Oiling drag 'washers'

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Re: Oiling drag 'washers'

Post by Wolly Bugger » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:25 am

ducky wrote:Wooly. No one answered why you oil a drag because you grease it. Which was mentioned

RB, I just re read the first 6 posts of this thread. Of which 5 were the op. The stupidity I mention was not the fact he didn't know moreso the way he went about it...

"Manufacturers have used grease or sometimes even a heavy oil on their washers ever since I can remember. Mostly because the washer material used wouldn't work very well, or last very long, with it. For instance.. a lot of spinning reels come with an oiled felt washer, whether it be on one washer or three."

http://www.mikesreelrepair.com/blog/dra ... to-grease/

My understanding is that oil is perhaps better in colder countries and grease is better to use in Australia.

Kadmium

Post by Kadmium » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:46 am

Asks a question. Tells everyone they are wrong. (edited no need to resort to name calling). Never comes back to his own thread. Lol
Species Comp 16/17

Salt: KGW 36cm - Squid 35cm - Salmon 22cm - Flathead 34cm - EP 35cm - Total Salt 162cm

Fresh: Carp 55cm - Total Fresh 55cm

TOTAL : 217cm

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:46 am

SO. whats the go with running carbon washers. do you grease them or run them dry.
been hearing conflicting reports.
i have greased mine with some daiwa reel grease i had lying around, but has anyone run them dry and found it made any difference?

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:54 am

I like fiber and carbon washers very lightly greased. I use Cals grease.

When greased the drag is smoother, easier to control at high drag pressures and less prone to stiction (suddenly locking)

fishpod

Post by fishpod » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:34 am

Kadmium wrote:Asks a question. Tells everyone they are wrong.( edited no need for name calling). Never comes back to his own thread. Lol
Pretty sure he came back twice and admitted he was incorrect, bit hard calling him a moron when you don't know him :down:

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:09 am

eel_immortal wrote:Sorry. I fear mechanical things and i have no people skills. Thanks for explaining it.
Just giving kudos for you honestly..."Sorry. I fear mechanical things and i have no people skills"...made me laugh

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:19 am

I grew up before the internet and selfies ect, and there is no record any where of all the stupid things I have done, except for my aunts and uncles whose memories are fading over time.

my point is that he was game enough to ask a question, and clearly did not understand how things work, from this he has learned.

Not every one knows how to service fishing reels, Me I continually loose parts if I pull them apart, and usually have a few parts left over after I put them back together again.

I know of someone who put desiel in their fuel tank (it wasn't me) it was someone who runs a business, for their boat that ran on unleaded.

And besides how many of you are prepared to admit publicly that you made a mistake?

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:45 am

I always grease. Very light amount rubbed in with fingers. Less start up inertia is another benefit over running them dry

skronkman
Has liked: 4 times

Post by skronkman » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:25 pm

I think a few manufacturers run their stock carbontex drags without grease. When I upgraded one of my reels to carbon fibre drag washers with the reel doctor in FTG he told me that you don't need to grease them but he likes to put the smallest amount of inox mx6(?) grease on them. I'm actually not sure why as I have never run them dry but took his word for it as he has a lot of experience in this field. If I see him again I will ask him.

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:51 pm

And they all lived happily ever after....

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”