Has liked: 123 times

Re: Shimano warranty not worth Sh!t

Post by hornet » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:53 pm

He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

fitzy90

Post by fitzy90 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:54 pm

purple5ive wrote:
fitzy90 wrote:Under Australian consumer laws you can take it back to BCF as it would be deemed "not fit for purpose"
They will try to tell you its a manufacture issue and try to get you to deal with the supplier however its not under Australian consumer laws and they have the obligation to fix the issue.

Have a read up on the following link and if BCF kick up a stink show them this, otherwise you can lodge a complaint directly through the australian consumer law web page and they will sort it out for you

http://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/consum ... ace-refund
https://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/consu ... guarantees

good luck.

he serviced the reel himself, so kiss everything goodbye.
Thats if they can prove it ofcourse, but one look at the insides or on the screw mounts/heads and they can usually tell if its been opened up
Thats wrong information, warranty's are between the manufacturer and the customer and are more used as selling points, the ACL overrides manufacturers warranty's and store guarantees, the onus of responsibility is at the point of sale which is BCF. Of course they will argue the point but if you show them the document they will usually give in.
Take it back and get it fixed or a refund. Ive done the same thing with reels, tents and other items and have never had an issue

Hydroman

Post by Hydroman » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:18 pm

out of interest, the warranty document refers to it being void if there is a failure to comply to the "recommended care and maintenance". Was there any such information provided with the product when it was purchased or available on the net? I believe they would need to clearly specify the service intervals and who would be authorized before they could be make your claim void.

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:28 pm

skronkman wrote:
frozenpod wrote:Corrosion has never been covered by warranty.

Just get the replacement part fixed it and enjoy the reel.
This is the plan, I'll be spending the $25 including postage to make my reel usable again. It's the principle of it that I'm angry about, not the cost.

Will I need to spend this money again in 12 months to maintain a shoddy part on an expensive reel? Who knows? Seeing as I can't service it to maintain it without voiding warranty then I can only suppose that more components of the reel will fail before then.
Yep I understand the principle but as per above corrosion has never been covered by warranty by any manufacture. The warranty only covers defects or faulty parts which you will know the first few times you use the reel.

I doubt it is a shoddy part, make sure it is well greased with blue grease. Either way in salt water metal rusts and bearings often require replacement, line rollers bearings are probably the most common replacement part on reels.

If you want an ultra reliable almost indestructible reel go with bushes. They are often cheaper but wont be as nice to use.

skronkman
Has liked: 4 times

Post by skronkman » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:01 pm

frozenpod wrote:
skronkman wrote:

This is the plan, I'll be spending the $25 including postage to make my reel usable again. It's the principle of it that I'm angry about, not the cost.

Will I need to spend this money again in 12 months to maintain a shoddy part on an expensive reel? Who knows? Seeing as I can't service it to maintain it without voiding warranty then I can only suppose that more components of the reel will fail before then.
Yep I understand the principle but as per above corrosion has never been covered by warranty by any manufacture. The warranty only covers defects or faulty parts which you will know the first few times you use the reel.

I doubt it is a shoddy part, make sure it is well greased with blue grease. Either way in salt water metal rusts and bearings often require replacement, line rollers bearings are probably the most common replacement part on reels.

If you want an ultra reliable almost indestructible reel go with bushes. They are often cheaper but wont be as nice to use.

Good quality materials will resist corrosion for a decent amount of time. I would have expected a reel of this price to use such materials. Nothing else on the reel is corroded or seized, it's either a design flaw or a material flaw. I agree bushes last better than bearings, I have plenty of old penn's that have lasted the test of time (and my servicing) to prove this. If the warranty is only for things that rear their head in the first couple of uses then why is there a 10 year warranty for anything other than marketing purposes? I maintain that the warranty is not worth the paper it's written on.

skronkman
Has liked: 4 times

Post by skronkman » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:02 pm

frozenpod wrote:
skronkman wrote:

Good quality materials will resist corrosion for a decent amount of time. I would have expected a reel of this price to use such materials. Nothing else on the reel is corroded or seized, it's either a design flaw or a material flaw. I agree bushes last better than bearings, I have plenty of old penn's that have lasted the test of time (and my servicing) to prove this. If the warranty is only for things that rear their head in the first couple of uses then why is there a 10 year warranty for anything other than marketing purposes? I maintain that the warranty is not worth the paper it's written on.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:39 pm

skronkman wrote:My point being that if you don't service it they claim it wasn't looked after, if you do service it then you void the warranty. Having to send it to the manufacturer for servicing is a joke, it would cost more for a service than the price of a new reel for many of their lower end stuff. The warranty issues has nothing to do with my servicing and everything to do with being manufactured to a less than fit standard for its purpose and price. I have done my servicing for years and don't see why they tell you that servicing is required for warranty purposes and also provide an exploded diagram in the box if you are not meant to perform one.

The reel is less than 12 months old, it is priced nearly 10 times the price of their entry level Sienna and the quality, warranty and after sales support should reflect this.

My own personal case aside, if corrosion is not covered, bearings are not covered, servicing the real yourself voids warranty, sending it in for a service costs more than the price of middle of the road reel, then I maintain my argument that the shimano warranty is worthless.

Servicing is not rocket science and once not so long ago servicing your reel or your car was something you were supposed to do yourself and the instructions on doing it came with the product. Repairs are a shop job, servicing is maintenance and should be able to be performed by the lay man (and is except for the rules designed so as to void warranties).

For each and everyone to decide for themselves what they do with the information I've provided here. I for one will not be purchasing shimano again after my experiences in dealing with them.

your missing the point mate.
opening up the reel yourself will void warranty automatically, thats is what i have seen and heard before.
thats the whole point of the 10 years warranty, its only valid if you have the reel serviced by shimano.
and why would you buy a reel based on the 10 year warranty is beyond me, most people can never find the proof of purchase to start warranty claims, let alone worry about fixing a reel 10 years on. most buy a new one and move on
its the same case with other reels as well like daiwa.

best thing is to service yourself and forget about reel warranty.

line roller bearing WILL NEVER BE COVERED UNDER WARRANTY no matter which manufacturer you go to, so your already fighting a loosing battle.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:46 pm

purple5ive wrote:
skronkman wrote:My point being that if you don't service it they claim it wasn't looked after, if you do service it then you void the warranty. Having to send it to the manufacturer for servicing is a joke, it would cost more for a service than the price of a new reel for many of their lower end stuff. The warranty issues has nothing to do with my servicing and everything to do with being manufactured to a less than fit standard for its purpose and price. I have done my servicing for years and don't see why they tell you that servicing is required for warranty purposes and also provide an exploded diagram in the box if you are not meant to perform one.

The reel is less than 12 months old, it is priced nearly 10 times the price of their entry level Sienna and the quality, warranty and after sales support should reflect this.

My own personal case aside, if corrosion is not covered, bearings are not covered, servicing the real yourself voids warranty, sending it in for a service costs more than the price of middle of the road reel, then I maintain my argument that the shimano warranty is worthless.

Servicing is not rocket science and once not so long ago servicing your reel or your car was something you were supposed to do yourself and the instructions on doing it came with the product. Repairs are a shop job, servicing is maintenance and should be able to be performed by the lay man (and is except for the rules designed so as to void warranties).

For each and everyone to decide for themselves what they do with the information I've provided here. I for one will not be purchasing shimano again after my experiences in dealing with them.

opening up the reel yourself will void warranty automatically, thats is what i have seen and heard before.
thats the whole point of the 10 years warranty, its only valid if you have the reel serviced by shimano.
and why would you buy a reel based on the 10 year warranty is beyond me, most people can never find the proof of purchase to start warranty claims, let alone worry about fixing a reel 10 years on. most buy a new one and move on

line roller bearing WILL NEVER BE COVERED UNDER WARRANTY no matter which manufacturer you go to, so your already fighting a loosing battle.
At the end of the day though they can say whatever they like on their warranty but if the ACCC says something different the warranty doesn't mean anything. I had a quick look on the ACCC website and can't see anything mentioned there that looks like it would exclude bearings in fishing reels from the guarantees provided by consumer law.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:48 pm

4liters wrote:
purple5ive wrote:

At the end of the day though they can say whatever they like on their warranty but if the ACCC says something different the warranty doesn't mean anything. I had a quick look on the ACCC website and can't see anything mentioned there that looks like it would exclude bearings in fishing reels from the guarantees provided by consumer law.
how much do you value your time????
is the $25 to fix it more valuable to you than trying to fight the company / warranty claim????

fishin

Post by fishin » Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:50 pm

Sounds like I get better service from Kmart, never had a problem

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”