Okuma makaira 50w

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Okuma makaira 50w

Post by Nude up » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:47 pm

My mate has an okuma makaira 50w last year we lost a marlin due to the drag locking up backed the lever right off pushed it back to strike and it was working normally. Just after the line snapped I could not pull any line off it was locked solid.
My mate had it checked no issue guess what the same thing happened Sunday marlin hit his lure and bang reel locked up ping line snapped.
Anybody had any issues with okuma makaira reels

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Re: Okuma makaira 50w

Post by ducky » Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:18 pm

Can you mimic it? Sounds like there's some give in the spool or something and it's cocking when smacked hard?

Test it out with the line coming off the spool in the middle and on both sides.

Either way my confidence would be shot with them and Id be heading back to tiagra territory.

Nude up

Post by Nude up » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:29 am

My mate took it back to where he bought it lifetime warranty qoute its a common problem. Apparently a screw comes loose inside and impinges on the drag the fix pull apart new screw fitted with locktite. Its gone away to be repaired. You are right ducky I will stick to my tiagras.

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:00 pm

The problem is lifetime warranty doesn't cover the cost of a trip and time spent losing a fish due to hardware failure.

Nude up

Post by Nude up » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:23 pm

Unfortunately he lost 2 fish one last year and 1 this year. He thought it was just one of those things the first time but the second time he was sure it was a reel failure. He just wished if okuma new it was a problem why they didn't alert people who support their brand if I owned an okuma makaira 50 I would be getting in touch with them.

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”