Shimano TLD 50 2-speed

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Shimano TLD 50 2-speed

Post by smile0784 » Thu May 04, 2017 1:56 am

hi
just wondering something,
I have 2 Shimano TLD 50 2-speed with 1000mt of 50lb braid on them on the shelf.
can these handle marlin at Bermagui and big tuna at Portland?

what are your thoughts on this?
should it be tempted or honestly should buy tiagra?

ChrisAbout

Re: Shimano TLD 50 2-speed

Post by ChrisAbout » Thu May 04, 2017 4:52 am

Yes it will. Run 10m of 100lb-150lb mono wind-on and you're set. Goodluck

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Thu May 04, 2017 6:13 am

I think the guys from tackleworld put 100mt of top shot on it If remembering correctly and they said all I need is a wind on

ChrisAbout

Post by ChrisAbout » Thu May 04, 2017 7:18 am

That works too. Give you that little bit of stretch

ncr1

Post by ncr1 » Thu May 04, 2017 10:34 am

I am planning to write up a post about rod and reel selection in my Portland thread, so keep an eye out for that.

But in the meantime, as others have already said, the TLDs are certainly capable of catching big marlin and tuna. But if you can see yourself continuing to make trips to Bermagui or Portland for the next ten years or more, my advice would be to focus on setting yourself up properly with the best gear that you can put together. Setting yourself up with quality gamefishing gear can be incredibly expensive to begin with, but the good gear can also last a lifetime if properly maintained. If you are going to be gamefishing for the next ten years, just think about how many 10s of thousands of dollars you are going to spend on fuel, accomodation, boat/car maintenance, terminal tackle, etc, etc, etc, over that time. When you think about it in this way, the initial setup cost doesn't seem that intimidating.

Yet within that 10 year window, you might be given only one or two opportunities to connect with that fish of a lifetime. And when that moment comes and you're hooked up to a 200kg blue marlin, wouldn't you feel much better about things if you had a tiagra, rather than a TLD?

stesslmatt

Post by stesslmatt » Thu May 04, 2017 11:42 am

NCR1.....If only the forum had a like button. Good advise
Smile and Chris
I have had to build up gear slowly and no way there yet. Still to take a TDL25 and Silstar 20 out of the spread. But slowly getting there. Still using Okuma Titus, Shimano Torium (Hybrid jigging reel), Finnor Lethals on casting and one of my diver rods roght at the wash with a jigging rod as doesn't pull WRaps out of the wash as easy). There are two better then average Ebay reels ( one is sketchy drag now but will be replaced before end of season) and now putting Shiamano Tyrnos as my choice of reel. Im getting there. One to two reels per year going in....I run seven rods. Still with big family costs I cant look at Tiagra's yet but in five years I will. The jump from Tyrnos to Tiagra is too big for me yet but I think the Tyrnos are top choice in my price bracket.
Stesslmatt

Paulanderson
Has liked: 60 times

Post by Paulanderson » Thu May 04, 2017 2:57 pm

When we started game fishing we had a very motley collection of gear such as Penn Senators 6/0 and 8/0 and various stray rods but we managed some good fish on that gear so your TLD 50 with 1,000 m of line should do fine. We then gradually built up a collection of much better rods and reels - some being secondhand - until we were well equipped. Keep watching for good used gear and you will save a lot of money. One thing we did learn is that rollers on all-roller game rods are meant to roll and on older rods that may mean stripping and cleaning them so they do just that. Many tackle shops sell AFTCO rollers and screws etc so buying an older rod with seized rollers is another way of saving money. Go for it!

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”