Travelling

dezza68

Travelling

Post by dezza68 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:40 pm

After 6 months having fun I've now got to get back to work and suprise suprise I'm going to be up in Sydney a couple of days a week for the next couple of months. I've never bothered to fish up there before or even to take any gear. My questions are:-
I need to replace my 902 catana so is it worth getting a travel version?
Whats the rules on taking hooks and lures as carry on?
Are there rocks worth fishing from close to the cbd. I dont really want to be fishing where its too busy.
I'll mostly be fishing in the evenings/dark so any areas to get salmon/tailor etc.
Cast, catch and put it back

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Re: Travelling

Post by Scraglor » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:55 pm

dezza68 wrote:After 6 months having fun I've now got to get back to work and suprise suprise I'm going to be up in Sydney a couple of days a week for the next couple of months. I've never bothered to fish up there before or even to take any gear. My questions are:-
I need to replace my 902 catana so is it worth getting a travel version?
Whats the rules on taking hooks and lures as carry on?
Are there rocks worth fishing from close to the cbd. I dont really want to be fishing where its too busy.
I'll mostly be fishing in the evenings/dark so any areas to get salmon/tailor etc.
Im interested in the same questions tbh. I am in Sydney every few weeks. Anyone have any advice?

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:58 pm

Just don't take your knife in your carry on everything else ok. I used to fish off the rocks at coogee great fun. I caught the biggest mullet I have ever caught at the manly ferry terminal

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:18 pm

It's probably best you have a checked bag, I know of people who have had hooks and spools of line (including their spool) seized because they were deemed dangerous and I'm fairly sure lures with hooks on them will be as well.
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

Broomstick
Has liked: 2 times

Post by Broomstick » Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:26 pm

Maz is right, hooks and lures can't be taken on carry on and have to be checked in. I always take my reels (with line on them) in my carry on and have never had a problem (I've taken them on 20+ trips).

poodoo
Has liked: 2 times

Post by poodoo » Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:27 pm

I have taken a travel rod (nitro 007) and reel in my carry on from a flight from melbourne to the US. All my lures needed to be put into check in luggage.

dezza68

Post by dezza68 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:04 pm

Bugger, will have to find somewhere to stash them in the office, cant keep checking bags in.
Cast, catch and put it back

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”