Baitcasters...Quantum Exo vs Daiwa and Shimano Caenan 100

Rod Bender

Baitcasters...Quantum Exo vs Daiwa and Shimano Caenan 100

Post by Rod Bender » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:14 pm

Hi peoples,
The Bender money spending juggernaut continues! Am looking at buying a couple baitcaster reels over the next few months. They will be going on Samurai rods, of which one of them can stop a truck! :) Originally was going to get 2 Quantum Exo's, different capacity and gear ratios. This (reel specs) I will sort out myself. Exo's seem to be great value (quality too from what I have heard) but wondering if they are on par with Daiwa baitcaster's? Or to put it another way, with Daiwa, are you just paying extra dollars for a reel the same quality as the Quantum?

If the Daiwa reel is superior, then I may buy one of each, the cheaper Exo for 'truck' (read fishing for cod in rivers) fishing as I don't do much and the more expensive Daiwa for 'light' (read 10 - 17lb rod) baitcast work which I do a fair bit of. Also, does anyone have any experience/idea about the Daiwa 'T-wing' casting thingy?
Thanks in advance
Jim
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

JoshW

Re: Baitcaster reels...Quantum Exo vs Daiwa.

Post by JoshW » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:30 pm

Which of the daiwa's are you looking at? I've got a zillion tw that I brought in from Japan and it's pretty nice. Think it was like $330 to my door. I haven't given it a really good work out yet though, so can't comment on longevity!

Maybe look at a Daiwa tatula? They're meant to be super reels. The quantums feel really good though, I had a look at the 'smoke' the other day. Nice reel. One bit of advice is don't get a new curado. I've seen several sent back with faults after little use!

Rod Bender

Post by Rod Bender » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:37 pm

JoshW wrote:Which of the daiwa's are you looking at? .......................................................................................................................

..................................................................One bit of advice is don't get a new curado. I've seen several sent back with faults after little use!
Nothing specific with the Dawia reels, except to say the higher end models. I am moving away from Shimano baitcasters...moving away from everything Shimano actually!
cheers
Jim

JoshW

Post by JoshW » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:44 pm

http://daiwafishing.com.au/products/2015-zillion-tw/

I have the 1516H model and I highly recommend!

Fish-Hunter

Post by Fish-Hunter » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:57 pm

I haven't seen Quantum baitcasters properly, but have heard good things about them. Daiwa is a proven brand name, as is Shimano, buy what feels best to you ;-)

drew 2

Post by drew 2 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:32 pm

Anyone have an opinion on the shimano caenan 100 i see them on the special for $119.

(sorry for the off topic hi-jack jim,but I didnt want to start a whole new thread & endure the responses)

Fishsniper

Re: Baitcasters...Quantum Exo vs Daiwa and Shimano Caenan 100

Post by Fishsniper » Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:04 pm

Quantum, Quantum, quantum

toygtr

Post by toygtr » Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:58 pm

What about abu garcia revo 3s. They have been making baitcasters longer than the rest. They are lighter and have internals i reckon.
The revo premiers and mgx's are very nice reels lighter than the shimano ci4+ chronarchs.

lachie.snow

Post by lachie.snow » Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:50 pm

The Quantums are a very nice reel, smooth and really light.

Rod Bender

Post by Rod Bender » Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:37 am

toygtr wrote:What about abu garcia revo 3s. They have been making baitcasters longer than the rest. They are lighter and have internals i reckon.
The revo premiers and mgx's ........
Local CA tackle store guy raves about these. I have had a look...not sure if it was these but there was one which come with 2 spools...I liked it! Just never know what I am going to end up with!
cheers
Jim

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”