Alvey Reels Australia Closing Down

Fish-Hunter

Re: Alvey Reels Australia Closing Down

Post by Fish-Hunter » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:35 pm

Paul T wrote:Thanks for the quick reply mate, i'm working in Braybrook tomorrow so i'll hit up BCF there and see if I can get one (or two :D) ... It will be in the water tomorrow night
I was driving past Laverton BCF the other day & dropped in for a look/see, i noticed they still had Alvey 500 combos in stock, not sure if that helps?

Paul T

Post by Paul T » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:56 pm

Yeh I live in Hoppers Crossing, go past there everyday pretty much to go to/from work.. so if I don't have luck in Braybrook, i'll swing past there on the way home :D

Fish-Hunter

Post by Fish-Hunter » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:50 pm

Paul T wrote:Yeh I live in Hoppers Crossing, go past there everyday pretty much to go to/from work.. so if I don't have luck in Braybrook, i'll swing past there on the way home :D
Nice, enjoy :a_goodjob:

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:53 pm

I don't want to be a party pooper but no body bought alvey reels because the did not move with the times. If alvey reels were superior they would be still using them. I don't see them using alveys on the mary river chucking lures for barra why because they are not the reel for the job.
They are good for surf fishing but I don't see them being used in distance casting championships relic of the past maybee some aussie firm could make a reel that the masses want. I would buy one to put on my wall as a antique.

FishnMiss
Has liked: 10 times

Post by FishnMiss » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:20 pm

It's sad to see another Aussie business go down the tubes. Never used an Alvey but heard of them. My Penn Slammers have served me well & I've never felt the need for an Alvey or most other reels. I think they got left behind when everyone jumped on the Chinese cheap cheap wagon.
If they'd made something like a Slammer I'd have been interested. Adieu sadly
" For Evil to triumph, all that Good people have to do is - Nothing "

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:21 pm

You have a point Nudie, I find I miss the speed with them, having said that I use two 500 A5 alveys on my squid poles, I love the loud ratchet when I'm away from my poles, and I don't need speed when I'm squid fishing with jags.
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

Fish-Hunter

Post by Fish-Hunter » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:35 am

:thumbsup:
Last edited by Fish-Hunter on Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

Broomstick
Has liked: 2 times

Post by Broomstick » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:35 am

This is a real shame. Like many I cut my teeth using my Grandpa's alveys when I was a little tacker and have some amazing memories of fishing with him and my old man off the beaches in East Gippsland. Alvey's aren't really conducive to the type of fishing I do now, but I've still ordered one to sit on my shelf at home.

ratbag

Post by ratbag » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:48 pm

Broomstick wrote:This is a real shame. Like many I cut my teeth using my Grandpa's alveys when I was a little tacker and have some amazing memories of fishing with him and my old man off the beaches in East Gippsland. Alvey's aren't really conducive to the type of fishing I do now, but I've still ordered one to sit on my shelf at home.
They have a great history on fishos starting out with an Alvey reel when they were a kid, I still have my first Alvey reel, 35+ years old and no bearings or mag seal :rofl: still a great bait reel & rod. With the sell out at the moment on ALveys, looks like there'll be a few sitting on a mantle or 2 for years to come.

Hopefully they find a good solution to keep the company going.
quid est quod eum

Trumpeter
Has liked: 71 times

Post by Trumpeter » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:14 pm

They were the first ever fishing reels I can remember using, my Grandpa's cedar boat reels with the little picture of the Snapper with a big hump on the side plate.

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”