delete

Taleb

delete

Post by Taleb » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:39 am

delete
Last edited by Taleb on Thu May 23, 2019 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Re: Snapper outfit

Post by Brett » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:50 am

I'd say it would be interchangable, though I'm sure you can look at it instore to make sure

Taleb

delete

Post by Taleb » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:51 am

delete

Taleb

delete

Post by Taleb » Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:50 pm

delete

Rogue_Hunter

Post by Rogue_Hunter » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:21 pm

Taleb wrote:By the way, other than bream would a to that light handle landbased salmon and snapper. I know it won't handle anything on a boat.
You will find that a lower rated rod (weight) will be suited better on a boat then a pier as you need the length and strength of the rod to lift it up to the pier; on a boat, its easier to reel in the fish near the boat and then net/grab it.

In regards to the handle, the opposite side should have a knob/screw that you can undo and the handle just slides out; swap it around and tigthen it back up.

Enjoy the new outfit.

Taleb

delete

Post by Taleb » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:17 pm

delete

Taleb

delete

Post by Taleb » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:14 pm

delete

Bartnmax

Post by Bartnmax » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:37 pm

Ok the Daiwa Redback is a reasonable quality outfit that should last ya a decent length of time if it's looked after.
You can definitely change the handle over on the reel.
4-8lbs is pretty light but that doesn't mean it cant catch a hellova lot of fish.
It'll handle small to mid sized snapper if ya careful, as well as whiting, flathead, bream, squid, & a variety of other species.
It wouldn't be my first choice purely for snapper as I prefer something a bit heavier (3-6kg or 4-8kg) for my snapper due to by-catch such as gummys, etc but if you like going after the reds with light gear then by all means got for it.
Last edited by Bartnmax on Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Taleb

delete

Post by Taleb » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:25 pm

delete

Bartnmax

Post by Bartnmax » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:00 am

Just to expand a bit ,more on this topic, I'll post something I've written many times before.

How do we know what to buy? Do we go by what our mate has bought? Has HE bought the right gear?
Could be pretty costly if we're wrong hey?

Well there are two basic rules we can use to guide us through this situation.
Although they’re called ‘Rules’ they really aren't hard & fast 'rules' at all, but rather a general 'guide'.

Anyway, they're known as the 1st & 2nd 'Rules of Three'.

Now, the first 'Rule of Three' states that we can generally handle fish to 3 times the line weight we're using.
So, if we were using say 10kg line, it could generally be relied upon by the average angler to handle fish to around 30kgs. This is where it aint a 'hard & fast' rule as such, but more of a ‘guide’.
There's guys out there that catch massive fish on lines that are just a bee’s ‘whatsit’ up from cotton.
For example – the 260kg Tiger shark caught off WA on 6kg line, a while back.

The guys doing that however, are generally very experienced anglers that have a fantastic knowledge of fighting techniques, & are willing to loose heaps to get that one record they desire.
As a general ‘guide’ for the average angler the 3 to 1 rule is a good place to kick things off from.

Now, we can use this in reverse to work out what we need to buy when heading to the local tackle store.
F'rinstance, the average PPB snapper is around 4-6kg, with a 'bigun' going 8-10kg.
In Westernport a 'bigun' might go 11+kg, & in SA we see the odd behemoth going up around the 15kg mark.
So, based on our 1st 'Rule of Three' we can see that we really only need 5kg line to handle pretty much the largest snapper we're ever likely to hook into. Of course this assumes the angler has the patience to play his fish properly & not overstress things too much. It also doesn’t take into consideration factors such as abrasion against structure, etc. It’s based purely on line weight vs fish weight, but generally we can see that if we’re able to handle snapper to 15kg on 5kg line, then PPBs 4-6kg reds shouldn’t be any problem at all on 5lg line – and they aren’t generally, BUT;
Again we need to consider mitigating factors.
These include dealing with structure & also by-catch such as rays, gummys, etc.

My view is that a better line weight would be up a bit more around the 7-8kg mark.
As many guys like to use their snapper outfits for chasing gummys during winter, etc then even 10-12kg line may not be out of the question. It’s also worth remembering that in places such as Westernport & the southern reaches of PPB, the accepted method is to match gear to conditions & not necessarily just to the fish. Where those big, fast flowing tides have such an impact on our fishing it’s often necessary to use quite heavy outfits just to keep baits on the bottom with big sinkers, where the fish are.
A 10-15kg outfit may not be a bad choice when fishing those hard waters using lumps of lead the size & weight of house bricks.

So, we can se that our line, & hence overall outfit choice, is dictated not just by the fish we’re after but also the location we are fishing. A good general purpose PPB snapper outfit (for boat fishing) would be something like a 6-7 foot long road of around 3-6, 4-8 or even 6-10kg rating, using lines from 5-10kg.

Now, let’s look at the 2nd ‘Rule of Three’.
This states that we need a reel that can deliver & maintain a minimum of 1/3rd line weight in drag pressure.
I say ‘maintain’ as it’s no good starting out with the right drag weight being used, only to find that due to the heat built up in the drag mechanism during the heat of battle, the drag fades to a next to useless level.

So, let’s say we’ve decided to go with a 7 foot rod of 4-8kg rating using say 7lkg line, as our general snapper outfit. We can again see that based on the 7kg line weight, we’ll need a reel that can deliver & maintain a minimum of 2.3kg of drag. These days even the little 1000 size reels can pretty much do that, but again there are mitigating circumstances to factor in. What are they?
Well line capacity if the primary one. There’s no point having a reel that only holds 120 meters of line, which is generally enough for snapper in the relatively shallow waters of PPB, but then a bit of line gets cut off on structure, etc & suddenly you don’t have enough line left to fish with.

In my opinion you need a reel for snapper capable of holding at least 200 meters of 7kg line.
Obviously if yer using braid then even the small reels will do that pretty comfortably, but if yer using mono then you might need something a touch larger.

Then comes the other main mitigating factor – balance.
Using say a 6-10kg rod, with 8kg line, & a small 1000 size reel just doesn’t make sense.
The balance is just all wrong.
On the other hand if yer using say a 3-6kg stick, but matching it with a 6500 baitrunner then you’ve also got it totally wrong.

IMO I’d look at matching a 3-6kg stick with something of about 2500-3000 size, a 4-8kg rod would suit a 4000-4500 size reel, & a 6-10kg stick would be well matched with something of around 5000-6000 size.
Now again that’s just a guide. One of my favourtite snapper outfits consists of a 3-6kg Okuma Rebound Tournament stick with a 4000 Okuma Sallina II reel spooled with 5kg fins braid.

So, to finish off, I’d recommend as a general all round snapper outfit for PPB (boat use), a rod of around 6.5-7 foot, of about 4-8kg weight, matched to a 4000 reel spooled with 6-7kg line.
If you anticipate fishing the heavier tidal areas, or using your snapper outfit for gummys as well, then up it to say a 6-10kg stick with 8-10kg line & 4000-6000 reel.
If you want a bit more sport then try downsizing to a 3-6kg stick with 2500 reel spooled with say 4-5kg line.
If you’re aiming at a stick specifically for those real heavy , fast flowing waters of Westernport or Southern PPB, then even a 10-12 or 10-15kg outfit, using a 6000-6500 reel, spooled with say 15kg line isn’t out of the question.

Hope this helps a bit.

Any questions???

Bill.

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”