Alvey Reels Australia Closing Down

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Re: Alvey Reels Australia Closing Down

Post by 4liters » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:46 pm

Only being suited to mono limits their appeal these days I think and is one area where they've fallen behind the times. They don't seem particularly well suited to lure fishing either which is something that has really taken off since the original design.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Fish-Hunter

Post by Fish-Hunter » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:49 pm

HyperX wrote:i've never used alvery reels before but if they are as good as people say it is, then i doubt it will be closing down

:water:
Last edited by Fish-Hunter on Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fish-Hunter

Post by Fish-Hunter » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:56 pm

Last edited by Fish-Hunter on Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:02 pm

Fish-Hunter wrote:
4liters wrote:Only being suited to mono limits their appeal these days I think and is one area where they've fallen behind the times. They don't seem particularly well suited to lure fishing either which is something that has really taken off since the original design.
A few guys on my FB page https://www.facebook.com/ERBBFISHING/ fish braid & lures successfully with their Alvey's -

Ben's, Alvey & SP's caught Mulloway

Daniel quotes-
"Gday.. I recently put 65lb braid on my 651c5 alvey reel... you HAVE Wear the glove which I got off eBay for 2 bucks or you'll cut ur fingers off!! Got a number of tailor and a couple of mullaway on the weekend"

But yes I agree, Spinning & bait caster reels are better suited to SP's & lure fishing. Alvey's are a great live bait & bait fishing reels.
meh, it seems like the same logic as the blokes fly fishing for cod or snapper or whatever. It can be done but it isn't the most effective way to catch fish

It's just a pity they can't come up with something smaller and compact with a better retrieve rate because that sort of durability in a smaller package would be awesome on the kayak.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Fish-Hunter

Post by Fish-Hunter » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:13 pm

^^
My favourite size Alvey is the 650 size 6.5" diameter spool models, many prefer the 700 sizes 7" spool version. The smaller models e.g 400, 500, 600 suit estuary, river, lakes, Alvey have a huge following in QLD & NSW, but as I mentioned, the company doesn't get much repeat business, so it's the end of the road :(

Anyway, I'm not too worried as I have enough Alvey reels to last me almost forever & even enough to be passed down, I doubt my Shimano Twin Power reels will be around in several yrs time, they will be most likely obsolete & possibly no parts available for them either, nice reels but not made to last very long, so i doubt these reels pictured below will be around long enough to be passed down as my Alvey reels will be.
Last edited by Fish-Hunter on Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

HyperX

Post by HyperX » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:13 pm

Fish-Hunter wrote:
HyperX wrote:i've never used alvery reels before but if they are as good as people say it is, then i doubt it will be closing down
Well if you never used them before, you couldn't under stand.

Alvey is basically closing, due to the many cheap imports & poor government policy that doesn't support Australian manufacturing. Also the fact that loyal Alvey owners never need to buy them again, as once you buy an Alvey reel it lasts for several lifetimes, they are generally handed down from generation to generation, many Alvey fisho's still use their grandfathers Alvey reel from the 1950's, making a product of such longevity isn't exactly good business practice in today's throw away society, hence low sales, as there's no repeat business from the many thousands of loyal users...

P.S How can anyone call themselves an Aussie angler & not own an Australian made Alvey reel (Since 1920).
australian brand doesnt have to stay in australia you do know that.
those "cheap" imports you call them all probably started in a tiny factory with the same company and customer scale as alvery.
yet look what has happened. im not saying that alvery is bad or anything, but the fact that they stagnated and failed to innovate.
yes, its very sad to lose them, but it was meant to be

Fish-Hunter

Post by Fish-Hunter » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:21 pm

HyperX wrote:australian brand doesnt have to stay in australia you do know that.
I know Bruce & Glenn Alvey, I was speaking with Bruce & Glenn only a few days ago on the phone & I raised the very same? Would you consider making Alvey e.g in China, they said it ain't happening & Glenn mentioned it would mean having to spend at least 6 mths of the year there also to over see production, Bruce & Glenn are very proudly Australian & Alvey Reels are Australian Made, many thousands of Alvey customers wouldn't probably buy a Made in China Alvey reel, I know it wouldn't interest me, similar to my previous Harley Davidson FXSTC Soft Tail Custom if it was Made in China it will not interest me.

In fact HD is like comparing an Alvey to Shimano, e.g Harley Davidson to a Honda CBR1000RR Fireblade. The Harley is old school like Alvey & the Fire Blade is like a Shimano Stella.

P.S Not many fishing tackle companies have been continually manufacturing for 97yrs & even during WW11 making parts for the Australian Army. So they do know something about business, only sadly its time has come to close.
Last edited by Fish-Hunter on Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.

HyperX

Post by HyperX » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:35 pm

Fish-Hunter wrote:
HyperX wrote:australian brand doesnt have to stay in australia you do know that.
I know Bruce & Glenn Alvey, I was speaking with Bruce & Glenn only a few days ago on the phone & I raised the very same? Would you consider making Alvey e.g in China, they said it ain't happening & Glenn mentioned it would mean having to spend at least 6 mths of the year there also to over see production, Bruce & Glenn are very proudly Australian & Alvey Reels are Australian Made, many thousands of Alvey customers wouldn't probably buy a Made in China Alvey reel, I know it wouldn't interest me.

P.S Not many fishing tackle companies have been continually manufacturing for 97yrs & even during WW11 making parts for the Australian Army. So they do know something about business, only sadly its time has come to close.
i never said anything about making it in china, i mean to sell overseas. If alvey is truly superior(yes, i do know you havent stated this specific word) to other overseas brands then it wouldnt be out of business. even if production cost is high and the price of alvery isnt as affordable as other brands, if quality truly exists then it wouldnt matter. if people have enough money and confidence to buy a shimano stella then alvey would be no different
Last edited by HyperX on Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fish-Hunter

Post by Fish-Hunter » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:38 pm

Last edited by Fish-Hunter on Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Post by davek » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:44 pm

HyperX wrote:
Fish-Hunter wrote:
I know Bruce & Glenn Alvey, I was speaking with Bruce & Glenn only a few days ago on the phone & I raised the very same? Would you consider making Alvey e.g in China, they said it ain't happening & Glenn mentioned it would mean having to spend at least 6 mths of the year there also to over see production, Bruce & Glenn are very proudly Australian & Alvey Reels are Australian Made, many thousands of Alvey customers wouldn't probably buy a Made in China Alvey reel, I know it wouldn't interest me.

i never said anything about making it in china, i mean to sell overseas. If alvery is truly superior(yes, i do know you havent stated this specific word) to other overseas brands then it wouldnt be out of business. even if production cost is high and the price of alvery isnt as affordable as other brands, if quality truly exists then it wouldnt matter. if people have enough money and confidence to buy a shimano stella then alvery would be no different
It seems you are constantly misspelling the name Alvey, cheers davo
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”