Small baitrunner reels for land based fishing

savit

Re: Small baitrunner reels for land based fishing

Post by savit » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:43 am

Thank you very much Guys for explanations and rubber/foam tips.

Probably I will get a a small baitrunner, so I can adjust quickly the 'light' drag.
Open bail arm is not good as the rod is usually unattended and the current can be strong. I have already 6500B for long casts and heavy use.

So,I would prefer something small close to 2500 reel size. What would be smallest reel of Shimano Baitrunner 4000 OC, older 3500B, Penn SSV Live Liner 4500? Are they all OK with braid?

laneends
Has liked: 3 times

Post by laneends » Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:39 pm

I have a shimano 6000oc and a penn slammer 560 live liner, and the shimano is the better reel hands down. Though both are good reels and it comes down to price. The shimano 4000DL is an underrated reel, of which I have 2 in 4000 and 1 in 2500. They have copped a hammering over the years

savit

Post by savit » Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:29 pm

laneends wrote:I have a shimano 6000oc and a penn slammer 560 live liner, and the shimano is the better reel hands down. Though both are good reels and it comes down to price. The shimano 4000DL is an underrated reel, of which I have 2 in 4000 and 1 in 2500. They have copped a hammering over the years
Thanks laneends. How would you compare Shimano baitrunner DL vs OC and older B series? I understand that only DL is available in small 2500 spool size.

laneends

Post by laneends » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:57 pm

Still available in 4000

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Shimano-Bait ... SwA3dYMeMc

I also have a couple of the STs which are similar but with less bearings. I would probably pick the DL over ST though unless there is a large difference in $$.

DL also comes with spare spool (or at least it used to), so that could affect listed price.

On my OC one thing that annoys me is the handle easily loosens if turned the wrong way inadvertently, the penns do the same. Never have that happen with any of the DLs.

I would be happy with either for the price. Go feel them and compare if you have the chance. The OC may be more widely available in stores.

Whiskers

Post by Whiskers » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:37 pm

Bait runners are the go. You don't have to use the bait runner function but it's very useful. Particularly when you go to have a pee. That's the time you're guaranteed to get a hit from a solid fish.

It's better to have a fish pull line off the reel than see your rods catapult into the water.
:)

savit

Post by savit » Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:47 pm

Thank you guys,

Laneends, I saw 4000 DL and OC in the store. Would like to check 2500 DL. I like spare spools as it save the space in my tackle bag.

Whiskers, Yes, definitely another reason to consider baitrunner. From my experience, fully locked reel drag on a light gear/line attracts large fish as well ,even if it the rod is in your hands (no idea how they feel it) ;)

So, is Shimano 3500B reel larger than 4000 OC/DL?

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”