Snapper is a gateway drug

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Re: Snapper is a gateway drug

Post by frozenpod » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:16 am

TLD is bigger strong and has different gearing.

Charter Specials are not that good but the attraction is the level wind.

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:17 am

Mattblack wrote: So tell me guys…what sort of reel/rod should I be looking at getting for this kind of stuff? (shark/tuna/kingfish).
we probably run a little lighter than the boating guys but my main set ups are Shimano Terez with 560 Penn slammers with 30lb braid - a mate pulled a nice little 19 kg fisn on a 460 slammer last W/End

and if you think Snapper is a gateway drug try kayak fishing -- we fished Julia Reef last W/E and thats a lot of paddle strokes each way --- we are now looking at Cody Banks and other options for a little off shore paddling
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:43 am

Mattblack wrote:
Nude up wrote:I run charter specials in wpb I find spin gear with heavy leads high current not a good mix too much line twist
Hey Nudeup.....are the 'charter specials' the same as TLD's? How does a line get twisted more on a spin set up as compared to an overhead set up?
Charter specials have a level wind system to lay the line back on the spool even. tld's don't have a level wind system you have to use your thumb to ensure the line goes back on the reel even.
Hence the name charter special easy to use strong high line capacity and can be used by novices who are only casual fisho's.
As for line twist when I first started fishing wp I used 6000 size reels and mono 25 years ago because the action of coiling the line back on an eggbeater mono line memory and poor bait presentation caused the line get twist and when you opened the bail arm it would spring off looking like a coiled spring.
I changed over to abu 7000's and the line went onto the drum inline with the rod not at 90 degrees and I got less twist.
I have been using charter specials now for many years the lever drag allows me to set the least amount of the to suit the weight/current but when a fish takes off apply more drag with the push of a lever.
Hope this helps other people may have had different experiences and with the use of braid it probably does not happen as much.

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:27 pm

Nude up wrote:
Mattblack wrote:
Nude up wrote:I run charter specials in wpb I find spin gear with heavy leads high current not a good mix too much line twist
Hey Nudeup.....are the 'charter specials' the same as TLD's? How does a line get twisted more on a spin set up as compared to an overhead set up?
Charter specials have a level wind system to lay the line back on the spool even. tld's don't have a level wind system you have to use your thumb to ensure the line goes back on the reel even.
Hence the name charter special easy to use strong high line capacity and can be used by novices who are only casual fisho's.
As for line twist when I first started fishing wp I used 6000 size reels and mono 25 years ago because the action of coiling the line back on an eggbeater mono line memory and poor bait presentation caused the line get twist and when you opened the bail arm it would spring off looking like a coiled spring.
I changed over to abu 7000's and the line went onto the drum inline with the rod not at 90 degrees and I got less twist.
I have been using charter specials now for many years the lever drag allows me to set the least amount of the to suit the weight/current but when a fish takes off apply more drag with the push of a lever.
Hope this helps other people may have had different experiences and with the use of braid it probably does not happen as much.
Thanks Mate....that was very well explained and I think you might have saved me a potential headache with my next purchase (I am indeed a novice!)

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:33 pm

cheaterparts wrote:
Mattblack wrote: So tell me guys…what sort of reel/rod should I be looking at getting for this kind of stuff? (shark/tuna/kingfish).
we probably run a little lighter than the boating guys but my main set ups are Shimano Terez with 560 Penn slammers with 30lb braid - a mate pulled a nice little 19 kg fisn on a 460 slammer last W/End

and if you think Snapper is a gateway drug try kayak fishing -- we fished Julia Reef last W/E and thats a lot of paddle strokes each way --- we are now looking at Cody Banks and other options for a little off shore paddling
Dude...with all due respect...f-that! I haven't got the stamina or balls for yak fishing. I'll tip my hat to you guys when I go past and envy you at the ramp, but that's it.

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”