Rod/Reel setup for game fishing

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Re: Rod/Reel setup for game fishing

Post by smile0784 » Sat May 13, 2017 8:28 pm

If your just starting out and have to buy 4 to 6 outfits your self the 50s will do everything you need.
They will hold over 1000mt of braid and should still hold the rod on full drag with a harness on.

Most big boats will probably run 5 lures in the spead.
And have 1 or 2 spare rods.
Lot to spend.
If you do decide to get the 80 people normally use them in game chairs

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Sun May 14, 2017 12:50 am

Davidsch1 wrote:
frozenpod wrote: Bent butts allow you to put approximately 30% more drag on the fish for the same load on the person holding onto a rod.

With 37kg gear using 18kg of drag is almost impossible without bent butts. Most people will be pulled over with 12-15kg.

If you were local I can easily provide a demonstration of the difference between bent butt and straight butt rods, (there are probably articles or videos on youtube).
You might be able to do a test in a local tackle shop, put on a quality harness ie black magic Equalizer and see how much drag it takes to pull you over with straight vs bent butts.
Thanks for that info!! It seems everyone I've spoken to have pointed out that the bent butts are for vertical fishing and for chair fishing, but no one has ever explained it like you have! :r

I'll definitely try and get an actual feel and demo on both to feel and see the comparison! I'm guessing its similar to this clip on Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Mb-0clS-H4

Yep that video covers it well.

frozenpod

Post by frozenpod » Sun May 14, 2017 1:10 am

NCR has covered the issues with rods better than I ever could.

Rods are a real issue and you will likely end up getting that don't suit all applications and buying more.
Rods are also very much personal preference.

Just my opinion but the marlin rods with extra faster taper that only flex in the top 1/3 I am not fond of.

They pull lures just fine but don't feel right on a fish.

(They feel similar to the rods optimised for SP)

I found rods that had a bit more give in the mid section ie a slower taper to be better when onto a fish.

They faster/med-fast action rods are certainly are more of an all rounder compared to extra fast and I would suggest they could be a better starting point.

frozenpod

Post by frozenpod » Sun May 14, 2017 1:16 am

Davidsch1 wrote:Does Powerpro do a hollow core 130lb? I can't seem to find any here in Australia (unless I get it from overseas). It's about $500 for 1500 yards.
Any other recommendations for hollow core braid otherwise?
That is very dear. You can get similar sized spools of quality solid braid for half that price.

Powerpro hollow ace is what they call it, no idea on price.

Jerry Brown Hollow Core braid is extremely popular proven top quality produced and is decently priced.

frozenpod

Post by frozenpod » Sun May 14, 2017 1:23 am

Davidsch1 wrote:Does Powerpro do a hollow core 130lb? I can't seem to find any here in Australia (unless I get it from overseas). It's about $500 for 1500 yards.
That is very dear. You can get similar sized spools of quality solid braid for half that price.

Jerry Brown Hollow Core braid is extremely popular proven top quality produced and is decently priced.

ChrisAbout

Post by ChrisAbout » Sun May 14, 2017 6:34 am

PENN 50VSW and 24kg rolled rod. Rod has done me good for a few years now, reel is brand new.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Sun May 14, 2017 7:40 am

ChrisAbout wrote:PENN 50VSW and 24kg rolled rod. Rod has done me good for a few years now, reel is brand new.
handled that couta pretty comfortably
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Davidsch1

Post by Davidsch1 » Sun May 14, 2017 8:28 am

frozenpod wrote:

That price of $500 for 1500 yards was for the powerpro hollow ace but from overseas! I I'll have to look into jerry brown hollow braid and see what there is available in Australia.

frozenpod

Post by frozenpod » Sun May 14, 2017 10:47 am

From memory JB hollow is around $300 for a large spool.

I personally have used Tasline was brilliant cant comment on the current quality but there have been quite a few reports of issues with the light line ie 2-10lb sizes.

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Sun May 14, 2017 12:26 pm

Good info here. I won't butt in too much as my experience is limited compared to the likes of ncr and pod. But. If I was buying a spread I'd be going for a mix of 30wlrs and 50wlrs. I own one of both and I'd much prefer to fight all but the biggest fish on the 30 wide. The 50 wides are insurance for when that big sucker comes along.

Also second avoiding 80's. Way too big to fish standup.

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”