Bait casting rod

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Bait casting rod

Post by ducky » Wed May 25, 2016 2:33 am

Hey guys.

Looking to get into a bit of cod fishing this coming year. Will be a fairly even split between boat and kayak based. Mostly casting but will end up doing a spot of trolling.

reel is a Daiwa T3 SV8.1 I picked up pretty cheap. Looking to spool it with some 35lb braid. Will probably run 30-50lb leaders depending on the area I'm fishing. Lures will be in the range of pompadours and other big surface lures. larger spinnerbaits like the bassman 4x4. And some deep diving cranks. Although it remains to be seen how an 8.1 retrieve ratio deals with a deep diving crank

The question is. What rod? I looked at the cod raiders after reading posts from the likes of barra mick. But that would involve committing the mortal sin of putting a daiwa reel on a shimano rod. Which is like putting a 350 Chev in a Leyland P76 haha.

Seriously though I'm looking at the daiwa gen black range in particular as the spin rods are great bang for buck so I presume the BC is the same story. Having never had one in hand I'm currently tossing up between the cranky and the gongbeater. I think the beef stick will be too heavy and the others too light? Seeking opinions of those that have got a few cod to their name.

Will accept other suggestions in the sub $150 range.

Not interested in going to a middle of the range weight that can double as a yella/bass stick or whatever. Mainly because if I can get into using BC I'll be buying a smaller outfit to suit that kind of stuff.
Attachments
image.jpg

Basti
Has liked: 15 times

Re: Bait casting rod

Post by Basti » Wed May 25, 2016 7:37 am

i'd pick the gongbeater. you won't need cast distance as you can just paddle closer to the snag. the heavier lure rating is handy too. Had a play with the gen black bc three piece model (dunno name) in a tackleshop and it felt like it had a heap of grunt. I made a list of heavy bass rods when looking for mine. the following are rated to 20lb and 10000-15500yen at the end of last year

Major Craft Go emotion GEC-662MH
Daiwa BLAZON 6102MHB
Tailwalk BACKHOO rise C672MH
Major Craft Go emotion GEC-662M
Major Craft Go emotion GEC-692MH
Major Craft corzza CZC-662MH
Tailwalk GEKIHA KR C682MH
Major Craft corzza CZC-662M
Daiwa BLAZON 662MB
shimano zoidas 166ML-2
shimano zoidas 166M-2

Snapper Snatcher
Has liked: 3 times

Post by Snapper Snatcher » Wed May 25, 2016 8:39 am

http://www.motackle.com.au/d-a-m-super-basser-rods.html

Grab the 10-20lb model of this, my mates have all the models and they're really good rods, usually they're around $140 so for $49 plus probably about $15 postage they're a steal. Obviously they're not as light in the hand as a loomis or anything like that but you really can't go wrong for the price.

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Wed May 25, 2016 8:57 am

Cheers SS. At that price it may be worth getting a couple of sizes haha. These may have just jumped to the top of the shopping list

eslop

Post by eslop » Sun May 29, 2016 11:47 am

Gen black is good and the new raiders look ok. I have the older raider and have and it bent plenty of times.

VooDoo
Has liked: 165 times

Post by VooDoo » Sun May 29, 2016 2:52 pm

Snapper Snatcher wrote:http://www.motackle.com.au/d-a-m-super-basser-rods.html

Grab the 10-20lb model of this, my mates have all the models and they're really good rods, usually they're around $140 so for $49 plus probably about $15 postage they're a steal. Obviously they're not as light in the hand as a loomis or anything like that but you really can't go wrong for the price.
Thanks SS !! Just ordered 3 rods .. at that price i just said bugger it and go for it .. one can't have too many rods or reels :)

"VooDoo .... WhoDoo .... YouDoo .... VooDoo" The Bug (Bugatti) S.A. [2019]

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Sun May 29, 2016 5:04 pm

I'd pick the Gongbeater. 6 1/2 foot rod is a bit too long for working those bigger lures. then just get one of the lighter D.A.M. Super Basser for your yellas and bass

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Sun May 29, 2016 6:39 pm

Here is some of the fish the raider has landed

They can handle some good fish....as a disclaimer I should add ive snapped over 5 off them but im fishing alot off the time in waters were you dont know what the f...k you will get next.

Cheers bm
Attachments
20151013_172649.jpg
IMG_0349.jpg
IMG_0349.jpg (96.83 KiB) Viewed 1885 times
20160310_111100.jpg
IMG_3996.jpg
you gotta hav a crack even if yr just pissin in the wind

VooDoo
Has liked: 165 times

Post by VooDoo » Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:02 pm

Snapper Snatcher wrote:http://www.motackle.com.au/d-a-m-super-basser-rods.html

The three rods arrived!!!

Bought 2 x SC-602M rods (10 - 17lb) and 1 x SC-702H rod (12 - 25lb) .. They're DAM good rods!!! :) ... and love the feel so far .. Bloody bargain at $168 total for the rods and freight.

"VooDoo .... WhoDoo .... YouDoo .... VooDoo" The Bug (Bugatti) S.A. [2019]

Snapper Snatcher
Has liked: 3 times

Post by Snapper Snatcher » Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:14 pm

Glad you like them! They are such nice rods for the price.

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”