Snapper is a gateway drug

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Re: Snapper is a gateway drug

Post by purple5ive » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:28 pm

Nice well done, might have to pay him a visit then.
cheers

yepi'mon
Has liked: 36 times

Post by yepi'mon » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:31 pm

Gateway drug... damn right, I am in the exact same boat as you!

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:44 pm

I've said it plenty of times and I'll say it again. Tcurve revo offshore 762 10-15kg Rods are the best bang for buck rods for westernport. Tippy enough to detect flatty bites, enough backbone to dominate the rays. Pair them up with a saragosa/spheros 10k with 300m of 50lb braid and you will be geared up to take on most things in the bay.

I'd suggest you got spooled by an eagle ray. It happens when you aren't geared up to cope with them.

Purple I have a 702 6-12kg tcurve in fair condition. If you want it I can sell it to you. I'm wanting another 762

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:04 pm

im not familiar with the rod man, can you pm me some specs
cheers

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:18 pm

ducky wrote:I've said it plenty of times and I'll say it again. Tcurve revo offshore 762 10-15kg Rods are the best bang for buck rods for westernport. Tippy enough to detect flatty bites, enough backbone to dominate the rays. Pair them up with a saragosa/spheros 10k with 300m of 50lb braid and you will be geared up to take on most things in the bay.

I'd suggest you got spooled by an eagle ray. It happens when you aren't geared up to cope with them.

Purple I have a 702 6-12kg tcurve in fair condition. If you want it I can sell it to you. I'm wanting another 762
Hey Ducky...have you got a preference in overhead set-ups?
(in saying that, pretty much everyone on this site has been mentioning a spheros 10000, so I'm starting to think I might need one of these in the arsenal as well!)

ducky

Post by ducky » Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:37 pm

I've had charter specials and tld25's. they don't suit me. I prefer the ease of casting with spin. that middle-large gear bracket is best done with spin in my opinion. Leave the larger overheads for tuna/mako etc.

I found the charter specials to be fairly easy to use. Would recommend them for Wpb if you wanted an overhead. They take a fair amount of braid.

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:39 pm

Westernport: ugly stick Gb1609 (glass rod, high stick the dirty rays with little fear), charter specials and full 30lb (well over 350m on the reel with most decent braids), 60-80lb leaders. I'm opposite of ducky, spin gear is over rated when you learn to thumb an overhead properly :tongue:

Sharks/tuna: tld25 minimum. 30 2 speed even better on 15kg stroker and 15kg mono. Can stretch the 30 to 24kg line/rod, reel frame may not handle super high drag capacities without flex, downside of graphite reels really

Kingfish: Saragosa/spheros 10k tcurve kingmack or 10-15kg revolution offshore for more budget friendly (I know I said I hate spin gear, but I do run a Torium 16 aswell) . If overhead, Torium 16 and suitable overhead rod. 50lb braid, 80-120lb shock leader and similar main leaders (I despise busting good fish and aim for big ones)

Top will handle rat kings, hopeless on the bigger ones, handle almost everything Westernport will throw at you. But easily come under $500 spooled up ready to go per outfit.

Hunt around and a 30 2 speed with rod will come around your $500 mark.

Depending on which way you go, $500 is stretching it for my king outfits. Spheros/revo should be under it easily unless you get ripped a new one

ducky

Post by ducky » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:11 pm

cobby wrote:Westernport: ugly stick Gb1609 (glass rod, high stick the dirty rays with little fear), charter specials and full 30lb (well over 350m on the reel with most decent braids), 60-80lb leaders. I'm opposite of ducky, spin gear is over rated when you learn to thumb an overhead properly :tongue:

Sharks/tuna: tld25 minimum. 30 2 speed even better on 15kg stroker and 15kg mono. Can stretch the 30 to 24kg line/rod, reel frame may not handle super high drag capacities without flex, downside of graphite reels really

Kingfish: Saragosa/spheros 10k tcurve kingmack or 10-15kg revolution offshore for more budget friendly (I know I said I hate spin gear, but I do run a Torium 16 aswell) . If overhead, Torium 16 and suitable overhead rod. 50lb braid, 80-120lb shock leader and similar main leaders (I despise busting good fish and aim for big ones)

Top will handle rat kings, hopeless on the bigger ones, handle almost everything Westernport will throw at you. But easily come under $500 spooled up ready to go per outfit.

Hunt around and a 30 2 speed with rod will come around your $500 mark.

Depending on which way you go, $500 is stretching it for my king outfits. Spheros/revo should be under it easily unless you get ripped a new one
I can cast a bait caster now. Haha. Nah I got sick of the bloody overheads turning upside down in the snapper racks.

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:50 pm

I run charter specials in wpb I find spin gear with heavy leads high current not a good mix too much line twist

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:24 am

Nude up wrote:I run charter specials in wpb I find spin gear with heavy leads high current not a good mix too much line twist
Hey Nudeup.....are the 'charter specials' the same as TLD's? How does a line get twisted more on a spin set up as compared to an overhead set up?

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”