Rod & Reel Suggestion/s please

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Re: Rod & Reel Suggestion/s please

Post by 4liters » Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:19 pm

I've got a 4-7kg 1062 Catana Nano which is a really nice rod for whiting/flathead/pinkie fishing off the beach. It can also throw a small metal a reasonable distance
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

poodoo
Has liked: 2 times

Post by poodoo » Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:43 pm

Rustie wrote:
poodoo wrote:I have a 11 foot seajigger or 13 foot nitro messiah as my beach / rocks spin gear.
Same as mine... seajigger n messiah! good Taste! lol :rofl: :rofl:

poodoo, do u find the seajigger cast better then the messiah even tho it is 11ft vs 13ft messiah? or is it just me? :(
No not really but the longer rods require a bit more practice to load it up

BigBad64

Post by BigBad64 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:49 pm

Fish-cador wrote:Got a budget in mind?

For beach/rock bait soaking I use penn prevail 11 footers. I pair them with sustain or stradic. If the weather is rough i use the sedona 5000 reels as i can afford to get these reels get wasted faster. :-)
Is $300 going to get me any sort of half decent combination?

I see the Penn Prevails' mentioned a couple of times - a quick Google shows they are about $200 - doesn't leave much for a decent reel I suppose.

Thanks for the info re the dropper loops - I had always just left them intact and put them on as CarlG suggested so cheers.

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:32 pm

BB,

I have and use the following.

A shimano 902 Catana / Tcurve coastal.....honestly these are fine for 90% of anything you're ever going to hook in the bay. Bit short.

A Penn Allegiance 1002 8-15kg . 10 footer, fills the gap between my long rods and my surf spins. will smoke anything short of a king, casts to 120g and doubles as a heavy spin rod. It weighs the same as a nitro rockstar and is unbelievably good for the price. Retail price 109 bucks.

Daiwa Saltist 962H. Too heavy for this application.

Nitro 1303 Surf Messiah. Pretty much ideal. Casts to 120g, 13 foot long in three pieces so it's easy to transport. Is light enough to spin with and heavy enough to muscle a decent sized kingfish. Retails over 300 bucks.

AFAW 13 foot 6 and bait. Pretty much a perfect X heavy/LBG casting rod. Casts 175g effectively and can put muscle on pretty much anything that swims. It weighs a freaking ton and is only a 2 piece. Retail I think is about 479 and is probably an overkill for what you're doing.

If we can find a time i'm happy to throw all of these in the car and let you handle them, but honestly, a 1002 Penn Allegiance with a 200ish $ reel from somewhere will cover you for 99% of anything you're going to hook at those locations and double as a heavy spin rod if you choose to use it that way.

Add a 5000 sized shimano or equiv daiwa or penn and off you go. The Penn Battle III (III not II) got a good review but i haven't used them yet. Like FC i use a 5k Sustain.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

BigBad64

Post by BigBad64 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:01 pm

Thanks Dougie, lots of food for thought - I should be able to sort something out with all that info (and all the stuff from everyone else - thanks).

Another question, that's a bit off topic for here I suppose, but when CarlG etc have said just put the whole dropper loop through the hook and don't cut it, where the bait presentation requires a half-hitch (eg. on the pilchards below), I gather you just treat the two bits of line side by side as a single line and half-hitch both of them around the tail?
LBFinPPB004.jpg
P.S. Is that right you just leave the hook dangling out the side of the pilchard? Seems weird and not consistent with what I've Youtubed;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWYc2Ydn8hQ

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:27 pm

BigBad64 wrote:
Fish-cador wrote:
Is $300 going to get me any sort of half decent combination?

I see the Penn Prevails' mentioned a couple of times - a quick Google shows they are about $200 - doesn't leave much for a decent reel I suppose.
Get aerowave composite and Sedona 5000CFE which is only $89 delivered in ebay from good local sellers. Your $300 is more than enough to buy the combo plus line and terminal tackle. Can't buy a boat though.
Last edited by Fish-cador on Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:31 pm

Carl and I fish together a lot. I prefer pulley rigs for anything bigger than a 2/0 or so. When fishing with a paternoster we use almost exclusively circle hooks and cutlet baits or squid. The exception is using live fish which we bridle rig So cut a cross section of the fish then pin it through the back bone making sure the gape of the hook is fully exposed.

The exception is using two snelled hooks, which i'll often use for a long strip bait or whole fish. You won't use two hooks with a dropped loop though.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

dezza68

Post by dezza68 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:43 pm

I use a nano 904 or a Daiwa Laguna 1202h for heavier work which covers most things in the bays. I use a 13ft ABU Esprit for my rock fishing. I mostly use overheads when im bottom fishing but Ive got a Laguna 4000 that I use for most of my spinning and a Silstar 6000 for when I need a fast retrieve.
Cast, catch and put it back

Tackleberry
Has liked: 289 times

Post by Tackleberry » Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:22 pm

BigBad64 wrote:Thanks Dougie, lots of food for thought - I should be able to sort something out with all that info (and all the stuff from everyone else - thanks).

Another question, that's a bit off topic for here I suppose, but when CarlG etc have said just put the whole dropper loop through the hook and don't cut it, where the bait presentation requires a half-hitch (eg. on the pilchards below),I gather you just treat the two bits of line side by side as a single line and half-hitch both of them around the tail?
LBFinPPB004.jpg
P.S. Is that right you just leave the hook dangling out the side of the pilchard? Seems weird and not consistent with what I've Youtubed;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWYc2Ydn8hQ
yep

and i don't i leave the hook in where they 1st put it
"When the people fear the Govn't, that is Tyrany, when the Govn't fear the people, that is Liberty"

Experience is what you get when **** happens

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:30 pm

Plenty of rod options mate. The 9 foot rod you have already is a decent rod and you can use that for olivers hill without any issues. Pair it with a 3000 daiwa or 4000 shimano and you should be right.
The shimano siennas are a great budget reel.

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”