Some reel advice

Marty.A

Some reel advice

Post by Marty.A » Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:52 pm

Hi all

With the start of snapper here already I was wondering if this reel might be a bit of overkill for them.
I have a pair which have been sitting around for a while but in perfect working order and I'm thinking of getting both serviced and re-spooled.
I have a reels in the 4500 size and would like to know what would be the better option as I don't get a chance to fish the salt that often.

Cheers
Marty
Attachments
IMAG0025.jpg

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Re: Some reel advice

Post by ducky » Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:43 pm

In my opinion (and it's just that) it's a useless reel for snapper.

My reasons, it's too big for ppb where you'd use the bait runner mode. In westernport it's perfect size wise but you don't use baitrunner mode so you may aswell have a fixed gear reel.

I had 2 4500b's that I sold off because they were too big for ppb and too small for wpb. I believe the 3500b are the ideal baitrunner for PPB and 8-10k fixed ideal for Wpb (bycatch) I currently run 3000's shimanos in ppb but I haven't fished them enough to advise them as "the" snapper reel to use.

Marty.A

Post by Marty.A » Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:58 pm

ducky wrote:In my opinion (and it's just that) it's a useless reel for snapper.

My reasons, it's too big for ppb where you'd use the bait runner mode. In westernport it's perfect size wise but you don't use baitrunner mode so you may aswell have a fixed gear reel.

I had 2 4500b's that I sold off because they were too big for ppb and too small for wpb. I believe the 3500b are the ideal baitrunner for PPB and 8-10k fixed ideal for Wpb (bycatch) I currently run 3000's shimanos in ppb but I haven't fished them enough to advise them as "the" snapper reel to use.
Thanks mate very much appreciated :thumbsup: I bought them years ago when everyone thought that big was better but I will hang on to them as they still work perfectly. The two 4500 that I have are Diawa Saltist Nero's so i'll go with them for now but I'm might take my Diawa 3000 Exceler and see how that goes.
Cheers
Marty.

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:14 pm

You fishing from a boat or land based Marty?

Like Ducky said, they are a bit overkill but they will do the job.
I got a 4500 bait runner I use for snapper on a sonic pro rod. It does the job also.
I've also caught snapper on my trout and whiting combos.. daiwa 2000h and 2500h

Marty.A

Post by Marty.A » Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:26 pm

Sinsemilla wrote:You fishing from a boat or land based Marty?

Like Ducky said, they are a bit overkill but they will do the job.
I got a 4500 bait runner I use for snapper on a sonic pro rod. It does the job also.
I've also caught snapper on my trout and whiting combos.. daiwa 2000h and 2500h
Hey Anth my mates just finished re-furbishing his boat so I will have the chance to put some hours into saltwater fishing again.
I had a very bad experience a few years back fishing salt water land based in the Newport area got bailed up by a couple of druggies and lost my wallet and some gear it shook me up a lot so that's why I don't fish salt LB unless someone is with me, that's why I've steered over to fresh water as less chance of running into those type of people.

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:48 pm

Thats **** mate. That's why I don't fish landbased at all.. Such weirdos ive met fishing off piers.. no offence to the LB fishos haha. ill hit a pier up during the day if anything.

Yeh well any of the reels you've mentioned are fine. You can go light with snapper. they don't really fight dirty. just a few nice runs and they are in.
hopefully I can find some time to get out next week to get myself on the reds board.
What boat did your mate re-furb?

skronkman
Has liked: 4 times

Post by skronkman » Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:14 am

I dont think there is anything wrong with those reels for WP. Everyone has a preference though so it's all just opinion. I run a 6500OC bait runner in WP and I use bait runner mode with suicide hooks. I love it when the spool takes off, I pick up the rod, flick the lever then strike.i have upgraded the drag with carbon washers though.

Bodz

Post by Bodz » Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:52 am

I've got 3 6500's (early models) still going strong, use for PPB on snapper and if a good size Gummy takes the bait it handles them well.
I use them on snapper rods and also excellent on my surf rods.
Bodz.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:34 pm

Use the 3000 daiwas in ppb they will be perfect.
I'm using a 2500 with a 3-6kg rod for plastics.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:41 pm

I use 2 stradic 4000 for westen port and i use stradic 2500 and a abu 4500 for ppb and a shimanoo ax 4000 as a back up that stays on the boat just incase

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”