Rod/Reel setup for game fishing

Davidsch1

Rod/Reel setup for game fishing

Post by Davidsch1 » Sat May 13, 2017 9:39 am

Hi,

I am planning ahead, and doing research on the most appropriate game fishing gear for our brand new 7.6m boat when it arrives. Given that I live near Lakes Entrance, a fair bit of my game fishing will be of the shelf (eg. Canyon), and maybe a few trips to Bermie and Portland each year. Main game species I'll be targeting are marlin, tuna, and the occasional swordfish if I'm lucky enough!

I'm looking at either the Shimano Tiagra 50WLRSA, or the Tiagra 80W. Is the 80W overkill? Or is it better to get it "just in case"? Obviously price is more for the 80W.

Also, I was looking at the Shimano Tiagra T Curve game rods, but not sure if they are suited to braid. One salesman told me you don't use these rods for game fishing if you use braid - you have to get the Shimano Tiagra Ultra A rods instead (which come at a steeper price too!!). I've browsed about, and notice some use the T Curves with braid, so I'm a bit confused now.

I'm planning to spool up with 80lb Powerpro Braid, followed by 100m of 80lb black magic mono topshot, followed by a 6m length of 200lb windon.

I'm open to idea and suggestions.

Davidsch1

Re: Rod/Reel setup for game fishing

Post by Davidsch1 » Sat May 13, 2017 9:45 am

I did get a quote for the following (which price-wise is fairly expensive)
  • Shimano Tiagra 80W
    80lb 5080 Ultra A straight butt rod
    80lb solid core Powerpro braid (approx 1500yards)
    80lb black magic mono (100yards)
    200lb windon
Total - $1850

Hence why I'm doing more research given the cost for just one setup! :o_0:

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Sat May 13, 2017 10:50 am

Firstly I suggest you have a look at a recent threat about game gear.

I also suggest you get several opinions.

Reels are easy.
Tiagra 50WLRSA will do everything the 80W they have the same drag and are essentially the same reel apart from the 80W being heavier and having a larger diameter spool. ie the 80W can hold more line.

With braid capacity is a non issue so go for the 50WLRSA.

Ideally use hollow braid 130lb which can be spliced to 80lb mono for maximum strength.

If you want to use solid braid you will still need 100lb plus with a pullon splicing system.

Mono top shot you only need 30m for shock absorption ect.

WIndons depends on the situation but I have used anywhere from 200lb to 600lb with 37kg gear 200-400lb is very common though.

Rods are a lot more difficult but below are a few pointers.

For 37kg stand up gear you ideally want bent butt rods with a length of 5ft. Long butts and short rods.

You will probably end up using 400lb windons at some point so make sure the roller tip will easily fit 400lb windon where the mono meets the dacron and is pressure served.

Use very good guides with a roller tip not fully rollered.

Make sure the roller tip is quality and has a small gap on the sides to prevent the braid going down the side.

EVA grips forget leather as a few drips of water and they become very slippery.

Line weight rating of the rod be carefully not to get conned as rods are often rated 24-37kg. The lower rating is in 99% of applications is the true rating and the upper rating is purely marketing bull. So in the 24-37kg example it is a 24kg rod so you might buy a rod that has a lable of 37-60kg.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Sat May 13, 2017 12:26 pm

I seem big fish 300 to 400 kg marlin caught on penn international 50s off bermagui.
All depends on how long you want to fight the fish for and how much you want to chase the fish with the boat. 50 w us 37kg outfit

I only used a 80w when trying for big bluefin and got a 70kg fish but it didnt pull much line off after the initial run when we were still driving forward.
So i think it was a bit of overkill i think

blacklab99
Has liked: 14 times

Post by blacklab99 » Sat May 13, 2017 3:02 pm

Tiagra or Penn, doesn't really matter in my opinion, I have Penns at the minute, but I've owned Tiagra's as well, its personal preference, or more
to the fact, who markets their product better. I personally cant separate their performances.. There's still more game fishing records, caught by Penns, than any other brand ( fact), but again, its personal preference. Its interesting to see, that a fair swag of the old records that still stand, were older Penns, not the ubute internationals that get used now, the old senator reels !!!! I've caught 60 pound plus kingies on an old Penn 6/0, now the drag was up graded and I had converted it with the tiburnium one piece frame, but it was still a 30 year old reel.... go with what your budget allows, don't be fooled by the marketing !!! Sure if you can afford either of the big boys, great, if you cant, don't let someone tell you only those two will land you the big ones, look further afield...........just my opinion

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Sat May 13, 2017 3:03 pm

smile0784 wrote:I seem big fish 300 to 400 kg marlin caught on penn international 50s off bermagui.
All depends on how long you want to fight the fish for and how much you want to chase the fish with the boat. 50 w us 37kg outfit
I'd say a 50w is more a 24kg outfit than a 37kg.

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Sat May 13, 2017 3:09 pm

Dam straight Col, penn 50VSW is a brilliant reel as well.

Davidsch1

Post by Davidsch1 » Sat May 13, 2017 3:17 pm

frozenpod wrote:
For 37kg stand up gear you ideally want bent butt rods with a length of 5ft. Long butts and short rods..... Make sure the roller tip is quality and has a small gap on the sides to prevent the braid going down the side.
Can I ask why you recommend bent butts? The reason I ask is because the way I understand it, is that unless you are vertical fishing (like for swords) or unless you are using a game chair, the bent butt rods can be more straining to work with if you are standing with a harness. Please correct me if I am wrong, but that seems to be the impression I get from talking to a few guys who regularly gear up for game fishing.

Also if I go hollow core 130 lb braid, then the rollers shouldn't be an issue then, correct? I believe that the hollow core braid is of similar thickness to mono, so if mono glides through the tip rollers without slipping down the side of the roller, then wouldn't 130lb hollow core braid? ;)

I went past BCF this morning and had a look at their Tiagra 50 WLRSA. They seem like a reasonably decent size reel - not sure how much 130lb hollow braid it would hold though (maybe I could go a little less lb with the hollow to allow for more yardage). I've seen the 130W, but not the 80W, so I'm assuming the 80W is somewhere inbetween the 50 and the 130.

Davidsch1

Post by Davidsch1 » Sat May 13, 2017 3:21 pm

blacklab99 wrote:Tiagra or Penn, doesn't really matter in my opinion, I have Penns at the minute, but I've owned Tiagra's as well, its personal preference, or more
to the fact, who markets their product better. I personally cant separate their performances.
I agree with you. That was the conclusion I came to as well, is that the quality of both is comparable. I did look at the Penns too, but I'm leaning towards the Tiagras at this stage - either 50WLRSA or 80W. Both Tiagras and Penns, along with the Makairo seem to be a common game reel choice, but I hear there have been issues with the Makairo, hence why I am not considering them at the moment.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Sat May 13, 2017 3:29 pm

Do you already have any game gear or you just starting your collection?
Last edited by smile0784 on Sat May 13, 2017 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”