Small baitrunner reels for land based fishing

savit

Small baitrunner reels for land based fishing

Post by savit » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:11 am

Hi All,

Just trying to understand the benefits of small baitrunner reels for land based fishing.
So, when would you prefer to use small baitrunners e.g. Shimano 3500/4500 size or smaller?

Thank you,
savit

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Re: Small baitrunner reels for land based fishing

Post by hornet » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:07 am

savit wrote:Hi All,

Just trying to understand the benefits of small baitrunner reels for land based fishing.
So, when would you prefer to use small baitrunners e.g. Shimano 3500/4500 size or smaller?

Thank you,
savit
I use my baitrunners for safety really, sometimes I can't get to my rod quick enough when I get a big strike and run ! I engage it so my rods don't get pulled in, saw it happen years ago to a guy that couldn't get to his rod because the run was so quick it went flying in the drink, happened to me once also when a huge run nearly took my surf rod in, I grabbed it just in time but hurt myself in the process, it has saved my rods a few times over the years now. As you get older you tend to slow down ! getting older sucks !
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

savit

Post by savit » Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:30 pm

Thanks hornet.
I understand your safety reasons. I fish regularly with 2 rods (one with bait and one with lures), so it is not always possible to attend quickly the bait rod in the middle of the lure cast, no matter what your age is. Tightening and adjusting the common-reel drag in the middle of the fish run close to the structure is not fun as well, so pre-set baitrunner's drag is much more convenient.
Are there other benefits besides above mentioned for small baitrunners?

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:52 pm

savit wrote:Thanks hornet.
I understand your safety reasons. I fish regularly with 2 rods (one with bait and one with lures), so it is not always possible to attend quickly the bait rod in the middle of the lure cast, no matter what your age is. Tightening and adjusting the common-reel drag in the middle of the fish run close to the structure is not fun as well, so pre-set baitrunner's drag is much more convenient.
Are there other benefits besides above mentioned for small baitrunners?
Personally for me small baitrunners for trout or bream I find unnecessary, with these fish I if needed I can leave the bail open, I use the baitrunners for big fish only.
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

BIG GAV
Has liked: 2 times

Post by BIG GAV » Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:50 pm

Hey mate I do not have any that small but TBH I always lock my bait runner up anyway.. only time I use it really is to drop baits straight down in heavy current in wp..

I've not hooked up often leaving it in runner mode so stopped using it
If I'm not fishing, I'd rather be fishing!

laneends
Has liked: 3 times

Post by laneends » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:23 pm

small baitrunners for carp and maccas, set them as light as possible so that it stops the current pulling line off as it does with and open bail. I use the shimano ST and DL 2500/4000.

ie sucking fish, not predatory hit and run fish

Or the bushmans baitrunner, horizontal rod, line pulled down with a twig or similar resting on it.

Dont use circles in runner mode, they need the drag to self hook.

dezza68

Post by dezza68 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:39 am

If you dont fish areas with too much tidal flow (as you are after a small one I'm guessing not) I just cut a square of sponge and wedge it it the first rod ring. Then you just leave the bail arm open or really light drag. The sponge stops the line running off.
Cast, catch and put it back

Misheen

Post by Misheen » Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:32 am

Or a rubber band around the rod then loop the line under it if that makes any sense.

skronkman
Has liked: 4 times

Post by skronkman » Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:50 am

I like to use my 4500 OC for snapper and gummies in WP with black magic KS hooks, from a boat though. I'd think for land based the spool would be a bit small for big casts. I suppose it depends where you're fishing whether or not that is an issue. But I don't do much land based bait fishing.........

laneends
Has liked: 3 times

Post by laneends » Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:21 am

On a kayak where you have less room to manouvere baitrunners make pulling line out for rerigging easier, also for temporary letting off tension to get rod out of a holder on a big strike, or giving time to pull other lines in.

Downside, more weight and moving parts to fail.

Some baitrunners have a greater range of secondary drag compared to others eg Shimanos have greater range than penn which are very basic (but eminently easier to DIY service)

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”