Short Butt Rods in Snapper Racks

TheGreatestGoat

Short Butt Rods in Snapper Racks

Post by TheGreatestGoat » Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:06 am

Hey Guys,

First post. Just bought a boat, so you might see me around from now on!

Wanted to start off with a quick question. Basically, I just fitted my boat with snapper racks and after doing a bit of research I decided the Starlo Classix 7 footers were decent rods to start off with. Got a couple of the 4-8kgs which I coupled with Symetre 4000s and a couple of the 2-5kgs which i paired with Symetre 3000s (mainly for soft plastics, but also light snapper bait rods).

The only thing is because of the short cork spinning style butts, they don't really sit well in the racks. First issue is, there's just enough rod to poke out the back so I'm concerned at how secure they are. Second issue is that due to the length of the butt it's actually the reel seat that sits on the steel (ie. where the reel connects to the rod) rather than the but itself. Surely this can't be good for the rod or reel.

Does anyone have any experience using these rods in snapper racks? Have I chosen incorrect rods for my application?

Thanks in advance,
Matt
:water:

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Re: Short Butt Rods in Snapper Racks

Post by Mattblack » Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:25 am

Hey Matt....great question, I had something pull a rod out of the holder on Sunday (not sure what I'm more annoyed about, losing the rod or the fish). The guys at my local tackle shop said it wouldn't have happened with a snapper rack & I should have one regardless because the fish wont feel the rod tip bend over as much...fair enough.
Anyway, I looked at the snapper racks and thought exactly the same thing as you....they did sell lanyards at $10 a pop, but they looked like a PITA.

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:53 am

Yep short butts are **** and don't work in snapper racks.

PS Matt snapper racks are overrated.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:24 pm

Only thing i can suggest is to cut a small slit wide enough to let the reel stem drop down some more.
and grind the edges so they are not sharp.

Trumpeter
Has liked: 71 times

Post by Trumpeter » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:43 pm

Try a few wraps of electrical tape around the rod where it makes contact with the holder, I've done this on a few split grip type rods to firstly protect the bare section from the stainless but it does help stop them rolling around a little to.

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Scraglor » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:22 pm

Basically those rods aren't designed to fit in snapper racks. I have snapper racks, and when I bring my starlo stix out I rotate the reel 90 degrees to the left or right and slide them in further that way. It isn't ideal, but it's better than them falling out. I just went and bought different rods for the boat

I always make sure I check butt length now for any rid that I plan to have sitting in them. I find it happens most with light spinning sticks.

TheGreatestGoat

Post by TheGreatestGoat » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:39 pm

Thanks for the replies guys.

Can anyone recommend any suitable rods?

Something with a longer butt length but not too heavy around 7 food. Something in the 3-6kg class.

There are ones about in 5-8kg/6-8kg class, OK for Westernport, but it's a bit overkill for my liking in Port Phillip.

Cheers

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:37 am

plenty of rods to choose from. Id have a look at the southern snappers. A touch longer then what you want but proven a million times over.

Silstar crystal blues also produce some nice glass rods.

I've done the short butt rods on a 90 degree angle and its a huge pain in the arse. Simple answer was to not bring them on the bot any more.

Tackleberry
Has liked: 301 times

Post by Tackleberry » Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:16 pm

is this and the bigger ones what you are calling snapper racks
IMG_3066 (Medium).JPG
"When the people fear the Govn't, that is Tyrany, when the Govn't fear the people, that is Liberty"

Experience is what you get when **** happens

Trumpeter
Has liked: 71 times

Post by Trumpeter » Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:51 pm

I like the old shool Ugly Stiks. The Platinum (USP) ESP2130 1-4KG, or the SP1170 3-4KG are both 7ft and have plenty of butt. The 2130 is quite sensitive so is good for smaller species like KGW as well but still powerful and extremely strong.

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”