Can it be done ?

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Can it be done ?

Post by hornet » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:26 pm

Has anyone done any fresh water spinning with a nibble tip rod ? tassie devils rapala's ect... *actual experience*

I was going to buy an ultra light spin rod for light fresh water spinning, but I have a nibble tip with little use so if it can be done it saves buying another rod.
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

skronkman
Has liked: 4 times

Re: Can it be done ?

Post by skronkman » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:07 pm

Not really no. Even the difference between a celta, rapala and a tassie is enough to warrant different rods in my opinion but I usually get away with only 2 rods to cover these. A nibble tip is way too soft at the end, you'll have no sensitivity and it will deaden the action of the lure too. I'm not sure how you'd go casting the lighter lures either. Bait rods usually have a much slower action than spin rods too, this is to help prevent tearing the bait off the hook when you cast, it's more of a lob. A rod will have a sweet spot when it comes to casting weight so look for one that matches your lure weights as best as possible, it will be printed on the rod shaft near where it gives the line weight and length.

You can probably lob a tassie with anything due to its weight and as long as you've got a hook in the water you're in with a chance. For the lighter lures you'll really want something more specific to spinning. Like a 6'8" 2-6lb graphite rod matched to a 1000 - 1500 egg beater. Use the lightest line you're prepared to risk. I use an 8lb braid with a 4 lb nylon leader. Or sometimes just 100 meters of 4lb mono. Use a loop knot for attaching your lures also, like the knot on the rapala packet.

At the end of the day, you can fish just about any style with any equipment but your success and enjoyment will be effected dramatically by using more appropriate gear. All the best.

fishpod

Post by fishpod » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:41 pm

Used to do it in the old days before the graphite was around so I don't see why it wouldn't work now

hornet

Post by hornet » Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:47 am

Thx for the input, I realise not many have used a nibble tip for spinning hence few replies, I did receive some emails from shy members LOL .. with their thoughts, seems we have a 50 / 50 split decision so the next time I go I'll take the nibble for the day and test the spinning capabilities of it, this will answer my quest with out doubt.

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:51 am

I used to fish for whiting in Hervey Bay with my uncle. For Xmas in 1996 my mum bought me a silstar matchpicker with a ryobi reel from kmart, perfect whiting rod.

Shortly afterwards, one of mums friends asked if i'd like to go trout fishing. My first trout experience was stalking up the acheron river, knee deep in water, with 12 year old me refusing to use anything other than my whiting rod.

I tried it again recently just to see how bad it was. The answer? it was bad. Precicion casting with light weights and microguides and i think 4.5kg mono is a nightmare.

If you're just spinning a lake it might be ok, but for streams, pickup something like a berkley slingshot or a 702 xl catana. The slingshots are going super super cheap at the moment.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

hornet

Post by hornet » Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:01 am

Thx Dougie, I wanted to avoid buying another rod but that may change now, BCF emailed last night and are having a sale ends Sunday ( members ? ) with all or most rods at 20 to 40 % off, at these lower prices another rod sitting around with little use won't be such an issue. It can always double up as a bait rod.

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:02 am

It can be done. Is it ideal? No. But if it's the difference between getting a lure into the water or not then give it a crack.

Hell going back 5 weeks ago I was fishing 5" swimbaits on a Light bait rod and 15lb mono for jews. Why? Because conditions were perfect, I was in the area and had time to kill and that's all I had in the car. Haha. It was absolutely ridiculous btw

If you are wanting a cheap but high quality lure rod plat.co.jp are currently clearing out some majorcraft rods at 50% off. $90 delivered and they'll be better than anything at that price point locally.

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”