custom rods

manta350

custom rods

Post by manta350 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:25 pm

What's people's opinion on custom rods?
are they better than a good quality factory built rod?

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Re: custom rods

Post by ducky » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:35 pm

They can be better. They can be worse. One thing I have learnt is it guts the price on the resale market. I've got 3 customs made by a mate (great quality) but I will buy factory from now on until I want something I can't find off the shelf.

Marty.A

Post by Marty.A » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:45 pm

Welcome to the forum :thumbsup: With the quality and variety you can get off the shelf you cant go wrong with a factory rod. You can also find a factory rod to suit any budget IMO. There is a place for custom rods no doubt but I suspect price wise there will be a bigger mark up over a factory equivalent.

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:54 am

Ive got a custum made barra rod

My shimino raider is just as good and catches as many fish....and was 500 bucks cheaper

The only advantage is that the custum rod is lighter over a whole day of fishing

Bm
you gotta hav a crack even if yr just pissin in the wind

fishmagnet

Post by fishmagnet » Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:47 am

If you're after a custom rod both howler custom rods and SG custom rods make terrific rods. With these ones there's a major difference to the ones off the shelf. Only felt light rods made by them 1-3kg and 2-4kg because my mates all have them and they are terrific

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:07 am

Custom rods cost a lot more and they can be better. There is always the chance of a dud as well.

The main benefit is that you can get exactly what you want.

The custom rods I have are balanced perfectly, they were built and balanced to suit a specific reel.
Just that little bit nicer to use, you don't notice much of a difference at first but you do by the end of the day.

What are they are worth second hand no idea I never intended to sell them but I would expect they would be worth more than mass produced rods.

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:37 am

On your last point frozen pod. It really depends. Most customs aren't worth more than the sum total of their parts. I have an MHX 8-16lb rod built for jewing. A bery nice rod with good components. But it ended up being way too fast for my liking. It cost me $300 and I couldn't get the $170 I was chasing for it when it wasn't very old.

These days it sits in the rack Unused until I have a desire to throw stickbaits in the vain hope something will eat them (kings and tuna)

However a rod with a name and pedigree would definitely hold its value over that period.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:57 am

With the availablity of so many types of rods now off the shelf that do technique specific actions (ie- daiwa gen black range, or similar) is there really a need for custom rods? apart from wanting to stand out or have something unique..
if its the latter, then yes, you can choose what you want, colour, blank, have you name or initials on it, type of grips, guides, taper etc etc.

besides what ducky has already mentioned, its very hard to sell later on. similar to doing a custom respray on a car and then selling it later, you have to find the right buyer.

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:14 am

Good point and you are probably right.

Most of my rods from 15 years ago were custom I have only had 2 made in the last 5 years the rest were off the shelf.

With that being said I haven't bought many rods as I still have almost every rod and reel I have every purchased. I look after them and expect they will last.

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”