Shimano Catana 762ML Egi rod - anyfeedback?

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Re: Shimano Catana 762ML Egi rod - anyfeedback?

Post by ducky » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:26 pm

Fc. The short leader outside the guides thing may suit salmon spinning but for everything else I think your mad to do it. A rod length of leader with the leader knot sitting just above where you put your finger on the line coming off the spool for casting.

If you use an fg you aren't going to have the dramas you mention. Especially with a half decent rod.

Misheen

Post by Misheen » Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:17 am

ducky wrote:Fc. The short leader outside the guides thing may suit salmon spinning but for everything else I think your mad to do it. A rod length of leader with the leader knot sitting just above where you put your finger on the line coming off the spool for casting.

If you use an fg you aren't going to have the dramas you mention. Especially with a half decent rod.
I like to have at least 2x wraps of leader on the spool, helps to save my finger from getting cut by the braid.

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:24 am

ducky wrote:Fc. The short leader outside the guides thing may suit salmon spinning but for everything else I think your mad to do it. A rod length of leader with the leader knot sitting just above where you put your finger on the line coming off the spool for casting.

No arguments on that Michael. :thumbsup:

When soaking bait, I have no issues using longer leader as it is better for snaggy areas but for lure fishing, I have to go short. I have lost tons of stuff at the knot and damaged a few tip guides too. Maybe short leader suits me well because of my fishing style. I switch from squid jig to HB to metal whenever I need to. If I see bait fish jumping or the water boils while squidding, HB or metals start flying depending on where the action is (thus the reason why I love the Wilson blue steel rod that casts 40 grams lures).

Kadmium

Post by Kadmium » Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:33 am

Fish-cador wrote:

No arguments on that Michael. :thumbsup:

When soaking bait, I have no issues using longer leader as it is better for snaggy areas but for lure fishing, I have to go short. I have lost tons of stuff at the knot and damaged a few tip guides too. Maybe short leader suits me well because of my fishing style. I switch from squid jig to HB to metal whenever I need to. If I see bait fish jumping or the water boils while squidding, HB or metals start flying depending on where the action is (thus the reason why I love the Wilson blue steel rod that casts 40 grams lures).
Makes sense. I would never use a squid rof for HB etc cause it just doesnt feel right. I suppose you have more of a 'general purpose' rod for flicking all types of lures!

I found the fg knot to be great. Super strong and if a knot is going to break from passing through a couple of guides or the guides get damaged then the knots no good and neither is the rod lol.
Species Comp 16/17

Salt: KGW 36cm - Squid 35cm - Salmon 22cm - Flathead 34cm - EP 35cm - Total Salt 162cm

Fresh: Carp 55cm - Total Fresh 55cm

TOTAL : 217cm

Basti
Has liked: 15 times

Post by Basti » Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:03 am

Yeah egi rods are fantastic for sending a small salmon slug a very long way. The fight is slightly different though due to the action of the rod. You can't dictate direction to the fish as aggressively as a fast action rod would allow

i use a long leader with the knot sitting just off the spool for squidding. if i need to throw a slug, i just check the knot every cast or two. no failures yet
Last edited by Basti on Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Basti

Post by Basti » Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:37 am

4liters wrote:
Basti wrote:If you're going to buy the solpara, buy the Skyroad instead from Japan. A miles better rod for probably very similar to what you'd pay for the base model in Australia
which site would sell them? Also I had a look through the list on the Major Craft site and there's like a million different Skyroad models, is there one in particular you have in mind?
i use the skr-802el. try plat, rakuten or amazon. check your pm inbox

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:38 am

4liters wrote:
Basti wrote:If you're going to buy the solpara, buy the Skyroad instead from Japan. A miles better rod for probably very similar to what you'd pay for the base model in Australia
which site would sell them? Also I had a look through the list on the Major Craft site and there's like a million different Skyroad models, is there one in particular you have in mind?
First narrow it down to the egi models, from there pick how heavy you want it to be (I find e to be a good all rounder) and then the length as said above 8'3" is a nice all rounder good cast off the bank and not to crazy to use on the yak
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:39 am

Basti wrote:
4liters wrote:
I still find yours a bit light, especially considering a lot of ians fishing is in Wp where he'll be using heavy jigs etc.
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

Basti

Post by Basti » Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:44 am

mazman wrote:
Basti wrote:
4liters wrote:
I still find yours a bit light, especially considering a lot of ians fishing is in Wp where he'll be using heavy jigs etc.
yeah fair point. most of my squidding isn't done in high current areas, except maybe for sorrento. i do sometimes wish the rod was slightly heavier. 3.5 jigs are as heavy as i can throw and work comfortably.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:24 pm

mazman wrote:
4liters wrote:
First narrow it down to the egi models, from there pick how heavy you want it to be (I find e to be a good all rounder) and then the length as said above 8'3" is a nice all rounder good cast off the bank and not to crazy to use on the yak
I almost exclusively use 3.0 jigs, but I wanted something that would be ok with <40g micro jigs as well. I've tried a green Gomoku rod and tried to use it squidding but it doesn't cast far even for a rod to use from the yak. I don't really want anything longer than 7' on the yak if I can get away with it.

Just looking through the Majorcraft list, maybe the SKR-S702E/TR is the one to go for.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”