My "Go To" Rod and Reel - Advice Please

User avatar
yepi'mon
Rank: Premium Member
Rank: Premium Member
Posts: 435
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:00 pm
Location: South East

My "Go To" Rod and Reel - Advice Please

Postby yepi'mon » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:52 am

Hi Guys

I know this subject has been covered a fair bit previously (which has given me a good idea of where to start) but I am hoping that with a bit more specific information you fisho's might be able to help me make a decision.

I am looking to setup a "go to" rod and reel that covers me for light fishing, soft plastics, squid jigging etc. I have myself covered for bottom fishing the larger species like snapper but I am yet to purchase anything suitable for other types of fishing.

All the rods and reels we have are the kind that have been passed down, acquired from somewhere at sometime and you really have no idea where they actually came from.

So this is what I am looking for:

- suitable for using soft plastics, lightweight bait fishing and squid jigging
- targeting fish like Flathead, Whiting, Squid, Bream etc
- ideally around the $150 mark (hoping to find some stuff on special) for the whole setup, will spend more if I need to
- majority of fishing will be from the boat whether it's in the bay or lakes and estuaries


This is where I am at:

- rod, either a Abu Garcia Veritas or Pfleuger Trion 1-3kg or 2-4kg
- reel, either a Sienna or Sedona 2500

I haven't done a lot of this type of fishing so I am not sure what the best setup would be in terms of reel size, rod size (given it will be from a boat) and rod weight. Money isn't a massive issue and I am happy to spend a bit more if it's worth it.... but I obviously don't want to blow the bank on this as I will be doing other types of fishing as well

Thanks in advance guys!



Remove these ads.

purple5ive
Rank: Premium Member
Rank: Premium Member
Posts: 4580
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:59 pm

Re: My "Go To" Rod and Reel - Advice Please

Postby purple5ive » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:05 am

If you didn't have squid in there. I would have suggested a
Daiwa generation black itchy twitchy and a 1000 sienna.
I used to have a itchy twitchy paired with a luvias 2004. And also.owned numerous other combis. But somehow evertime i wwnt fishing i would pick that one first 99% of the time.

If you can spend more then def look at the higher end stuff.

Or if sticking with your choice both the trion and veritas are good rods. Also.look at the catana.
Reel wise i would def pick a 2000 size.
Small Fish Specialist :-D :-D :-D

skronkman
Rank: Premium Member
Rank: Premium Member
Posts: 446
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:59 pm

Re: My "Go To" Rod and Reel - Advice Please

Postby skronkman » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:05 pm

Depending on your egi style, an SP rod should be fine. Bait fishing has rather different rod parameters. For around $200 I would think you'd get a suitable 2500 reel (I hate to admit that the sienna is pretty good for the price, around $40) and then 2 rods. A light medium to fast action for SP and basic egi and a slower action bait fishing rod, I actually prefer a light all glass bait rod for its durability in the boat but you do sacrifice some sensitivity.

User avatar
hornet
Rank: Premium Member
Rank: Premium Member
Posts: 2226
Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:55 am
Location: Melbourne

Re: My "Go To" Rod and Reel - Advice Please

Postby hornet » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:33 pm

If I designed a rod that covered everything I think I would name it "The God stick" :rofl:

User avatar
yepi'mon
Rank: Premium Member
Rank: Premium Member
Posts: 435
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:00 pm
Location: South East

Re: My "Go To" Rod and Reel - Advice Please

Postby yepi'mon » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:39 pm

purple5ive wrote:If you didn't have squid in there. I would have suggested a
Daiwa generation black itchy twitchy and a 1000 sienna.
I used to have a itchy twitchy paired with a luvias 2004. And also.owned numerous other combis. But somehow evertime i wwnt fishing i would pick that one first 99% of the time.

If you can spend more then def look at the higher end stuff.

Or if sticking with your choice both the trion and veritas are good rods. Also.look at the catana.
Reel wise i would def pick a 2000 size.


Thanks mate - I am not to fussed about it being specific for squidding.... I have found that you can catch squid on pretty much any rod and reel if they are on the bite!

I will check out the Daiwa but what would you suggest at the higher end?

User avatar
yepi'mon
Rank: Premium Member
Rank: Premium Member
Posts: 435
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:00 pm
Location: South East

Re: My "Go To" Rod and Reel - Advice Please

Postby yepi'mon » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:41 pm

skronkman wrote:Depending on your egi style, an SP rod should be fine. Bait fishing has rather different rod parameters. For around $200 I would think you'd get a suitable 2500 reel (I hate to admit that the sienna is pretty good for the price, around $40) and then 2 rods. A light medium to fast action for SP and basic egi and a slower action bait fishing rod, I actually prefer a light all glass bait rod for its durability in the boat but you do sacrifice some sensitivity.



Thanks mate - I'd mainly say that this would be for soft plastics and lure fishing. For now I can get by on other rods for the bait fishing but I might even look at buying some cheap combos specific for whiting on the boat.



Remove these ads.

rodderslw
Rank: Garfish
Rank: Garfish
Posts: 74
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:09 am

Re: My "Go To" Rod and Reel - Advice Please

Postby rodderslw » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:30 pm

[quote="yepi'mon"]
This is where I am at:

- rod, either a Abu Garcia Veritas or Pfleuger Trion 1-3kg or 2-4kg
- reel, either a Sienna or Sedona 2500


Your lucky theres lots of good value gear for this type of fishing! I have found from a boat I prefer a 1-3kg 6'6" one piece rod. Two piece is fine too. In PPB this will catch all of the fish your after on plastics. I have had a Pfleuger Trion 1-3kg for many years and they are great value. Also Daiwa have some nice light, crisp rods like the air edge and Complete Angler had some daiwa spitfire rods that felt really nice for under $100. I prefer Daiwa rods and Shimano reels...generally. Get some good braid and you will have lots of fun. Theres no issues catching squid on this gear but if your mainly doing squid fishing then might want to get a squid rod...they have very different actions.

purple5ive
Rank: Premium Member
Rank: Premium Member
Posts: 4580
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:59 pm

Re: My "Go To" Rod and Reel - Advice Please

Postby purple5ive » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:52 pm

yepi'mon wrote:
skronkman wrote:Depending on your egi style, an SP rod should be fine. Bait fishing has rather different rod parameters. For around $200 I would think you'd get a suitable 2500 reel (I hate to admit that the sienna is pretty good for the price, around $40) and then 2 rods. A light medium to fast action for SP and basic egi and a slower action bait fishing rod, I actually prefer a light all glass bait rod for its durability in the boat but you do sacrifice some sensitivity.



Thanks mate - I'd mainly say that this would be for soft plastics and lure fishing. For now I can get by on other rods for the bait fishing but I might even look at buying some cheap combos specific for whiting on the boat.


yeah if your using smaller jigs like 2 and 2.5 sizes then a normal 2-4kg plastic outfit will def be ok. but once you start to use bigger jigs you will be asking for trouble.
also trying to lift a decent squid on a light plastics rod is just asking for trouble.

i would get a dedicated plastics rod and a squid rod, or 2 plastics rods one for light plastics and another heavier one and use the heavy on squid.(with bigger jigs)
Small Fish Specialist :-D :-D :-D

User avatar
azkay
Rank: Premium Member
Rank: Premium Member
Posts: 516
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:36 am

Re: My "Go To" Rod and Reel - Advice Please

Postby azkay » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:05 am

If you just want something cheap to try out, BCF had the Sienna in 2 sizes with the Sonic Pro Graphite Rod for $70-$80.. I think its pretty good value and a good starting point.

User avatar
yepi'mon
Rank: Premium Member
Rank: Premium Member
Posts: 435
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:00 pm
Location: South East

Re: My "Go To" Rod and Reel - Advice Please

Postby yepi'mon » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:31 pm

Thanks guys... Just came across this on the BCF site and thinking it might be a good fit in the 2-4kg range?

http://www.bcf.com.au/Product/Shimano-S ... riant=true

Thoughts?



Remove these ads.


Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: cantcatchem and 4 guests