Nibble tip rods.

Mutley and Scruffy

Nibble tip rods.

Post by Mutley and Scruffy » Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:22 pm

Hi all
Was looking at some of these in a tackle store a while ago...it dawned on me that I don't have any? Am curious, are these rods used for a particular species of fish or style of bait fishing? If they are used for particular species, what is it about these fish that need a rod like this? Trying to justify being able to buy some!
cheers
Jim

ThomasG

Re: Nibble tip rods.

Post by ThomasG » Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:39 pm

Yeah, ive got a couple in the shed. Bought them to catch bait, pillies and gardies. Have since discovered its far quicker to walk at night with the flounder light and a net.

Cheers....ThomasG

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:50 pm

I have a silstar crystal nibble tip, I find it most handy when the fish are skittish ? or when fishing with out floats, I find they are best used with light lines, trout, redfin, gars, bream, mullet, bay trout (little salmon ) tommy roughes, these types of fish are ideal for nibble tip finesse fishing, I haven't tried spinning with mine so I'm not sure if they can double the role they are intended for but I will next time I'm at Eildon, as for a bait rod I do like using mine, I looked at the multi-tip nibble tips with different weight tips you can change depending on the fishing situation at the time, but have found the fixed nibble tip does me just fine.
Last edited by hornet on Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

davjak
Has liked: 13 times

Post by davjak » Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:52 pm

I was bought a nibble tip as my first rod many years ago. It helped me see bites better and I learnt very quickly, now they sit behind the pile of 25 other rods unused.

But I have loaned them to beginners because I do believe it taught me how to be a better fisherman :)

fishpod

Post by fishpod » Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:59 pm

Originally bought out for Whiting fishing and still rate as great whiting rod, I would go as far as saying that no others compare when fishing for them ;-)

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:42 pm

All I've ever used on Whiting

Mutley and Scruffy

Post by Mutley and Scruffy » Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:17 pm

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like it may be a good option for the (freshwater) blackfish I have been chasing at times without much luck of late.
cheers
Jim

HarryS11

Post by HarryS11 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:28 pm

I've had some success with a cheap one for some of the more skittish cod around. They will slowly pull on the bait, which will show on a nibble tip but not on my heavier graphite rod allowing me to identify and strike at a bite that otherwise would go unnoticed

brybry

Post by brybry » Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:29 pm

Been using various nibble tip rods for maggot fishing for trout in rivers for close to twenty years.

Currently using the Daiwa Air Edge 9ft with 2lb flourocarbon, swim feeder, flavoured ground bait.

Works a treat. Detects the smallest bite. The extra length help absorb the fight from even largish fish and control the fish.

Favourite what the old 9ft Heartland X. Can get them any more.

Basti
Has liked: 15 times

Post by Basti » Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:48 pm

i've got a couple of nibble tip rods that i use for everything from whiting to gars and mullet under floats to all of my freshwater bait sessions so far. replaceable tips are handy

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”