new reel

Tackleberry
Has liked: 301 times

Re: new reel

Post by Tackleberry » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:59 am

chillicrab wrote:no bearings in the drag system
no bearings in the handle knob
out of the box its no different to stradic.

had to spend more money to add 2x handle knob and 2x drag bearings for it to be decent.

magsealed line roller bearing is corroded after 6 months - sorta expected since i use it very regularly.

annoying part is the line roller assembly uses unnecessarily overcomplicated parts, and the parts are hard to source.

not worth the money, not worth the trouble.

dont get it.
thanks ... I don't like that bit about the line roller , it is one thing I liked about the stradics I have

they are over 7 years old and have never been apart and still work as they should with just 1/16 oz

jig heads which as you would know that's very little weight on the roller .

I was also looking at the shimano twin power but I have had shimano gear for 20 odd years and after

the 2 DAIWA BG 8000 reels I bought for the surf I was looking at a DAIWA for bream this time .
"When the people fear the Govn't, that is Tyrany, when the Govn't fear the people, that is Liberty"

Experience is what you get when **** happens

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:46 am

I have a Certate..... pre-mag seal. And haven't, and will not buy another daiwa reel. Don't get me wrong, it's a great reel, but in my view mag seal is worthless, over complicated 'technology'. If ferro-fluid sealing was a worthwhile and viable thing in the industry, more manufacturers would be introducing it by now - 7 years after its initial release.

Hunt around for a decent condition FD Stella would be my pick around $500

mingle
Has liked: 1 time

Post by mingle » Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:09 am

I usually don't bite when a forum post is misinterpreted, but feck, it's the festive season, so why not? :-p
No, I actually drive around in a 2002 CRV...

Buying expensive makes some people feel superior, or that the 'performance' of the reel will be 4x better than a cheaper option. that's all.
I know quite a few who feel they've gotten a good deal spending the best part of 3 grand on a wrist watch that performs no better than a 100 buck Casio.

And I sometimes feel it's worth reminding people of better options, that’s' all...

Heck, if you're going to burn 500 bucks on a reel, why not go the whole hog and get a Stella? It'll certainly 'perform' better than a 500 buck cheapo :-P

Oh yeah, and going exxy is no substitute for looking after, and maintaining, your gear properly.

Mike.

dezza68

Post by dezza68 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:15 am

They do say you get what you pay for but, are you paying for what you need. If you are fishing for things that are going to rip tons of line and you need high drag pressure then the expensive end of town makes sense. If not....... personally I have always been disappointed with expensive kit as the difference is just so small from the mid market stuff. Maybe it's just because I'm tight :-D

Kadmium

Post by Kadmium » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:42 am

Don't get me wrong. I have no issue with dropping big bucks on a reel or anything really (or is that reely?)

That old saying buy once cry once. However if you think, today's mid or even low-mid range reels are what would have been $500 reels 10 years ago. Mass manufacturing from the big companies has come a long way. However..

If you have the coin and want to drop money on something nice that will give you pleasure then really that's great. Can I afford to spend $500 on a bream reel? No. Am I jealous of people that can? Maybe a little bit.

In relation to the OP, there are ways to ask for opinions. Pehaps wording your question as follows

"Hey guys, so I have a couple of stradics that I like but am looking to splash out about $450 on a reel for light spin work. Mainly bream. I have it paired with -x- rod and have looked at the certate. I am not really interested in cheaper reels as I want something nice and have the money to spend. Any suggestions? Thanks"

Perhaps then you would get an answer you are looking for. Just my opinion.

*Edited for spelling
Last edited by Kadmium on Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Species Comp 16/17

Salt: KGW 36cm - Squid 35cm - Salmon 22cm - Flathead 34cm - EP 35cm - Total Salt 162cm

Fresh: Carp 55cm - Total Fresh 55cm

TOTAL : 217cm

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:55 am

I don't have the budget to buy an extra fancy reel but if I have it I will probably go shopping with Tberry. :-) But then again, I may settle for a cheaper reel just because I feel bad when I scratch a good item. (real reason - I am stingy that I cannot even pay the premium membership :rofl: )

I have enough money for a drink and popcorn. waiting for the fire works about this topic. :-)

Chill out! It's new year!

Fish-cador

Post by Fish-cador » Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:00 pm

Kadmium wrote:

todays
reela
thats
Pehaps

*Edited for spelling
Peace!

Kadmium

Post by Kadmium » Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:03 pm

Fish-cador wrote:
Kadmium wrote:

todays
reela
thats
Pehaps

*Edited for spelling
Peace!
Fixed. Hahahah man I am terrible.

Also, I have nothing against the OP. A bit jelly that he can afford it (I'm a tight ass. Can I have some of your popcorn?)

I just felt the way he went at the first reply was un called for.
Species Comp 16/17

Salt: KGW 36cm - Squid 35cm - Salmon 22cm - Flathead 34cm - EP 35cm - Total Salt 162cm

Fresh: Carp 55cm - Total Fresh 55cm

TOTAL : 217cm

Fish-cador

Post by Fish-cador » Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:54 pm

:rofl: we are on the same boat. Go grow your own corn. :tongue: I cant even hand over my $10 (?) bucks to Jon (FV) to be a premium member. I gave him a squid last time but looks like that was not a valid type of contribution to run this forum. :down:

It was probably a banter and no offense was intended but it got side tracked. When we are face to face with the other party and we see the facial expression of the other person, we know if he is serious or just taking a friendly jab. The use of emoticons can cushion the blow. ;-)

Tackleberry
Has liked: 301 times

Post by Tackleberry » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:11 pm

Fish-cador wrote:
It was probably a banter and no offense was intended but it got side tracked. When we are face to face with the other party and we see the facial expression of the other person, we know if he is serious or just taking a friendly jab. The use of emoticons can cushion the blow. ;-)
well as a 50yo poor unwashed mud farmer :Boxing: I am usually blunt and to the point

as I'm not in touch with my feminine side :tongue: yet .

and yes I will have to use these cartoon thingy more often . oh yeah I put one in the op as well . :cheers: :thumbsup:

EDIT not the op but the 3rd post
"When the people fear the Govn't, that is Tyrany, when the Govn't fear the people, that is Liberty"

Experience is what you get when **** happens

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”