Alvey Reels Australia Closing Down

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Re: Alvey Reels Australia Closing Down

Post by 4liters » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:19 pm

cheaterparts wrote:
4liters wrote:That's a real shame, they're an icon of Australian fishing. I've never used one but I have wondered from time to time if something hard wearing like an Alvey would be good on the yak.

I suppose part of the problem they faced is that more and more modern and increasingly affordable spinning reels have sealed drags or completely sealed bodies (Van Staals, the Penn Slammer III etc) so the advantages of the Alveys were no longer unique but they were still limited to niche applications.
Ian I tried a small 4.5 Inch older alvey on gummies with 20 lb mono up in the shallow end of the pool in WP and it was quite good - really easy to cast - the drag worked fine but being a small reel the rewind was a little slow to keep up with fish coming at you
a larger alvey would help this with a larger dia picking up more line each turn but they do look a bit bulky as they get larger with the limited room on the yak it's the only off putting thing
Yeah, I think you told me about that when I was thinking of getting one.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Paul Foot

Post by Paul Foot » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:30 pm

cheaterparts wrote:
4liters wrote:That's a real shame, they're an icon of Australian fishing. I've never used one but I have wondered from time to time if something hard wearing like an Alvey would be good on the yak.

I suppose part of the problem they faced is that more and more modern and increasingly affordable spinning reels have sealed drags or completely sealed bodies (Van Staals, the Penn Slammer III etc) so the advantages of the Alveys were no longer unique but they were still limited to niche applications.
Ian I tried a small 4.5 Inch older alvey on gummies with 20 lb mono up in the shallow end of the pool in WP and it was quite good - really easy to cast - the drag worked fine but being a small reel the rewind was a little slow to keep up with fish coming at you
a larger alvey would help this with a larger dia picking up more line each turn but they do look a bit bulky as they get larger with the limited room on the yak it's the only off putting thing
I use the 45BC and 40A1S in the Yak and love them. I have never caught a gummy or large snapper though. The maximum size I would use is the 500 in a Yak.

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Post by dazz999 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:59 pm

Fish-Hunter wrote:
Trumpeter wrote:Fish-Hunter what model are you using on your boat rods for Snapper, 500 C5's ?
I use the Alvey 500C5's for Snapper, best reel in my opinion & they will last for another 97yrs.

i see in your posts/pics you love the snyder rods what are you useingin this pic thanks

Fish-Hunter

Post by Fish-Hunter » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:03 pm

Silstar Crystal power tips - Model PC701SSL
Last edited by Fish-Hunter on Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Post by dazz999 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:20 pm

Fish-Hunter wrote:
dazz999 wrote:i see in your posts/pics you love the snyder rods what are you useingin this pic thanks
DIY modified Silstar Crystal power tips (shortened butts) - Model PC701SSL
thank,s buddy for the reply i was at a market the other months and a bloke had a nice looking red maybe snapper champion reel looked awesome said make me a offer told him ive got no idea if the reel still works properly but i now guess yep there bullet proof after reading about alvey

MickCov
Has liked: 13 times

Post by MickCov » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:03 pm

That is sad news.My first reel was an alvey.In one word:reliable

walkinginunison

Post by walkinginunison » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:41 pm

Echo the foregoing sentiment. By my research, they were one of the few saltwater, non-game reels not presently manufactured in China/Malaysia/Taiwan (and those that are produced outside of Asia are usually sold at intimidating prices – see, eg, https://www.innovativereeltechnologies. ... ning-reel/). It's a shame they never really garnered the same following here as they did in Qld and NSW. Even remember some years ago hearing an assistant at a Melbourne tackle shop bluntly telling a customer not to bother with them when he expressed an interest in an Alvey they had on display.

Fish-Hunter

Post by Fish-Hunter » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:49 pm

walkinginunison wrote: Even remember some years ago hearing an assistant at a Melbourne tackle shop bluntly telling a customer not to bother with them when he expressed an interest in an Alvey they had on display.
'What' it's obvious the shop assistant had no experience with an Alvey reel before or just wanted to sell what he wanted to move, it's exactly that sort of attitude that has led to the Alvey company's closure :(

Fish-Hunter

Post by Fish-Hunter » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:37 pm

Rock fishing & Alvey reels, a perfect match "No Gears, No Bearings, No Worries"..

https://youtu.be/Q1j1LuXfeGk

https://youtu.be/lNd8Qm9X8no

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:35 pm

Now we are left with sweatshop shimano and co. An Aussie pastime with no iconic Aussie manafacturers.

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”