What game rods better for braid?

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

What game rods better for braid?

Post by smile0784 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:54 pm

Hi all.
Some of my game rods and about 70% of my tackle and heap of there things were stolen from my back yard/varandah cupboard when I went fishing a few weeks back.
The insurance company has decided they would replace them from BCF.
I had a quick look at there website and can't see many roller game rods.

I run braid on my game reels are fixed silicon guides good or best to stick to roller guides as per my previous rods? Or any game rod OK for braid these days?

Cheers ricki

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Re: What game rods better for braid?

Post by Nude up » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:23 pm

When you say game reels what type. We run tiagra 50's tld50's and an tiagra 80 occasionally on a mixture of t-curve and wilson rods all fully rollered we run mono to igfa rules with wind on leaders, we only use them for trolling , skip baiting and live baiting. A number of reasons the tiagra's hold plenty of line capacity and trolling the extra stretch helps to set the hook not pull it out and when you are connected to a big fish less stress on you imagine the head shakes of a 150kg fish on braid with no stretch.
I would be cautious of trolling with braid getting caught down the side of a roller tip when using tag lines sometimes there is slack line when the rigger loaded and the lure pops out of a wave and braid is so thin.
We also run sarragossa 25000's with 50lb powerpro to a double the a wind on which we use for switchbaiting shimano ocea rod no roller tip hopefully this year that outfit will be successful.
I am sure others will have different opinions I have a mate who runs a tiagra with 80lb braid 200mt of mono rollered rod and he doesnt have to many problems. I think it comes down to personal preference. No right or wrong

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:34 pm

Great response Nudester.

Do you troll / jig with the gosa's ? Can you cast with a plaitted double or is it just goint to catch on the way out?
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

Nude up

Post by Nude up » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:06 pm

Between me and my mate we carry gos's in the sizes25000, 20000 and a 10000 on shimano ocea's wilson popper rods and salina jig rods. We set up rods to chuck lures which we normally use a fg knots to the mono leader. Rods to switchbait and rods to jig.saves time rerigging out on the water
Always the problem is carrying enough rods 5 rods to troll 2 rods to switchbait 2 rods to chuck lures the jiging rods double up for catching bait so we normally have about 11 rods on board every day .
The gosa's cast great I really like them we don't cast with the wind on but I have used a bimini double in the braid with 80lb wind ons on the jigging rods which works ok

adamk

Post by adamk » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:58 pm

dont bother with live fiber rods freind has, an said no point over priced

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:06 pm

Will be 2 TLD 50 and 2 TLD 30

Nude up

Post by Nude up » Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:14 pm

Personally I would stick to mono if you intend to troll for bill fish its cheap enough to replace every year and capacity is really not an issue unless you want to deep drop.as for rods we run short strokers for trolling I have replaced my backbone elites with tiagra t-curves my one piece of advice we have caught marlin on the backbones and the t-curves and its a much easier comfortable and shorter fight with the t-curve.

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”