Kmart spinning combos can catch big fish.

marckyg123

Kmart spinning combos can catch big fish.

Post by marckyg123 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:23 am

G'day
Went for a carp fish at the creek by my house. I was given a kmart rod and reel from a mate for my birthday and decided to give it a go. I wasnt to sure about the reel though so I swapped it with one of my better Shimano reels spooled with 15 pound mono. About 10 minutes afterwards I managed to land a decent carp around the 40cm mark with my Penn Legion graphite rod and reel combo which cost $79. But after 20 more minutes of fishing my grandfather who was also with me hooked up do a nice carp on the kmart rod which cost about $20. The fish measured 60cm on the dot and I was very surprised at how the rod performed. I have seen people catching small carp and even small cod with the reel that it comes with so I will give it a go. Kmart rods might actually be good value seeing as it performed well and cost $59 dollars less than my Penn rod.
Let me know if anyone has had success with a kmart rod or any problems.
Cheers -Marcky :fish22:

Cornacarpio
Has liked: 16 times

Re: Kmart spinning combos can catch big fish.

Post by Cornacarpio » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:57 am

I have caught a few Carp with the old Sportfisher/K-Mart special...

azkay

Post by azkay » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:57 am

I think a lot of fisherman, myself included started off with the KMart Combo's. I didn't use the $20 combo but was more going the Sienna Combo's for the pier and the Alivio Combo's for the Surf. They treated me so well for so long, landed so many good fish with them. I think it highlights the importance of terminal tackle and knots as well.. There's good fishing to be had, even on a tight budget..
Az.

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:06 pm

I buy fishing gear like all my other tools....start with the cheap stuff and if I use it enough to wear it out, I'll replace it with something of better quality. In saying that, I've got a cheap 10 year old Ozito sander that just keeps going & going.

yepi'mon
Has liked: 36 times

Post by yepi'mon » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:24 pm

I reckon you can catch just about anything on a cheap combo if you have your rig and bait set up right.... at the end of the day the fish don't see any further than that.... So the main difference is to the user and the feel you get from quality gear.

marckyg123

Post by marckyg123 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:19 pm

azkay wrote:I think a lot of fisherman, myself included started off with the KMart Combo's. I didn't use the $20 combo but was more going the Sienna Combo's for the pier and the Alivio Combo's for the Surf. They treated me so well for so long, landed so many good fish with them. I think it highlights the importance of terminal tackle and knots as well.. There's good fishing to be had, even on a tight budget..
Yeah I agree I caught my first pinkie off a sport fisher combo. Cheers

Boonanza
Has liked: 270 times

Post by Boonanza » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:43 pm

Fish don't know what gear you are using. :thumbsup:
A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it.

ChrisAbout

Post by ChrisAbout » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:07 pm

All of my 5kg+ fish caught this season have been landed with a 5year old Kmart combo.

The rod is missing the 2nd last top guide, is all scratched, the handle is taped up and the reel is ... well, working.

:water:

FishnMiss
Has liked: 10 times

Post by FishnMiss » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:29 pm

They may not be the greatest (especially the Jarvis Walker reels) but the best thing to keep them going is to rinse off the guides/rod & reel at least with fresh water.
My first 12ft JW Combo from Kmart didn't even go 12Months, fortunately (or not) I'm a bit of a hoarder so kept the receipt and argued the manager silly till they swapped my whole setup for a new one.
I'm still using the rod 3+years on but I'm using a Penn 780 reel and it works great.
But yeah you can catch on Kmart Combos for sure :-D
" For Evil to triumph, all that Good people have to do is - Nothing "

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:40 pm

I've got a few gummies in Kmart rods, both off the beach and from the yak.

As long as you're bait fishing or trolling and not trying anything that requires extreme sensitivity and casting distance they go perfectly fine.

None of the gummy rods I got from Kmart have survived, I snapped them on eagle rays but I still have a couple of sportfisher surf rods sitting around
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”