Alvey Reels Australia Closing Down

HyperX

Re: Alvey Reels Australia Closing Down

Post by HyperX » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:07 pm

davek wrote:
HyperX wrote:
Fish-Hunter wrote:
HyperX wrote:australian brand doesnt have to stay in australia you do know that.
I know Bruce & Glenn Alvey, I was speaking with Bruce & Glenn only a few days ago on the phone & I raised the very same? Would you consider making Alvey e.g in China, they said it ain't happening & Glenn mentioned it would mean having to spend at least 6 mths of the year there also to over see production, Bruce & Glenn are very proudly Australian & Alvey Reels are Australian Made, many thousands of Alvey customers wouldn't probably buy a Made in China Alvey reel, I know it wouldn't interest me.

P.S Not many fishing tackle companies have been continually manufacturing for 97yrs & even during WW11 making parts for the Australian Army. So they do know something about business, only sadly its time has come to close.
i never said anything about making it in china, i mean to sell overseas. If alvery is truly superior(yes, i do know you havent stated this specific word) to other overseas brands then it wouldnt be out of business. even if production cost is high and the price of alvery isnt as affordable as other brands, if quality truly exists then it wouldnt matter. if people have enough money and confidence to buy a shimano stella then alvery would be no different
It seems you are constantly misspelling the name Alvey, cheers davo
lol ill correct it

HyperX

Post by HyperX » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:15 pm

Fish-Hunter wrote:
HyperX wrote:
i never said anything about making it in china, i mean to sell overseas. If alvery is truly superior(yes, i do know you havent stated this specific word) to other overseas brands then it wouldnt be out of business. even if production cost is high and the price of alvery isnt as affordable as other brands, if quality truly exists then it wouldnt matter. if people have enough money and confidence to buy a shimano stella then alvery would be no different
Alvey did mention changing fishing trends is taking a toll on sales also, so I guess they are a victim of changes. They do sell in the USA, a friend of mine Gene is the USA Distributor since the 1980's.

Pictured is Gene with his wife, with a great catch of Bluefish (Tailor) Alvey USA distributor -

Alvey USA -
http://www.alveyusa.com/
they're not victims of change, they just failed to keep up. they had their product in the US but i doubt that it did well since they are closing down.
look, the point im getting at is that the reason why they are closing down is because they got out competed by companies who do "better".
if cheap imports are the problem, then they could make cheaper ones(shimano ranges from 20-1200), if trends are changing they should have a look.
the government not supporting local brands and cheap imports may have played a part in their closure, but the biggest problem was themselves

Fish-Hunter

Post by Fish-Hunter » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:22 pm

^^
You don't even use Alvey reels. Alvey fishermen use side cast reels, we support Alvey because they make side cast reels. You obviously know nothing about using side cast reels & haven't fished with them before either. So don't bother commenting any further, Alvey are & always will be an Iconic Australian reel that is loved by True Blue Aussie fishermen.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:37 am

Fish-Hunter wrote:^^
You don't even use Alvey reels. Alvey fishermen use side cast reels, we support Alvey because they make side cast reels. You obviously know nothing about using side cast reels & haven't fished with them before either. So don't bother commenting any further, Alvey are & always will be an Iconic Australian reel that is loved by True Blue Aussie fishermen.

tbh if the company has the same attitude as this it was inevitable that they'd go out of business. You've got to look to improve constantly, if not the products themselves then the manufacturing and administration side of things to get the costs down. Clearly they haven't and the only real advantages they offer is their reliability and ruggedness.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Bayrock
Has liked: 34 times

Post by Bayrock » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:50 am

Fish-hunter which Alvey would you recommend for general surf use.. for salmon tailor gummies etc?
And what sort of rod would match well?
Last edited by Bayrock on Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fish-Hunter

Post by Fish-Hunter » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:19 am

Bayrock wrote:Fish-hunter which Alvey would you recommend for general surfbuse.. for salmon tailor gummies etc?
And what sort of rod would match well?
The Alvey 6500BCVRRT (Rapid 65) - http://alvey.com.au/products/6500bcvrrt/

Mated to a Snyder Glas Fish Striker MT7144 Low Mount rod or an Alvey 6500 Custom beach king rod http://alvey.com.au/products/rod6500/

Fish-Hunter

Post by Fish-Hunter » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:32 am

4liters wrote: tbh if the company has the same attitude as this it was inevitable that they'd go out of business. You've got to look to improve constantly, if not the products themselves then the manufacturing and administration side of things to get the costs down. Clearly they haven't and the only real advantages they offer is their reliability and ruggedness.
Well, there's plenty Alvey haters here am sure, just waiting for the chance to open up here so they can trash the Alvey name, others here genuinely care for Alvey & that they are closing down 'like myself'.

Either you Like Alvey reels or Not. :cheers:

ratbag

Post by ratbag » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:30 am

have a cup'a cocoa and settle! ;-)

In todays fishing world we have some many choices of rods, reels, lines etc and each to their own choices. While a few fishos have the luxury to purchase & collect a fishing arsenal bigger than most independent retailers stock, there are brand loyalists with passion. :super:

This thread started out as great tribute to Alvey, its history & the sad state the business is now facing. The great thing about any Alvey reel is it longevity! not many reels will last ½ the distance an Alvey will and can go, however that is one of many contributing factors to their demise. The Alvey business can cannot survive in todays world solely on the Aussie fishing market and like others have said, it needed to diversify its model. Maybe moving manufacturing would've, could've help sustain it, maybe growing the brand in other countries could've, would've help sustain it or maybe a change of view from outside the company could've saved it. Who knows as we are not in the Alvey business.

I think they needed some modernisation to their line up to attract the younger fishos who have no issue in purchasing stellas, saltigas, catalinas, twinpowers etc. this may have helped them stay in with the development Wilson, Shimano, Finnor, Daiwa etc have done to keep attracting buyers. It's worked for Fish-Hunter in his great collection! :P

I like an Alvey just as much as I like other brands & I've purchased gear overseas for delivery to Aus, maybe there was an opening for Alvey.

I hope they find a solution to remain open, however it seems unlikely & it'll be a huge loss to the loyal staff & Alvey family as well as us fishos - where quite a few of us cut our teeth on an Alvey.
quid est quod eum

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:07 am

Fish-Hunter wrote:
4liters wrote: tbh if the company has the same attitude as this it was inevitable that they'd go out of business. You've got to look to improve constantly, if not the products themselves then the manufacturing and administration side of things to get the costs down. Clearly they haven't and the only real advantages they offer is their reliability and ruggedness.
Well, there's plenty Alvey haters here am sure, just waiting for the chance to open up here so they can trash the Alvey name, others here genuinely care for Alvey & that they are closing down 'like myself'.

Either you Like Alvey reels or Not. :cheers:
It's not about being an 'alvey hater' or anything like that, it's about the company's unwillingness or inability to adapt to new developments. If their product development people have simply sat around a table looking at a high end spinning reel saying it's a piece of junk because you can't kick it around in the sand, rather than looking at features like compact size, high drag rating, ability to use braid, line retrieval rate and so on, and looking at ways to introduce those features into an Alvey then this was only ever going to end one way.

So they're great for surf and rock fishing if you are happy to use mono, don't mind a slowish line retrieval and like washing your reels on salt water. But how many people does this actually apply to though?

It's got nothing to do with hating a product and everything to do with people choosing products based on features they feel are important.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:15 am

rb85 wrote:The other issue is anglers prostituting themselves to foreign manufacturers..
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Nearly fell off my chair just then
Fish-Hunter wrote:
rb85 wrote:The other issue is anglers prostituting themselves to foreign manufacturers. Why would an impressionable child want to purchase an Alvey when known media personalities are endorsing the big names. These very same industry whores then post their sadness on social media about an iconic Aussie brand going bust. Go figure.
Exactly they make you Sick

There were several so called wannabe celebrity anglers who used to use & endorse Alvey etc, but as soon as the Big name imported fishing reel companies come knocking & offering sponsorship & $$, these fishing wannabe celebrity whores prostituted themselves instantly & started proclaiming their new sponsors, all for the $$ & free fishing gear + their so called 5 minutes of fishing celebrity TV air time fame etc
WELCOME TO THE REAL WORLD GUYS (Aka Modern day fishing)

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”