How To Cast A Alvey Side Cast Reel

Fish-Hunter

How To Cast A Alvey Side Cast Reel

Post by Fish-Hunter » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:49 pm

I use all reels from overhead's, eggbeaters, but my favourites reels are Abu Ambassadeurs & side cast reel's from Aussie company Alvey.

Some people in Victoria haven't used one before or couldn't care to use one, but those who are interested & wanted to know how to use one & cast, international casting champion Jack Alvey shows us how in this classic vintage film footage from the 1960's.

https://youtu.be/hz5-2Kx2MEM
Last edited by Fish-Hunter on Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

JS270
Has liked: 1 time

Re: How To Cast A Alvey Side Cast Reel

Post by JS270 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:16 am

One thing that needs to be mentioned is that if your only using light line line the 12 pound in the video you then need a softer rod and cant really power into a cast . Alvey's can reach big distances but need to be set up just line any other distance rod.

Love the older video's though .

MickCov
Has liked: 13 times

Post by MickCov » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:30 am

My first reel was an alvey side cast bought from 'Gone Fishin' in reservoir on Edwards street,anyone remember that shop?Closed in about 1990.I would walk down on a Saturday morning and through the window there it was.it was 15 bucks.The thing to watch for was when casting if not careful you would get an overrun of line ending in a tangled mess.

MickCov
Has liked: 13 times

Post by MickCov » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:39 am

They were hugely popular in nsw surf fishing due to the long casting abilities and extremely simple to take apart clean and reassemble

Fish-Hunter

Post by Fish-Hunter » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:53 am

^^
I never get over runs with an Alvey. Good line management e.g laying the line evenly when winding onto the spool & not too loosely will eliminate any problems with over runs or tangles, Alvey's are very simple & easy to use.

But with my Abu Ambassadeurs overhead reels, I do get over runs every so often, especially near the end of a cast 'not too bad though'.

JS270
Has liked: 1 time

Post by JS270 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:30 am

Love casting the overheads , nothing quite beats seeing the reels empty of line .

https://youtu.be/8t90BKXZDTY

Still top distances are achievable with any of the reel styles when set up properly :-D

Fish-Hunter

Post by Fish-Hunter » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:43 pm

JS270, I watched your vid's. Amazing distances you achieve, your technique is more Pro casting level.

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”