Alvey Reels Australia Closing Down

Paul Foot

Re: Alvey Reels Australia Closing Down

Post by Paul Foot » Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:22 pm

Fish-Hunter wrote:
rb85 wrote:The other issue is anglers prostituting themselves to foreign manufacturers. Why would an impressionable child want to purchase an Alvey when known media personalities are endorsing the big names. These very same industry whores then post their sadness on social media about an iconic Aussie brand going bust. Go figure.
Exactly they make you Sick :(

There were several so called wannabe celebrity anglers who used to use & endorse Alvey etc, but as soon as the Big name imported fishing reel companies come knocking & offering sponsorship & $$, these fishing wannabe celebrity whores prostituted themselves instantly & started proclaiming their new sponsors, all for the $$ & free fishing gear + their so called 5 minutes of fishing celebrity TV air time fame etc :down:
I went into a local tackle shop wearing an Alvey beanie and the dude looked at me like I had run over his dog or something.

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:31 pm

Paul Foot wrote:
Fish-Hunter wrote:
rb85 wrote:The other issue is anglers prostituting themselves to foreign manufacturers. Why would an impressionable child want to purchase an Alvey when known media personalities are endorsing the big names. These very same industry whores then post their sadness on social media about an iconic Aussie brand going bust. Go figure.
Exactly they make you Sick :(

There were several so called wannabe celebrity anglers who used to use & endorse Alvey etc, but as soon as the Big name imported fishing reel companies come knocking & offering sponsorship & $$, these fishing wannabe celebrity whores prostituted themselves instantly & started proclaiming their new sponsors, all for the $$ & free fishing gear + their so called 5 minutes of fishing celebrity TV air time fame etc :down:
I went into a local tackle shop wearing an Alvey beanie and the dude looked at me like I had run over his dog or something.
Alvey apparel obviously is not as trendy as a Japanese multinational cycling component manufacturer with factories in China, Malaysia and Singapore who produces fishing products as a side gig.

mingle
Has liked: 1 time

Post by mingle » Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:49 pm

It's horses for courses, I guess. Alveys have always been pretty basic reels, which is what makes them so long-lasting - there's bugger-all to go wrong.

But, let's face it - they are pretty limited. They're big, clunky and not fool-proof.

For chucking big baits and lures using long surf-rods, they're fine, possibly for dangling baits off the back of a boat, likewise, but for more 'general-purpose' fishing you can't beat a fixed-spool reel.

Times move on; Morgan still make wooden-framed cars, they're nice, but bloody basic to drive. You can still plug a Commodore 64 into your telly, but could you use it for everyday computing?

Some people like the older-style gear - I know someone who only fished (freshwater) using 19th century tackle. That's taking things to an extreme, but you get the idea. More modern gear is easier to use and covers more bases.

It's sad to see an iconic brand go under, but times move on and they're basically not moved since the 1940s...

Mike.

Fish-Hunter

Post by Fish-Hunter » Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:19 pm

mingle wrote:they're basically not moved since the 1940s...
Mike.
That's exactly why Alvey is so good, why change radically? The Graphite vented 6500-BCVRRT Turbo cast is an example of moving with the times.

Last edited by Fish-Hunter on Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fish-Hunter

Post by Fish-Hunter » Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:28 pm

Paul Foot wrote: I went into a local tackle shop wearing an Alvey beanie and the dude looked at me like I had run over his dog or something.
:down:
Last edited by Fish-Hunter on Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:59 am, edited 3 times in total.

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:42 pm

It is sad to see such a company stop production.
However, IMO failure to acknowledge the short comings of an alvey is just as bad as not acknowledging them as a quality product in the first place.
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:20 pm

Fish-Hunter wrote:
Paul Foot wrote: I went into a local tackle shop wearing an Alvey beanie and the dude looked at me like I had run over his dog or something.
It seems this poor attitude is mainly in Vic, other states are wised up to Alvey reels & their benefits.
Theres definitely a bit of an ego within parts of the fishing fraternity not all. Its supposed to be fun and mixing it up with different methods is part of that the Alvey would be a great reel for LB anglers at places like stockyard.

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Post by davek » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:46 pm

I use my Alveys in several different freshwater situations just not as much of late, good fun with Murray Cod.
1399786018953.jpg
1399786018953.jpg (85.07 KiB) Viewed 317 times
cheers davo
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

HyperX

Post by HyperX » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:54 pm

i've never used alvery reels before but if they are as good as people say it is, then i doubt it will be closing down

Fish-Hunter

Post by Fish-Hunter » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:42 pm

davek wrote:I use my Alveys in several different freshwater situations just not as much of late, good fun with Murray Cod.cheers davo
Nice pic Dave :thumbsup:

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”