Alvey Reels Australia Closing Down

ratbag

Re: Alvey Reels Australia Closing Down

Post by ratbag » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:04 pm

Kimtown wrote:The very last alvey reel they will ever have in that store apparently.
an even better investment! Hope it catches a few for you.
quid est quod eum

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:55 pm

ratbag wrote:
Kimtown wrote:The very last alvey reel they will ever have in that store apparently.
an even better investment! Hope it catches a few for you.
Thanks mate!

Off to golden beach I go!

Paul Foot

Post by Paul Foot » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:57 pm

Kimtown wrote:So I'm working away in Sale near the 90 mile beach and with the weather being the way it is I thought it would be rude not to go fishing. Only problem is I left all my gear at home so thought I'd just go to the local tackleworld here and get a cheap surf combo.

$400 later I walk out with a yellow alvey surf reel and a 12" daiwa rod plus some tackle.

I'm sad about splurging $400 like that, but at the same time I have my first alvey reel and get to see what the fuss is about. A few kind comments to make feel better about splashing so much cash would be nice lol
You will have it forever so it is a good buy. I have been waiting for 4 weeks for mine to get built.

Kimtown

Post by Kimtown » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:33 pm

Ok these things aren't easy to use.

I thought it would be pretty self explanatory like an egg beater but it's not at all. I lost 4 or 5 rigs in 10 casts, countless baits, casted sideways with minimal distance 90% of the time and had it wrapped around my handle at least 90% of the time.

I had a quick Google and I think my rod along with casting style could be the problem? Not sure though.

Paul Foot

Post by Paul Foot » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:14 pm

Kimtown wrote:Ok these things aren't easy to use.

I thought it would be pretty self explanatory like an egg beater but it's not at all. I lost 4 or 5 rigs in 10 casts, countless baits, casted sideways with minimal distance 90% of the time and had it wrapped around my handle at least 90% of the time.

I had a quick Google and I think my rod along with casting style could be the problem? Not sure though.
Very easy once you get used to it. Practice, I used to get tangles and all kinds of stuff would happen but not any more. You do have to concentrate a bit more.

Alvey was supposed to close today but they have so many orders it will be until at least October 30 and possibly Christmas. Other companies have ecpressed an interest in making the reels as well apparently.

happyfriggincamper
Has liked: 556 times

Post by happyfriggincamper » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:50 pm

Fishing Tackle Shop are still actively selling them on their website with a disclaimer. I've been waiting a few weeks on an order from them and hadn't heard anything since the initial confirmation email and pay-pal deduction. I emailed asking for an update and I got a quick and detailed reply with the guy explaining the backlog situation and putting forward the option to contact Alvey directly and confirm the story if I had any doubts. So from that I can only presume FTS and Alvey have an agreement regarding taking on the influx of orders, and I assume FTS have gotten a few impatient emails and allegations of late as well haha.

Kimtown

Post by Kimtown » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:47 am

Can they be cast well with any rod or does it help having a specific low mount reel rod?

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:58 am

Low mount I believe, and there is something different with the stripper guide on Alvey rods too from memory.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

ratbag

Post by ratbag » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:34 am

Kimtown wrote:Can they be cast well with any rod or does it help having a specific low mount reel rod?
The rod is important in the technique of casting & line management. Have a look here for info. Alvey Beach & Surf Fishing the shortened version below.

THE GEAR THE SUCCESSFUL SURF FISHERMAN USES

As in all fishing, the right rod and reel combination will improve your success. The golden rule is to fish as light as possible; the lightest line, sinker, and rod/reel that conditions will allow. Try not to anchor your bait to the bottom with a big sinker. A bait that is moving with the surge of the waves and tide action will find a lot more fish.

THE ROD

A beach rod capable of casting a heavy sinker or lure, but still with a tip light enough to cast lightly weighted baits and to “feel” the bite is best. The tip action will also enable you to hook and play a fish without placing too much pressure on the line.

The rod can be made of either hollow fibreglass or carbon composite and must be from 3.5 to 4m long. For an Alvey reel, the design of the rod is very important. The reel should sit about 20cm up from the butt and the first or stripping runner should be approximately half way along the rod. Any closer will restrict the cast. To bring the line closer to the finger guiding the line on to the reel, an Alvey open runner can be bound on to the rod above where the rod is normally held with the left hand. The open runner serves the same purpose as an ordinary runner by controlling the line when fishing, and also prevents the line cutting your fingers when playing a fish. When you are ready to cast, simply slip the line out of the open runner. Place it back in for the retrieve or fighting a fish.

quid est quod eum

Kimtown

Post by Kimtown » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:18 am

Thanks for the info, does anyone know of a YouTube video guide for better clarification? I had a search but couldn't see anything dedicated specifically to Alvey

Nvm found something

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”