delete

Taleb

delete

Post by Taleb » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:27 pm

delete
Last edited by Taleb on Thu May 23, 2019 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

poodoo
Has liked: 2 times

Re: Best travel rod?

Post by poodoo » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:28 pm

i got given a nitro 007 travel rod as a present and i have found it to be good. Breaks into 6 pieces and will fit in a backpack.....like all nitro stuff though it is expensive....

SIKKO_X2

Post by SIKKO_X2 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:45 pm

hey mate,
ive got a few cheap little shimano telescopic rods, they are nothing special i mainly use them when im going away with friends that arent keen fishos as they will always want to wet a line once we get there and im not going to let them use my good stuff. im sure that you could find some good quality telescopic rods

Bartnmax

Post by Bartnmax » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:37 pm

Check these out Taleb

$120 + delivery & you've got a rod for just about any situation you're ever likely to find yerself in.
36 different rods by swapping components around.
Everything from trout rod to surf.
Packs down pretty easy for hiking, etc.
Obviosly you dont have to take the lot with you if yer hiking, just the components that suit the fishing yer doing.

http://tacklebusters.com.au/details.php?prodId=82
Attachments
Travelmaster rod.jpg
Travelmaster rod.jpg (10.81 KiB) Viewed 726 times

Taleb

delete

Post by Taleb » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:06 pm

delete
Last edited by Taleb on Thu May 23, 2019 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SIKKO_X2

Post by SIKKO_X2 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:24 pm

Bartnmax wrote:Check these out Taleb

$120 + delivery & you've got a rod for just about any situation you're ever likely to find yerself in.
Obviosly you dont have to take the lot with you if yer hiking, just the components that suit the fishing yer doing.

Interesting, is it the sort of thing that you would just keep in the boot of your car in the event that you find yourself needing a fishing rod, or would you use it more regularly?

poodoo

Post by poodoo » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:25 pm

Taleb wrote:Thanks, looks good! Also what's the deal with telescopic vs. 6-5 piece rods, as in which one is better? Advantages and disadvantages??
i find the 5 / 6 piece rods are of better quality in general, they also tend to have better feel in my opinion. I have a few shimano telescopic rods as well and i have found that they tend not to take much punishment. But then again there is a significant price differential. You can get some telescopic rods or 30 bucks and 5 piece travel rods tend to be in the 100 buck and above price range. So you can get graphite versions of the 5 piece rods, in the telescopic rods you will only get fibreglass and lower grade material.

Will also depend on what you do with the travel rod. I have a 2-4 kg one that I bring along when camping or if i plan to do a quick lunch time fishing session for bream, flatties, salmon, trevally, trout etc.

Taleb

delete

Post by Taleb » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:22 pm

delete
Last edited by Taleb on Thu May 23, 2019 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

poodoo

Post by poodoo » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:19 pm

I would go into a local tackle store, add a reel and get a feel for both, will become easier to decide then.

Bartnmax

Post by Bartnmax » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:48 am

SIKKO_X2 wrote:
Bartnmax wrote:Check these out Taleb

Interesting, is it the sort of thing that you would just keep in the boot of your car in the event that you find yourself needing a fishing rod, or would you use it more regularly?
I mainly keep this rod in the car with a small tackle box & 2 reels - 2500x1 + 5000 with 2 spools.
Not much I can't fish for on the fly with this outfit.
As far as use is concerned I might head down to say Portland to visit a mate of kmine that lives there, & to do some snapper fishing with him, but if I find the salmon are running down the beach I've got an outfit. Then maybe when snapper fishing there might be a king around or maybe even a mako - I've got it covered. Maybe the whiting are running down at Morrells - no worries. Conversely if I head into the high country to do some deer hunting I've also always got a trout rod in the car. If I go duck hunting down Gippsland way & find the fish are biting down the local beach then I've also got that covered.
Just saves me having to sit down when planning a trip & saying to myself "now what type of fishing are you likely to be doing & what gear do you need to take."

I keep some SPs, a few packets of dried sand/blood/tube worms, a bit of 'stimulate' bait, plus assorted lures, hooks, etc in the small box. Pretty well got most situations covered then.

I've had (& still have) tele rods but much prefer this type of rod as I reckon they are both better made, stronger & far more versatile as well. Teles are fine but you've still only got 1 rod to use.
This type of modular rod gives me 36 diffetent combinations that when matched with the 2 reels/3 spools covers just so many situatioins - everything from trout & bream fishing to game & surf fishing. Light to heavy, short to very long. As far as versatility is concerned I've not seen anything to match these yet.

I should say here that I have absolutely no affiliation with the makers of threse rods at all.
I'm just a very happy consumer.

I do also have a 4 piece 1-3kg Okuma x-factor take down & it's also excellent for packing into trout country when combined with a 1000 reel.

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”