Reasonable and cheap gear sale

sal.fonzi

Reasonable and cheap gear sale

Post by sal.fonzi » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:43 am

Just for info guys,

Grays online auctions have some reasonable rods and reels plus other gear on sale. Its only there for a few days so if you are bored you can check it out.

I have 6 Okuma reels and I can recommend them as a very good general purpose reel. Dont have any baitcasters but am considering the ones online......

cheers to all.

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Re: Reasonable and cheap gear sale

Post by Fish-cador » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:11 am

wow, too expensive considering postage is extra.

$30 to ship a rod? :whoh:
OF ALL THE THINGS I LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

SFP Guy.

Post by SFP Guy. » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:11 pm

I've found Grays shipping to be very expensive on most items.

Use their shipping calculator before hand and then do the maths, but like FC alluded to it ain't necessarily going to work out to be a bargain.

Cam.

TackleNut

Post by TackleNut » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:03 pm

Fish-cador wrote:wow, too expensive considering postage is extra.

$30 to ship a rod? :whoh:

As some one that sells fishing gear I can tell you that $30 to ship a rod really isnt that bad. In fact it's less than average for the small seller to send.
Try finding a courier company to ship the occasional rod for you and the price you will get will be over the top.
Theres not many true Australia Wide carriers, Australia Post wont send anything over 1.05mts long, and the few others that do cover all of Australia want you to sign up all your business with them. You have to send approx 1000 a month with them to make it worht their while dealing with you otherwise pay through the nose.
It's fine if your selling container loads of rods but if your only selling the occasional rod its just not worth it.
You will be paying someone like Australian Air Express or some other company $10 to send a 12 pack of swivels, they just make it up on everyother thing that you sell, so they end up in front.

Thats the biggest reason I stopped selling rods, getting them wasn't the problem. Sending them at a reasonable price was.

That is how I have ended up with one of the biggest collection of rods that I have & use. In fact I can't count them all, they are scattered everywhere. Just plain lucky that I can swap reels with them, otherwise I would be crying having to have a reel on every one of them.

cheers
TN

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:00 am

we are talking about Graysonline here. A big seller and shipper. Not just an occasional one here one there type of shipper. They probably ship thousands of items daily and can get bulk discounts. $30 for a 2 pc rod that can be sent on a postal tube? For me that is excessive. I will use that $30 to buy something else in a tackle shop.

I had 50+ rods. I gave away about 25 just recently to forum members.
OF ALL THE THINGS I LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

TackleNut

Post by TackleNut » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:29 pm

Fish-cador wrote:we are talking about Graysonline here. A big seller and shipper. Not just an occasional one here one there type of shipper. They probably ship thousands of items daily and can get bulk discounts. $30 for a 2 pc rod that can be sent on a postal tube? For me that is excessive. I will use that $30 to buy something else in a tackle shop.

I had 50+ rods. I gave away about 25 just recently to forum members.
FC,

No you didn't make it out to be Grey's Online shipping at $30, you just said that $30 was way to much to pay postage for a rod.

And before you posted your reply I bet you did go online to check it out.

I have a bit of a problem here in that I agree with you on that the postage is too high
How come we have one of the most costly postage costs in the world ?

As you know, you can get a lot of items sent for less from the USA, UK, China, Hong Kong, Japan and a lot more area's than we can get from sending from one side of Melb to the other.
Don't even have to go that far, same suburb cost more from Australia Post & the couriers than it would cost to send some things from New York or London.
Who the hell is making all that money???

As far as you having 50 rods and giving 25 away, good on you and I applaud it.
I think more of should be passed on, problem is that it just doesn't work as I have found that a lot of guys want to buy their own gear and the latest and greatest yet at the same time are complaining about not affording it as they want the top of the line rods.
The ones that need them the most, the younger kids that don’t drive can’t get around to pick them up, so we end up in the same problem with postage
The 5 year old rods that have caught me a few fish on just don’t seem to be needed by anyone. So they just go into the garage, boat, shed, weekender and some even left out in the rain behind my house for the past 3 years, I know I should have taken them inside, ohh my now the reels would have started to seize up. Ohh well, my bad.

cheers
TN

Tomcat1

Post by Tomcat1 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:49 pm

well tn if you want to get rid of some of those rods i for one can use a decent surf rod or 2 and i don't care if they aren't top of the line. i also know a couple of the kids that go to the local pier here that could use a rod or 2. if they are free to a good home i will take a bus to wherever it is to be picked up or get the wife to take me one day lol. so if you ever want to clear out some of your old unwanted gear lemme know lol. always glad to take anything you dont want. and if i dont need it i know plenty of others that can use it. i have neices and nephews here thats always asking their dads to tke them fishing lol. and i'm looking for work now so once i find a job here i am planning on buying some of those eagle claw hooks from you too mate. sick of not working i hope i find something soon now that im a legal temporary aussie lol.

TackleNut

Post by TackleNut » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:30 pm

Tomcat1 wrote:well tn if you want to get rid of some of those rods i for one can use a decent surf rod or 2 and i don't care if they aren't top of the line. i also know a couple of the kids that go to the local pier here that could use a rod or 2. if they are free to a good home i will take a bus to wherever it is to be picked up or get the wife to take me one day lol. so if you ever want to clear out some of your old unwanted gear lemme know lol. always glad to take anything you dont want. and if i dont need it i know plenty of others that can use it. i have neices and nephews here thats always asking their dads to tke them fishing lol. and i'm looking for work now so once i find a job here i am planning on buying some of those eagle claw hooks from you too mate. sick of not working i hope i find something soon now that im a legal temporary aussie lol.
Tomcat,

Matey if you can make it over to Wantirna, I am sure I can find a rod for you, might even be able to set you up with some Eagle Claw hooks as well.
Cheers
TN

Tomcat1

Post by Tomcat1 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:05 pm

thanks again TackleNut for the help with the fishing gear mate. was great meeting you. Looking forward to the time when we will get to go fishing together whenever things are a little better for the both of us.

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”