Oiling drag 'washers'

eel_immortal

Oiling drag 'washers'

Post by eel_immortal » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:09 pm

Can someone explain to me why people oil the washers in spin reels. They are not clutches, they do not turn against each other, they are not a moving part but a compression for the little plastic disc underneath the spool. I guess oil might keep water out or create hydraulic pressure ??

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Re: Oiling drag 'washers'

Post by cheaterparts » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:22 pm

eel_immortal wrote:Can someone explain to me why people oil the washers in spin reels. They are not clutches, they do not turn against each other,
drag washers are clutches and do slip or the drag wouldn't work -- I use drag grease on my carbon drag washers this lets the drag washers slip smoothly
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

eel_immortal

Post by eel_immortal » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:43 pm

They can't possibly slip. They are wedged between slotted stainless washers that do not turn. There is nothing turning them and they couldnt possibly turn anyway because they are locked in by the slots. They work by compressing and thereby apply pressure between the bottom of the spool and the plastic (teflon?) washer located at the base of the shaft.

eel_immortal

Post by eel_immortal » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:47 pm

The real clutch is between the bottom of the spool and the washer on the shaft.

eel_immortal

Post by eel_immortal » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:03 pm

Sorry to spoil your illusion but it's like saying if i held a ham sandwich in my hand and the ham starts spinning between the slices of bread. What magic is this ?!

eel_immortal

Post by eel_immortal » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:05 pm

They should be called ' compression washers'. They are not clutches.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:29 pm

If you think they don't slip then how do you explain them wearing down/perishing.
I think you need to learn how the spool and drag washers work before posting stuff like this.

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:32 pm

eel_immortal wrote:They can't possibly slip. They are wedged between slotted stainless washers that do not turn. There is nothing turning them and they couldnt possibly turn anyway because they are locked in by the slots. They work by compressing and thereby apply pressure between the bottom of the spool and the plastic (teflon?) washer located at the base of the shaft.
have another look before you off half cocked the stainless washers are staggered - so the first friction surface is the bottom of the spool then a fiction disc ( felt of carbon ) then a stainless pressure plate splined to the centre shaft ( by normally 2 flat surfaces on the shaft ) and the outside is no fixed to the spool --- then another fiction plate then a stainless plate spined to the spool by but not fixed to the shaft the same as any multi plated clutch and then the same is repeated for the rest of the drag
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

eel_immortal

Post by eel_immortal » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:52 pm

Ahh ok

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:57 pm

lol
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”