Baitrunner size help.

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Baitrunner size help.

Post by hornet » Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:20 pm

Guy's I cannot find comparison pictures anywhere on the net, I cannot get to a tackle store anytime soon to physically see the difference.

I need to see next to each other the shimano Thunnus 6000 and the shimano Thunnus 8000.

It's to shuffle between a snapper rod and a surf rod and 30lb braid on it.

They are the same sizes as the baitrunner D and OC series so if anyone has the 6000 and 8000 in these other series that would help also.

I have a 4000 D size baitrunner and find the line capacity lacking after a descent cast.... the Thunnus is a beautiful reel.
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Re: Baitrunner size help.

Post by Redhunter » Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:55 pm

Have you had a look at the specs of the 2? I'd be thinking the 8000 would be better suited mate.

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:12 pm

Redhunter wrote:Have you had a look at the specs of the 2? I'd be thinking the 8000 would be better suited mate.
Yes I've tried to compare by the specs, it seems the 8000 may be a little on the large size but until I can see both side by side I'm undecided.

Very little on the net and I've looked for days..
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

Tackleberry
Has liked: 289 times

Post by Tackleberry » Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:56 pm

hmmm for surf be buggered if i would even use the 12000 too small
"When the people fear the Govn't, that is Tyrany, when the Govn't fear the people, that is Liberty"

Experience is what you get when **** happens

skronkman
Has liked: 4 times

Post by skronkman » Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:58 am

I have a 6000OC and my decky has 2 X 8000OC. They are so similar in size it's hard to tell them apart. The 8000 is obviously a little larger but not by much. We both use them for snapper and gummies and neither of us feel they are too big or too small for the job. If you were going to use it in the surf as well you might as well go for the bigger of the 2 reels though in my opinion. They have the same drag rating (9.0kg) that you can upgrade easily with carbontex, the 8000 has a slightly larger spool and is slightly heavier.

As tack says above, even the 8000 is not a big reel for surf fishing, i don't do much surf fishing though so seek another opinion.

Rustie

Post by Rustie » Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:39 am

ever look into Daiwa Emcast Advance? 15 kgs drag and come with 2 spools.

I used to use it for surf and snapper fishing as well.. lots of power, drop into the Sand heaps of time and no problem.. owe 3 of these over 10 years still works well

smokin_reels
Has liked: 308 times

Post by smokin_reels » Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:04 am

Shimano Big Baitrunner Longest XTA. I have one of those and it is particularly handy land based. Doubles for the surf and ballooning baits of a pier for snapper.
There is always more to learn , fish to catch , places to see and friends to make.

smokin_reels
Has liked: 308 times

Post by smokin_reels » Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:05 am

Also no metal to rust .or so they say
There is always more to learn , fish to catch , places to see and friends to make.

joey

Post by joey » Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:29 am

I use the shimano big bait runner xtr-a lc ci4+. Awesome reel, however I had to get them imported from overseas as I couldn't find them in Aus. Tough reel and light weight. You also get two large reels for the long casts. Not cheap though once you add freight. Size equals around an 8000. I use them on all my surf rods. Only down side for me is that the handle could have been i big bigger.

laneends
Has liked: 3 times

Post by laneends » Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:07 am

6000 is borderline small for a beach surf rod if you have to let a lot of line out in a shallow sloping beach. Capacity is similar to penn 560.

After you have cut off line a few times reels are typically not full so a margin needs to allowed for that.

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”