Alvey family and our wonderful staff.

From the sadness of having to announce the closure of our business to the absolute earth shattering support from all our ALVEY anglers Australia wide has given us genuine heart felt feelings not often experienced. Our phones have not stopped ringing with words of kindness , orders for product , concerns about spare parts for their trusted ALVEY reel as well as emails I can barely keep up with and Face Book messages at an unbelievable level. All I can say on behalf of our family and our proud staff is thankyou from the bottom of our hearts.

It is apparent people still do like to buy a quality Australian made product even in tight times which we are all struggling through. People are buying reels as gifts and extras to keep aside and we will be manufacturing for at least a couple more months or even longer to fill orders to our valued customers .

People who had often thought about trying an ALVEY are now bitting the bullet and getting one which is great news.
We have only survived this long against all odds because we take pride in building a quality product that actually works better than other styles of reels especially on our beautiful beaches. Even today most Aussie Champion surf anglers all use ALVEY reels because they let the angler feel every bite, cast light or heavy baits and do not sieze up after being accidentally being dropped in the sand.

People who are worried about spare parts should not worry I am sure we will have enough to last many years and we will look into setting up a system some how to ensure Alevy users can get access to these.
Thankyou Sincerely to all of our ALVEY loyal supporters.
We will keep going as long as we have your orders to fill.

Kindest Regards
Bruce Alvey.

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Post by dazz999 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:43 pm

P1040101 (800x600).jpg
P1040101 (800x600).jpg (100.61 KiB) Viewed 575 times
got my reel today these are so well made bulletproof

Fish-Hunter

Post by Fish-Hunter » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:42 pm